Drinking in Holland (aka The Netherlands)

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Drinking in Holland (aka The Netherlands)

Unread postby niels » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:00 am

While the rest of the family takes a little nap I'm having a quiet moment in the garden of our holiday house. Since the little shop nearby didn't have a great range of Dutch beers I'm drinking a La Trappe Witte Trappist. Not bad with this weather, but I wouldn't rate it much higher than my (questionable) attempt of a witbier.

So... I'm looking at Dinnerstick (and any other Dutch member or connaisseur) and ask you this: "Which Dutch beers should I take home on Friday?".

I found a shop nearby that seems to have about 150 Dutch beers: https://www.mitra.nl/webshop/groep/bier/ But a lot of them seems like bigger brands, though.

My nephew is a fan of De Molen and Emilisse of which I didn't have any beers yet. So these are going into my shopping cart.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: Drinking in Holland (aka The Netherlands)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:37 pm

let's see.... i sense a long winded reply coming... the dutch beer scene has its ups and downs, the craft brew scene is so new and still finding its direction compared to US, UK, BE, etc. but there are good things in there.
i should state first off that i'm not a fan of la trappe, i guess their wit is ok but their bigger beers are all sticky sweet, banana bombs. compared to westmalle, rochefort, st sixtus/westvleteren, etc they are not in the same league. i had one sip of zundert, the new trappist, and it was nice, but i need to sit down with a proper glass.
for me the most interesting beers coming from the dutch scene are from the smaller brewers and homebrewers-turned-gypsy brewers. friends from the homebrew scene include oedipus, who are now making a few nice spiced saison (one with lemongrass, one with szechuan pepper), a great medium-range stout. also friends are the guys at oersoep, who just bought a big installation in nijmegen and recently added 6 giant foeders, but all the stuff available now was brewed in 50L braumeisters. they do interesting fermentations, sacc, brett, bugs; doing their own thing. they don't have anything out from the new place yet, but their previous beers are nice, a flemish red ale, saisons, and some hoppy brett combinations, barley wine. expensive though.
other nice small breweries are: mommerite, they make various sorts, a great bitter rauchbier. maximus, my local, where i once brewed my recipe with them (almost ready to go to kegs!), my favorites are 'dunbar' a 3.6% hoppy pale and an 8% imperial saison, but i don't know if either of those goes to bottles. utrecht local gypsybrewers duits & lauret make a range of high quality beers, darker winter beers are excellent as well as their simple blond ale. SNAB makes interesting beers, very varied.
from the mitra list, i noted these:
emelisse black ipa is very good. their russian imperial stouts are top top notch, i love the barrel aged ones but they are not everyone's cup of tea. their barleywine is also very nice.
de molen is the most famous craft brewer but for me is hit or miss. some great imperial stouts, that's what they are famous for. sloppy bottling- weird fill levels, huge yeast cakes in the hoppy beers, to me that's pretty amateur and not nice. nice hoppy american pale ales that go all cloudy and mucky on the second pour. and they had some infection issues over the past couple years. would be nice to see them tidy up the ship a bit. their good beers are good, and they are important in the craft scene here as they help out a lot of smaller brewers.
duits & lauret - tevreden. great beer.
't ij natte, but it's really a belgian abbey beer copy. nice though
jopen (goon 'normal' beers too) ongelivige thomas. big beer. brewery in a converted church in haarlem, great pace to piss away an afternoon
kompaan, also known through the homebrew community, some good beers, but they are all numbered rather than named and i don't remember which number is which. a nice hoppy lager, a big stout with port.
maximus pandora- good pale ale with fruity hops, a local standard if not super exciting, can drink a lot of it happily. brutus is their hoppy lager, also nice.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:40 pm

i typed "goon 'normal' beers", which doesn't make sense.
maybe i meant good normal bears.
or beers for normal goons.
i can't remember
dinnerstick

Unread postby Elderberry » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Dinnerstick covered my recommendations (Emelisse, etc.), but have either of you had the Puur from La Trappe? Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a very nice, easy drinking, well made beer. Great for summer.
Elderberry

Unread postby niels » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Elderberry wrote:Dinnerstick covered my recommendations (Emelisse, etc.), but have either of you had the Puur from La Trappe? Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a very nice, easy drinking, well made beer. Great for summer.

I can't remember ever seeing the "Puur". I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks for the lengthy response, dinner stick.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby gert » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Completely agree with Dinnerstick's analysis (Emelisse, De Molen, Jopen, 't IJ, Maximus).
One more: Ramses Bier (brewed at De 3 Horne; nice beers like Den Dorstige Tijger).
gert

Model: 200 litres

Unread postby Mr O » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:04 am

It's a bit late to reply to this thread but hey ho....
My girlfriend is Dutch and I spend a lot of time in NL

I have a couple of additions to the above list of breweries:

Het Uiltje - http://www.brouwerijhetuiltje.nl/indexuk.html
Vandestreek -
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Mr O wrote:It's a bit late to reply to this thread but hey ho....
My girlfriend is Dutch and I spend a lot of time in NL

I have a couple of additions to the above list of breweries:

Het Uiltje - http://www.brouwerijhetuiltje.nl/indexuk.html
Vandestreek -

i'll add ruig to the list, he has a small 3 vessel brewery outside utrecht (big version of a homebrew setup) and some speidel ss fermenters, and he makes a few regular beers and a few experimental beers, one of the few small dutch brewers who doesn't contract brew. and we're doing a collaboration on his system for the utrecht bierbrouwer's festival 2015!
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:36 pm

jacketed 525L speidel fermenters at ruig brewery. very nice looking bits of kit. (jacketed but not yet on any glycol system!)
IMG_8575.JPG
dinnerstick

Unread postby bierfest » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:32 pm

Things of beauty! I wonder how much one of those would set you back.
bierfest

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:33 pm

bierfest wrote:Things of beauty! I wonder how much one of those would set you back.

jacketed, i've seen them 1200eu+vat (@brouwland). unjacketed 800.
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Very nice, I like the fact that the airlocks look like the standard one's they use on their 30 & 60 litre fermentors too :D
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 pm

BrauTim wrote:Very nice, I like the fact that the airlocks look like the standard one's they use on their 30 & 60 litre fermentors too :D

Ah ha, so they so :shock:
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Return to The Pub