Any hop gardeners here?

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Any hop gardeners here?

Unread postby rocketman » Fri May 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Have seven plants, all new for this year, grows like crazy last 24 hours almost 20cm and 10 of those during the night to today!

Northern brewer, cascade and saaz.

uploadfromtaptalk1400871534274.jpg
rocketman

Model: 20 litres

Re: Any hop gardeners here?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat May 24, 2014 5:05 pm

my back yard is a construction site, but my first-year cascade bine is pretty happy. made it above the neighbor's grape.

WP_20140524_001.jpg
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat May 24, 2014 6:42 pm

dinnerstick wrote:my back yard is a construction site, but my first-year cascade bine is pretty happy. made it above the neighbor's grape.

I like it - grape vs hop :lol:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby hughjampton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:54 pm

I planted a Nugget about ten weeks ago which is now about 3 meters tall and growing about 6 cm a day. I chose nugget because I read that it's a good variety for clay soil. If it does OK I'll try another variety next year, probably Mathon.

I don't expect any Nugget cones until next year but if I do get some I don't know what to make. I think it'll make a great stout. Any suggestions?
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby niels » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 pm

I want to put some hops in the garden, but since the garden was unattended for a few years (previous owner was in a home and during renovation the garden wasn't a top priority) I will have to continue my efforts to get it presentable. This weekend I went loco with a small crane and drill to get rid of a lot of trees/roots.

Next: fixing the damage I did to the garden and hopefully I can put some hops in the ground by next season.

Someone on the Flemish homebrewers forum has a huge Fuggles plant and I will probably start with some seedlings from this plant. Oh, and his plant is near his compost heap which seems to have a very positive influence!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby rocketman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm almost afraid that my first year northern brewer will soon take over the house has grown almost a meter in a week.

uploadfromtaptalk1401826028365.jpg
rocketman

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 am

cones! backlit.
for a first year bine this thing is really making loads, i didn't expect much. there is no aroma as yet.
DSC_0571.jpg
dinnerstick

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:16 pm

dinnerstick wrote:cones! backlit.
for a first year bine this thing is really making loads, i didn't expect much. there is no aroma as yet.
DSC_0571.jpg

Congratulations :beer: Will aroma develop when drying them? I was going to try growing some here. Not sure how they'd cope with the long cold winter, though. -15 guaranteed, -20 quite likely.
McMullan

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:22 pm

this is my first go at it, but the aromas will develop as they ripen, and they start to produce oils and various aromatic compounds.
hops are pretty cold resistant, as the rhizome stays buried through the winter. i'm sure you can find the information you need online, but if your ground is completely frozen, you can grow hops in pots and store the rhizomes in a cellar through the winter.
dinnerstick

Unread postby gert » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:10 pm

This is a picture from last week: from left to right: Fuggles, Annabel, East Kent Golding
Next week will be harvesting time!

gert

Model: 200 litres

Unread postby Eldoreth » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:46 am

Any good topics for a beginner. A small explanation of what is needed and the dos or donts + info on when to plant, when to harvest and post-harvest treatment before usage in the kettle would be nice. Any ideas on existing materials? Cheers
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Unread postby perdido » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 am

It gets quite cold in the Hallertau in wintertime. The rizhomes will handle -15C -20C no problem.

My first year hop plant has no cones yet. I don't have the best growing area... just a pot in the balcony.
I have located some wild hop plants 1 hour from my place and will be harvesting next weekend. The cones are big and ripe and have no ideaof what variety it may be. They do smell nice. I will use them ti dry hop the ipa I brewed today. :)
perdido

Unread postby McMullan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:36 pm

perdido wrote:It gets quite cold in the Hallertau in wintertime. The rizhomes will handle -15C -20C no problem.

My first year hop plant has no cones yet. I don't have the best growing area... just a pot in the balcony.
I have located some wild hop plants 1 hour from my place and will be harvesting next weekend. The cones are big and ripe and have no ideaof what variety it may be. They do smell nice. I will use them ti dry hop the ipa I brewed today. :)

Cheers, perdido. I just got off Wikipedia, reading up on hop plants. Didn't realise they die back each year when it gets cold and sprout again in the spring. Some of them look as tall as triffids! I've got to give it a go. Difficult to get hop cones in Norway. I usually have to get them from UK. Will you guesstimate the AA% after the first use?
McMullan

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:04 pm

there are lots of wild hops growing here, the hedge in front of my house is full of them, but they smell like diesel. i keep chickening out of using them. maybe this year i'll make a few liters of something nasty....
dinnerstick

Unread postby perdido » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:16 pm

Wild hops are not too common in Spain so I always get excited whenI find a plant. There is some commercial hop yards in Northern Spain, mainly nugget and some Columbus.

I'm not planning on using them for bittering, just for dry hopping. No much need to know AA.
perdido

Next

Return to The Pub