Any hop gardeners here?

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Re: Any hop gardeners here?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:26 pm

i've had 4-5 little red shoots from my one 2nd year cascade rhizome for about a month already. the tallest is maybe 4cm. the weather here has been pretty foul so they are wisely biding their time for now.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby peram » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 pm

These are eagerly awaiting to get outside :)Image. It's two cascade and one chinook. Have no clue if they will survive here in Norway, but it's worth a try:)
peram

Unread postby Brambo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:38 pm

Wow these are all very large!

I have 2 plants 1 EK golding en 1 Cascade.
I've scheduled in early November and now there are +- 10cm
Brambo

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:43 am

malzrohr wrote:That would be highly appreciated! I see your location is Utrecht. I have a customer in Zeist that I visit 1-2 times a week. I'll PM you and see if we can arrange something.

Ok- round 2- Since I killed the plant I offered last year I can now offer you this year's first cutting- a nice and healthy rooted cascade plant!
dinnerstick

Unread postby Mr O » Sat May 02, 2015 9:49 pm

I'm a hop gardener, i have 3 plants and another that will arrive anytime soon.

Fuggle - year 3
Cascade - year 2
Northdown - year 2
Chinook - year 1 (when it arrives)
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue May 19, 2015 5:56 am

Cascade cuttings, rooted and healthy. when the plant came up this spring i selected the biggest shoot, and cut all the secondary ones (a bit of biblical violence for a saturday morning). i rooted the larger ones in plain water, transferred to soil when they had a healthy root system, and there they are in front of mama. the main one is already ~5m high!
WP_20150519_001.jpg
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:02 am

This is my 2nd year cascade, now really full of cones. It's a beast. The first pic was taken as it reached the top of the railing on my roof terrace a couple months back. That's almost 4 storeys high, over 10m. I trimmed off all the lower branches so it would go up as high as possible and fill out the railings on the roof and in front of the doors on the floor below.
I am not exactly sure when to harvest, they are not yet turning yellow (although some at the top have patches of dark brown, don't know why!?), and the aromas are just developing. It's going from kind of diesel aroma to now a bit piney/fruity. The glands inside are just developing, with a little bit of the powdery yellow crystals appearing. Luckily we are having a sunny spell after a lot of rain, so hopefully they will ripen up before the really crappy weather (it's mostly crappy weather here anyways, but late autumn tends to be the worst). I had to harvest maybe a bit early last year, and was surprised to get a harvest at all from a 1st year bine, it wasn't super aromatic, but then I didn't really know what to expect from cascade in this climate and environment.
DSC_1311.jpeg

DSC_1318.jpeg

DSC_1320.jpeg

DSC_1321.jpeg

DSC_1323.jpeg

DSC_1324.jpeg

DSC_1326.jpeg
dinnerstick

Unread postby Mr O » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 am

Looking good mate, don't let them turn to brown else they will start smelling like onions. I'm going to harvest my cascades this week some time, maybe today 8)

Edited to say : Last year I had already harvested my cascades. We must have had a better summer I'm guessing.
Mr O

Unread postby Icefever » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:51 am

I've been given two plants in 8" pots by a friend at the allotments.....unfortunately he can't remember the name.... :roll: :roll: I'm going to plant near the shed and run wires to a pole.

It's going to be a "suck it and see" for taste & aroma next year.. :lol:
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:08 am

Mr O wrote:Looking good mate, don't let them turn to brown else they will start smelling like onions. I'm going to harvest my cascades this week some time, maybe today 8)

Edited to say : Last year I had already harvested my cascades. We must have had a better summer I'm guessing.

I'm curious what they smelled like when you harvested them. If I sniff normal US cascade I get citrus and pine, these aromas are in short supply in mine...
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:10 am

Icefever wrote:I've been given two plants in 8" pots by a friend at the allotments.....unfortunately he can't remember the name.... :roll: :roll: I'm going to plant near the shed and run wires to a pole.

It's going to be a "suck it and see" for taste & aroma next year.. :lol:

If they are just cuttings then it may be a few years before you get a substantial harvest. Even with a healthy rhizome it can take a couple years to get established. But then you never know, they might make enough cones next year for a bit of late hopping.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Icefever » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:58 am

dinnerstick wrote: If they are just cuttings then it may be a few years before you get a substantial harvest. Even with a healthy rhizome it can take a couple years to get established. But then you never know, they might make enough cones next year for a bit of late hopping.

I'm not sure but I think he said they were from rhizome cuttings.....I see when I get around to planting them next spring.. :wink:
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Unread postby Mr O » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:45 am

dinnerstick wrote:
Mr O wrote:Looking good mate, don't let them turn to brown else they will start smelling like onions. I'm going to harvest my cascades this week some time, maybe today 8)

I'm curious what they smelled like when you harvested them. If I sniff normal US cascade I get citrus and pine, these aromas are in short supply in mine...

I am actually going to harvest mine today. The smell / aroma is really cascade ish 'sniff, sniff' :lol:
Mr O

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:15 pm

i'm holding out until the current spell of high pressure is gone.... i'll have a sniff tomorrow and formulate a plan.
dinnerstick

Previous

Return to The Pub