A Mess to Clean Up This Morning

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

A Mess to Clean Up This Morning

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Well, I have had my BM for 18 months now and I thought I was getting pretty good with its use.

Because I am time poor at the moment with work, I decided to mash overnite as has been discussed on here and I set it all going and went to bed.
When I went to the Brauhaus this morning there was a mess of sticky wort all around the BM on the floor.

What had happened is that sometime during the mash process the machine developed a "Wort Fountain" and it has squirted up and hit the lid and then ran out of the sides of the lid and down over the BM and the bench and floor.

I measured the remaining wort and I had lost 2.5 litres :( but when I measured the gravity I was able to top up with 2 litres to get my original predicted gravity.
At least that went OK.

Well, while I was cleaning up around the BM I must have inadvertently bumped the power cord and it has momentarily lost connection thus cancelling the brewing control program :cry: so now I am running on manual with my phone timer so that I may complete the brew.

It is just lucky that I have a sense of humour. :lol: :roll:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Re: A Mess to Clean Up This Morning

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Wow Dicko! Sorry to hear that!
It happened to me once, when I had problems with the grain mill and crushed it to fine and almost happened to a friend of mine that was using oats flakes in his grit.
Victor Coelho

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Victor Coelho wrote:Wow Dicko! Sorry to hear that!
It happened to me once, when I had problems with the grain mill and crushed it to fine and almost happened to a friend of mine that was using oats flakes in his grit.

I cant understand what happened.
I haven't done anything differently to what I normally do.
I haven't changed my grain mill setting and the grist was pale malt and a small amount of crystal.
I have finished that brew now and I am about to make an APA so I will be watching this one from start to finish :wink:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:01 am

In my case and my friend's case I was sure that small particles caused by the finely crushed grains and oats flakes had clogged the filter screen making the wort squirt.
But now I got confused as I agree with you that is definitely not your case.
Could be another explanation?
Victor Coelho

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:17 am

Dicko wrote:Well, while I was cleaning up around the BM I must have inadvertently bumped the power cord and it has momentarily lost connection thus cancelling the brewing control program :cry: so now I am running on manual with my phone timer so that I may complete the brew.

Dicko,

I've lost power before when the extension lead power board tripped, but when I restarted the BM it asked me if I wanted to continue where I'd left off before.

It recognised that the power was cut mid program and must somehow know where to resume the program when you re-start.

Maybe it's a function that was introduced after your BM was built.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby IPA » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:51 am

Cervantes wrote:
Dicko wrote:Well, while I was cleaning up around the BM I must have inadvertently bumped the power cord and it has momentarily lost connection thus cancelling the brewing control program :cry: so now I am running on manual with my phone timer so that I may complete the brew.

Dicko,

I've lost power before when the extension lead power board tripped, but when I restarted the BM it asked me if I wanted to continue where I'd left off before.

It recognised that the power was cut mid program and must somehow know where to resume the program when you re-start.

They have had this function ever since they added the programmer and ceased production of the all manual model
IPA

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:13 am

Cervantes wrote:

Dicko,

I have had the power go off once for a moment and as well as the cord being accidentally dislodged during my unavoidable clean up and my BM appears to just want to start the complete set program again from the beginning.

Can any of you guys tell me how to access the resume function?

I have the continue or abort option if I manually stop the programmed progress by holding both buttons simultaneously but I don't seem to have that option if there is a break in the power supply??
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:05 am

Dicko wrote:I have the continue or abort option if I manually stop the programmed progress by holding both buttons simultaneously but I don't seem to have that option if there is a break in the power supply??

Dicko,

I'm pretty sure that I just selected the continue option and it continued from where it had left off. So my BM at least gives that option if the power supply is interrupted.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:07 am

Cervantes wrote:
Dicko wrote:I have the continue or abort option if I manually stop the programmed progress by holding both buttons simultaneously but I don't seem to have that option if there is a break in the power supply??

Dicko,

I'm pretty sure that I just selected the continue option and it continued from where it had left off. So my BM at least gives that option if the power supply is interrupted.

When the power goes off on my BM and then resumes I am left with the start screen, so how do I get to the screen that gives me the choice to continue?
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:17 am

Dicko,

I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure that when the power came back on I was given the option to resume or restart straight away.

I certainly don't recall having to look for the option.

In fact it would never have occurred to me that there might be one, so it must have been the first thing that I saw once the power came back on.

I did try and look in the manual for an answer for you, but couldn't see anything relevant in there.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby niels » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 am

The resume option might be implemented in a later firmware. I'll start a thread for collecting info about the differences between the BM versions. I'll have to prepare some questions, though.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby perdido » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:47 am

Today I accidentaly unplugged the chord while mashing. When I plugged it again the program resumed where it stopped although it did start with a pump break. I don't think that the pump break was due so early. Maybe it's an added safety measure.

I am also having issues with wort fountains since the malt grist is low at only 3,1kg for an ordinary bitter recipe (20 litre BM).

I ended up turning down pump speed using the small dial on the pump. I think older BM had a different pump without this feature.
perdido

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:45 pm

niels wrote:The resume option might be implemented in a later firmware. I'll start a thread for collecting info about the differences between the BM versions. I'll have to prepare some questions, though.

- Niels

Niels, I would appreciate your enquiries as I dont believe My model allows me to resume.

It would be great if it could. :D
Dicko

Unread postby IPA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:13 pm

perdido wrote:Today I accidentaly unplugged the chord while mashing. When I plugged it again the program resumed where it stopped although it did start with a pump break. I don't think that the pump break was due so early. Maybe it's an added safety measure.

I am also having issues with wort fountains since the malt grist is low at only 3,1kg for an ordinary bitter recipe (20 litre BM).

I ended up turning down pump speed using the small dial on the pump. I think older BM had a different pump without this feature.

If you have wort fountains try thoroughly mixing the grist and water before putting the top filter in place and that should cure the problem
IPA

Unread postby perdido » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:54 pm

IPA wrote:
perdido wrote:Today I accidentaly unplugged the chord while mashing. When I plugged it again the program resumed where it stopped although it did start with a pump break. I don't think that the pump break was due so early. Maybe it's an added safety measure.

If you have wort fountains try thoroughly mixing the grist and water before putting the top filter in place and that should cure the problem

I did try mixing again the grain to redistribure it and eliminate channels... but only turning down pump speed cured it to some extent. I also remove the top filter plate to mix the grain a couple of times during mashing as a regular practice.
perdido

Next

Return to The Pub