Refractometer Joke!

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Refractometer Joke!

Unread postby malzrohr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:16 pm

You guys know the joke about a guy who thought he'd bought a really good refractometer made in China for a bargain?
image.jpg
2 dollar cent worth plastic calibration screw came off while calibrating the thing...

He hadn't.....
Glue it back on??
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Re: Refractometer Joke!

Unread postby rocketman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Hehe I bought one of those too (mine was something like Us$20), now I use both a hydrometer and the refractometer and they never match up. Mine has a metal calibration screw though..
rocketman

Unread postby malzrohr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:59 pm

rocketman wrote:Hehe I bought one of those too (mine was something like Us$20), now I use both a hydrometer and the refractometer and they never match up. Mine has a metal calibration screw though..

Like Einstein said: "A man with one watch knows exactly what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
I think I stick to my hydrometer for now. A refractometer is more or less useless once fermentation has started.
Every hydrometer measurement takes me 80ml of my wort/green beer. I'll have to account for that.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:18 pm

My refractometer is just sitting in the cupboard gathering dust.

Since I have bought the BM my brewing has become so predictable with the gravity results being extremely close to my software predictions that I really don't have a use for it any more. :|

I take an hydrometer reading of the wort immediately prior to adding the yeast and another reading when I am about to keg and that is it for these two readings tell me exactly what I need to know.

For the OP, ahhh! The good old chinese manufactured equipment.
If nothing else is said, they are cheap. :roll:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:18 am

Do you calibrate your equipment? I have a refractometer and three hydrometers.

Refractometer is right on.

Hydrometers.. only one is correct.. the other two oars usable..but I have to fake into consideration the offset.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Eldoreth » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:53 am

Isn't there a formula to use the refracto during fermentation to get the SG readings?
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:30 am

Eldoreth wrote:Isn't there a formula to use the refracto during fermentation to get the SG readings?

Yup, I use the calculator in BeerSmith. It's usually pretty close.

Unread postby Batz » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:12 am

Dicko wrote:My refractometer is just sitting in the cupboard gathering dust.

Since I have bought the BM my brewing has become so predictable with the gravity results being extremely close to my software predictions that I really don't have a use for it any more. :|

Put that on on AHB :lol: :lol: Along with my signature perhaps??
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Batz wrote:
Dicko wrote:My refractometer is just sitting in the cupboard gathering dust.

Put that on on AHB :lol: :lol: Along with my signature perhaps??

Hahaha, no good feeding the doubters mate... :lol: :lol:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Eldoreth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:59 pm

@Nesto: thank you, I will have a look at that. Easier than taking samples for the spindle with each time the necessary sanitation...
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:51 am

Eldoreth wrote:@Nesto: thank you, I will have a look at that. Easier than taking samples for the spindle with each time the necessary sanitation...

BTW, you do need to make sure you have a starting gravity reading. The calculator and my refractometer are good enough that I use my refractometer for the SG reading, plug that into the BeerSmith calculator for unfermented wort.

Unread postby Eldoreth » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:02 am

Not sure I got that completely....Before adding yeast, I will have my OG reading. Then everything starts to ferment. I wouls like to use the refracto to measure when i hit the FG. Those measurements need to be corrected via a formula to compensate for the alcohol right? And you told me that this formula is incorporated in Beersmith correct? Sorry for the confusion...
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:44 am

Eldoreth wrote:Not sure I got that completely....Before adding yeast, I will have my OG reading. Then everything starts to ferment. I wouls like to use the refracto to measure when i hit the FG. Those measurements need to be corrected via a formula to compensate for the alcohol right? And you told me that this formula is incorporated in Beersmith correct? Sorry for the confusion...

Sorry, I probably made it more confusing :)

Yes, all you need is OG before pitching and then refractometer reading of fermenting wort. You'll find the calculator in the Tools menu, called... wait for it... Refractometer!

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Those measurements need to be corrected via a formula to compensate for the alcohol right? And you told me that this formula is incorporated in Beersmith correct?

I use this one:
http://seanterrill.com
It has a user-friendly online calculator and a very nice Excel data sheet. It seems to be very accurate.
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby RobW » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:50 pm

I have a refractometer which I calibrate at zero with water but I worry about drift as the SG increases because I don't have another accurate standard to use.
You see drift with those cheap stick thermometers too - they match a calibrated thermometer at certain temperatures but can be several degrees off at other points and usually there's no consistency to it.
For a hydrometer I have thought of taking a sample straight after yeast pitch and then covering it and leaving it in the fermentation chamber and measuring it each day as fermentation progresses.
The assumption is that it will ferment at the same rate as the fermenter - but it's an assumption and there may be differences between a small sample and 20 plus litres in the fermenter.

Anybody see any glaring problems with the theory?
I plan to test it with my next brew.
It would avoid the need to take multiple hydrometer samples and reduce opportunities for introducing infections plus save a little beer.

Rob
RobW

Next

Return to The Pub