The Brewing Network

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

The Brewing Network

Unread postby niels » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 pm

I was wondering who listens to the shows on the Brewing Network. I tried a few times, but since I'm not used to listening to English radio it requires too much of my attention to follow the shows. But because exercise makes perfect I'll keep trying...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: The Brewing Network

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:27 pm

I listen fairly regularly to most of their shows. The Session is their long one - a little like if Howard Stern became a beer geek. If you're new to the show, it's a little racist, a little sexist and quite sophomoric humor,,, yet I quite enjoy it. They get some some fantastic guests talking about all kinds of brewing topics.

I think for someone who's 2nd (or 3rd, 4th or 5th) language is English (you darn Europeans! you're way better than us in the US at language), I think one of the shorter form shows might be easier to follow.

Brewing with Style (The Jamil Show)- Jamil Zainasheff, John Plise and often Mike McDole talk about a specific style in each show.

Brew Strong - Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer talk about a variety of brewing process topics. There is also a regular series of shows they slip in about going professional. Jamil did just that himself. He was a two time Ninkasi Award winner who went pro a few years ago with Heretic Brewing.

Dr. Homebrew - JP (Jason Patros) hosts with two BJCP Master Judges - Lee Shepard and Brian Cooper. They have listeners send their beers in and go through the BJCP score sheet interactively with the listeners who call in.

All 3 of these shows are an hour or so, and may be easier to follow than than The Session, which has a lot more colloquial English. The 3 I mentioned are also a little more about the technical side of brewing vs. The Session, which mixes in a lot more humor, personality and frivolity.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby gert » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm

'Basis Brewing Radio' is the best! Great voice, good recording, good to understand (the man who makes it is a professional voice-over guy, so that's why it sounds so good). I listen to every episode while driving to my work. Very interesting. Love it! Also nice: these Americans are crazy about Belgian beers! (very funny how those guys pronounce 'saison', 'Dubuison', 'Cantillon' etc...)
Number two: BeerSmith podcast. Maybe better content, but Brad Smith's voice is not as good, and also the recording is a bit poor (especially when you listen in the car). But very, very interesting; I listen to most of his podcasts.

And 'The Brewing Nerwork': well...that sucks... I stopped my subscription on this one: too 'American', too MTV/Discovery Channel, too much 'boys & their toys', sexist indeed, too childish ('puberaal' I would say in Dutch). Just listen to the opening trailer: how more commercial can you be? Absolutely not for me.
gert

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:52 am

my unsolicited opinions:

beersmith: great guests, but the guy is the worst interviewer i have ever heard. sometimes i can't make it though the podcast, i get too upset. he doesn't listen to the guest, and he tries to answer his own questions. i stopped listening, unless he has a really great guest, like charlie bamforth or (holland's own?) ron pattinson. i like his software though!

basic brewing: very nice, gentle, professional. the hosts are so likeable. i also contact the main host (james) by email somewhat regularly, he has helped get me in touch with people who had answers to my questions, and i even met one guest from the show for a beer when he was in NL, through james (it was the toxicologist guy, for those who listen, and i gave him a bottle of westvleteren 12 for his efforts on the show!). and i have sent some pronunciation suggestions (roeselare is the one that kills me... and gruit is quite funny), but forget that. their video podcasts are also very silly and fun. the content is great for beginners, but still interesting for advanced brewers. the fact that it's so interactive is what makes it special, you can get your experiments on there quite easily if you do something interesting. and they had a BM episode with a norwegian homebrew champ who had a severe cold at the time. (is he on here??)

brewing network: i am a fan, because there is just so much useful content there, but i do agree that the shows can be purile, juvenile (=puberaal), and so on. i don't think they are racist, but some of them are clearly right leaning super capitalists which is better than racist but not my cup of tea. HOWEVER: the amount of information just in the brew strong podcast alone is stunning. if you are a beginner and you listen to those shows right through, on every little tiny aspect of brewing, and fast-forward the advertisements, you are going to come out knowing way more than you though you would ever know, if you can 1. follow the language and 2. get over the fact that they use idiotic imperial measurements which don't make sense to a lot of people. what the hell is quart per pound mash ratio?? what's 153 farenheight? these things can be looked up, but not while you're on your bike or shaking a keg full of sanitizer (or both).
'can you brew it' was very interesting, both to discover how certain beers are made and to think about how you might go about trying to replicate the flavors. i have tried a few of the recipes from that show.
the session has a LOT of BS but some very interesting guests. the BS can largely be avoided by fast-forwarding.

those are the ones i listen to, haven't tried any others.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:41 am

dinnerstick wrote:... 2. get over the fact that they use idiotic imperial measurements which don't make sense to a lot of people. what the hell is quart per pound mash ratio?? what's 153 farenheight? these things can be looked up, but not while you're on your bike or shaking a keg full of sanitizer (or both)...

I switched over to full metric when I got my BM. I've got to the point where I'm not exactly sure how hot or what volume or mass they're talking about

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:07 am

I suffer through Brew Strong occasionally. Despite some annoying banter and advertising that takes up half the show, I've gotten some really excellent information from them.
Elderberry

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:37 am

i think it's only possible to listen to it if you have a device with a good fast forward function, like a slide bar that is long enough to give some accuracy, or a 30 second jump button. i can't stand the adverts, but every now and then i can't get my hands free in time to fast forward through them, and i have to say there is one funny one- the apocalypse has come and all the alcohol has been consumed, and only the home brewer provides a hope for the thirsty masses.... it's funny.
dinnerstick

Return to The Pub