Any hop gardeners here?

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Re: Any hop gardeners here?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:56 pm

just finished harvesting my first year cascades. i'm astonished how much i got. i missed a few cones that are intertwined with the neighbor's grape vine. the tupperware thing is actually bigger than it looks. and that's me waving to you. yeah, you. hi guy
i started harvesting a few days back but they didn't smell like much so i left most on the bine for another week. i guess that was good as now they are distinctly grapefruity. not overwhelming, but it's there.

WP_20141002_001.jpg
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Very nice! Those cones look very tasty!

I hope to put some poles up next year... Priorities, priorities :(

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:00 am

Yesterday, I saw a hop bine (wild?) growing in my neighborhood. Do you guys have some reliable online references on what and how I can take part of this plant for further cultivation in my small garden? Like must I take part of the rhizome or is it possible to take a shoot for that? I am clueless with regard to gardening but I seems like great fun to try out.

References found on the internet:
  1. Hops in the Backyard: From Planting to Harvest and the Hazards in Between (Stephanie Montell)
  2. Growing Hops in the Garden: How to Grow Beer Hops (Brad Smith)
  3. How to dry hops at home; The NonconFERMist

Books:
  1. The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs; D, Fisher, J. Fisher; ISBN-13: 978-1580170109
  2. The Complete Guide to Growing Your Own Hops, Malts, and Brewing Herbs: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply; John N. , Jr. Peragine; ISBN-13: 978-1601383532
Last edited by malzrohr on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:29 pm

you can grow hops from a cutting, using similar techniques as for other plants. cut a young vegetative shoot, so one that isn't making flowers. sometimes in the autumn it's tough to find one. get about 20-30 cm. cut off all of the older leaves, leaving only the very young ones at the tip. stick it in a bottle of water so that the bottom ~5cm are submerged, and leave it in indirect light until you start to see new roots, with hops it goes pretty quickly and you should see them in a couple weeks. then transplant to soil, and in the spring put them in the ground. i'm not sure how long it takes to grow up a big bine from cuttings, compared to buying a rhizome, but i'll be putting some in the ground next year.
dinnerstick

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:01 pm

dinnerstick wrote:you can grow hops from a cutting, using similar techniques as for other plants. cut a young vegetative shoot, so one that isn't making flowers. sometimes in the autumn it's tough to find one. get about 20-30 cm. cut off all of the older leaves, leaving only the very young ones at the tip. stick it in a bottle of water so that the bottom ~5cm are submerged, and leave it in indirect light until you start to see new roots, with hops it goes pretty quickly and you should see them in a couple weeks. then transplant to soil, and in the spring put them in the ground. i'm not sure how long it takes to grow up a big bine from cuttings, compared to buying a rhizome, but i'll be putting some in the ground next year.

I'll take these words from a biologist without questioning. Let's see if I can make this work.
Thanks dinnerstick!

hopscheuten.JPG
Hop shoots in water. Well, let's see if this is going to get anywhere..

hop bloem open1.JPG
Opened flower
Last edited by malzrohr on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:32 pm

actually if you want a rooted cascade cutting i can give you one!
dinnerstick

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:51 pm

That would be highly appreciated! I see your location is Utrecht. I have a customer in Zeist that I visit 1-2 times a week. I'll PM you and see if we can arrange something.
malzrohr

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:29 am

Hi malzrohr, i have your hop plant ready but you didn't reply to PM, are you around?
dinnerstick

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:57 am

Hi Dinnerstick,
Yes, I am around...
In the mean time the hop shoots have become to look like this:
foto 1.JPG

foto 2.JPG

I guess the slim pointy white thingy on the left is a rootlet and the thick bubbly white stuff on the right is the starting of a shoot?
Interesting to see is that the parts that have been submerged in water have sort of toughened and are cracking open longitudinally.
Would now be the time to plant them (horizontally with rootlet facing down and shoots facing up) or would it be beneficial to let it develop some more and possibly provide some nutrients like:

gtin8719400007879_2d1 (200x200_JPG).jpg
plant nutrients
gtin8719400007879_2d1 (200x200_JPG).jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Hans
malzrohr

Unread postby Mr O » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:58 pm

I've got 3 plants so far.

Fuggle - 3 years old this year
Cascade - 2 years old this year
North Down - 2 years old this year

I'm thinking of adding a Chinook to my collection this year :beer:

They are in big pots at the mo but when the back garden is finished I intend to put them into the ground but restrict the growth. They grow like jack in the bean stalk in pots :shock:
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby gorbachev » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:43 pm

planing to grow on my roof-backyard, it is second floor of the building and has air conditioners, still better then nothing :D
Attachments
IMG_20150116_085903.jpg
gorbachev

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:55 pm

malzrohr wrote:Hi Dinnerstick,
Yes, I am around...

Whoops, this thread coming back to life reminds me that I killed your seedling that I rooted.... well- the leaves fell off and my girlfriend threw it out thinking it was dead. sorry. I'll happily root a new one for you in the spring if you still want it!!
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm

gorbachev wrote:planing to grow on my roof-backyard, it is second floor of the building and has air conditioners, still better then nothing :D

Do you have something it can climb up? they can grow >3m in a year! or, have you seen the rope-trick, where you have a very long rope tied to a short trellis, with lots of extra rope at the top, let them grow up the rope, and when they reach the top you release some more rope from the top, so they just keep running in place like a treadmill? maybe that's not a great description but apparently it works!
dinnerstick

Unread postby gorbachev » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:28 pm

dinnerstick wrote:
gorbachev wrote:planing to grow on my roof-backyard, it is second floor of the building and has air conditioners, still better then nothing :D

Do you have something it can climb up? they can grow >3m in a year! or, have you seen the rope-trick, where you have a very long rope tied to a short trellis, with lots of extra rope at the top, let them grow up the rope, and when they reach the top you release some more rope from the top, so they just keep running in place like a treadmill? maybe that's not a great description but apparently it works!

that is what I'm thinking about, but I'm renting this apartment, so will need to ask the owner.
Thought about "rooftop hop farm" but it's a crazy idea in terms of rent cost in Brooklyn...
gorbachev

Unread postby Mr O » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:49 am

My hops are all covered over at the moment. I might let the light and the weather to them sometime this month 8)
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Model: 20 litres (2015)

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub