My favourite kickstarter yet

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

My favourite kickstarter yet

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:36 am

I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Model: 20 litres

Re: My favourite kickstarter yet

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:45 am

I have been following these guys' progress fairly closely since their two-rod prototype.

If this works, that would be really be revolutionary - SWMBO-friendly controlled fermentation :beerbang:

Unread postby niels » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:03 am

We had a discussion about this on the Flemish forum. It is a nice idea, but I'm certain it has it drawbacks.

One of the main things I'm not so fond of is the fact that all the cooling/heating is done on a small surface compared to e.g. using a fridge. I'm no scientist, so maybe this hot/cold spot doesn't impact the beer/fermentation that much.

Also, I suppose the cooling/heating capacity will be limited to the ambient temperature. So lagering during a hot summer still isn't possible.

The price... For that money you have a cheap second hand fridge and a Chinese temperature controller with spare money for ingredients.

Of course, if you live in a small apartment and can't put a fridge it certainly is a viable option.

It's not because I'm not all positive that I don't like their idea, admire their engineering skills and wish them a successful business!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:27 am

Brilliant! Especially if it actually works. A heat exchange with a fan should be able to get below ambient temps (just like a swamp cooler), but 35F is a bit questionable. I'm with Niels on the price, but as the Broumeister has proven, it doesn't mean people with small spaces and decent incomes will be deterred. If I were still an apartment dweller, I'd be all over it.
Elderberry

Unread postby fy0d0r » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 am

I've seen this earlier as well.

I'd not worry about the contact area as wort will be moving around the rod due to convection.

But the price seems to be extremely high.

Even if they use the pure copper (best heat conductor among metals apart from silver ) the rod of 30mm in diameter in 50 cm long will weight about 3.5 kilo ~$40
Peltie Element (called "patent pending solid state cooling system") - $4
Radiator $10
Cooler $3
Electronic Thermostat $12
Power Supply $15

So one with some minimal high-school engineering background could build the same in an couple of hours for $84 max, not $299 asked at Kickstarter :twisted:
fy0d0r

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:19 am

fy0d0r wrote:I've seen this earlier as well.

I'd not worry about the contact area as wort will be moving around the rod due to convection.

But the price seems to be extremely high.

Even if they use the pure copper (best heat conductor among metals apart from silver ) the rod of 30mm in diameter in 50 cm long will weight about 3.5 kilo ~$40
Peltie Element (called "patent pending solid state cooling system") - $4
Radiator $10
Cooler $3
Electronic Thermostat $12
Power Supply $15

So one with some minimal high-school engineering background could build the same in an couple of hours for $84 max, not $299 asked at Kickstarter :twisted:

My guess is that things are not as simple.

In order to cool 5 gallons of wort by 35F below ambient (I know that their performance claim may be contestable) - I don't think a $4 Peltier element is gonna cut it.

For its 7.5 gallon heated/cooled conical, MoreBeer charges USD 1.8k :!: : http://morebeer.com/products/75-gallon- ... ooled.html

I think that if DYI was an easy option, neither the Brewjacket nor MoreBeer would've been able to command such prices.

The type of Peltier elements that both of these guys are using must be something high-performance along these lines:

https://tetech.com/product-category/cold-plate-coolers/

Those easily take the cost into the low 3-digits just for the element itself.

Electronic thermostat must be fairly precise, so I don't they are using anything less than STC-1000.

Those go for ~$20: http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-All-purpos ... B00862G3TQ

Lastly - let's not forget the thick carboy "jacket" that they supply - that's probably another USD 20.

So I think the price is quite reasonable and on par with buying a small fridge that can fit a carboy.

Unread postby fy0d0r » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:29 am

You may be right, but I still believe they use "cheap" peltier (as per their photos) rather than $150 ones.
Thermostat you've referred to has +-1C and in fact the "similar" model to what I was referring to

In fact it is more important to engineer the heat dissipation right instead of putting more powerful peltier modules.

In any case the DIY one will be at lest 2 times cheaper.

Anyway it would be nice to see this project go ahead to understand the concept viability (and then probably buy the "similar" device on ali for $50 in a year :lol: )
fy0d0r

Return to The Pub