Present your BM brau!

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Re: Present your BM brau!

Unread postby Dicko » Fri May 30, 2014 10:48 am

Batz wrote:
Dicko wrote:
Batz wrote:My latest Saison, very nice with taste the of cloves, pepper and a hit of ginger.
Really enjoying this one. :drink:

saison 002.JPG

That one looks great mate....I have really got to get around to brewing a Saison. :beer:

You do it mate, next time I'll leave out the spices. The first one I brewed was the best, it's all about the yeast not spices.

Batz

Doing a Belgian Pale Ale tomorrow based on the recipe from The Drunk Arab from many years ago with the Wyeast 1762 yeast, but I will talk to you when I am a bit closer to doing the Saison. I would like to start this style without the spices as you say if for nothing but to get the feel for the style. :D
Last edited by Dicko on Sat May 31, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Batz » Sat May 31, 2014 8:30 am

Doing a Belgian Pale Ale tomorrow based on the recipe from The Drunk Arab from many years ago with the Wyeast 1725 yeast, but I will talk to you when I am a bit closer to doing the Saison. I would like to start this style without the spices as you say if for nothing but to get the feel for the style.

No worries mate, happy to pass on my recipe if you like. If you read 'Farm House Ales' then saisons really don't have spices, it's a new thing and I don't believe it suits the style. Sure what I'm drinking ATM is nice but it's not a saison IMO.
Hope the Belgian went well, I want to do one soon but will need a heat pad this time of the year.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sat May 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Just edited my post above to correct the wyeast number. It is 1762 not 1725 as I had stated.

I have the Farmhouse Ales book and that is what has encouraged me to want to brew a Saison.
I may take you up on your offer of a recipe or at least on some hints when I get closer to doing one.

The Belgian wort tastes magnificent and is now in the fermenting fridge at 21 deg.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 am

So you must be using heating there?
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:06 pm

No Mate, no heating at the moment. the fermentation is very violent and has climbed out of the fermenter all day on Sunday and I have collected a lot of yeast from this ferment. :lol:

I have left the fermenting fridge set at 21 while I am away this week so I hope it will ferment out OK.
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:55 am

A saison with some moules marinières (Belgian-style mussels).

Match made in heaven. :beer:

Saison + Mussels.jpg

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Wonderfull head there :beerbang:

This is the one you got with your recent hop siever?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:06 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:Wonderfull head there :beerbang:

This is the one you got with your recent hop siever?

Thank you :cheers:

Ye - have been using the metal mesh hop filter for the past 3-4 brews.

Very nice piece of equipment. Also love Chad's dry hoppers: http://arborfab.com/product/keg-style-dry-hopper/

Used them in both the secondary fermenter and in a keg - awesome :beer:

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:25 am

that look so good...

and with the mussels

i just woke up and now i want seafood
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 am

dinnerstick wrote:that look so good...

and with the mussels

i just woke up and now i want seafood

It was a lovely dinner indeed - felt like I was in a cafe in the middle of Grand Place :drink:

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:16 am

Here is the result of my first overnight mash in the BM. It's a 100% brettanomyces session pale ale called AmMo Pale, 4% abv, ~30 ibu, lots of AMarillo and MOsaic (get it?) late and dry hop. this is one drinkable damn beer. fruity, summery, really deserves the imperial pint glass. Sitting on my roof terrace after a pretty sharp bike ride; perfect!
DSC_0537.jpg
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:53 am

dinnerstick wrote:Here is the result of my first overnight mash in the BM. It's a 100% brettanomyces session pale ale called AmMo Pale, 4% abv, ~30 ibu, lots of AMarillo and MOsaic (get it?) late and dry hop. this is one drinkable damn beer. fruity, summery, really deserves the imperial pint glass. Sitting on my roof terrace after a pretty sharp bike ride; perfect!
DSC_0537.jpg

That's one pretty beer! :beer:

Which brett strain did you use and how long did it take to ferment?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:45 am

i use the white labs B. brux. Trois strain. i use it on an IPA that is a regular, maybe my most popular beer, and am now experimenting with using it for a really small, interesting summer ale. so far so good. throw out everything you think about brett when you use this strain as a primary fermenter, except the maxim that brett will eat everything, so load your beer with sticky, glucan rich, protein rich stuff like oats and wheat. this strain takes fruity hops and makes them sing together in a choir. don't ask me how. no bretty funk when you use it like this, at least not in the 2 months i have kept one of these around. i don't do cell counts so i pitch a yeast volume that is similar to a normal sacc pitch. that's really vague and can differ by x orders of magnitude, but it's been working so far through ~10 brews. fermentation of a small beer like this one (<1.040) is very quick, seems to be mostly done in 2 days (but i don't check the gravity for a couple weeks) the bigger IPA that starts near 1.070 is a bit slower, so i also give it ~two weeks before the dry hopping begins. they are slow to clear so i'm in no hurry, a bit of haze is fine especially with all the protein but they taste a bit muddy until they have had a week in the fridge to drop. also, i ferment these around 24 degrees, by moving them around the house old school homebrewer style, i don't use ferm control on them. perhaps not a great idea in the tropics, but up here by the northern lights it's been working great.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 am

I got a vial of Brett Trois sitting in my fridge - will be using it soon as well. BYO had a very nice article in the latest issue exactly on this very topic - Brett Trois IPAs. I further understand that unlike other Brett strains, this bugger finishes the fermentation completely in two-three weeks flat. That's a very appealing feature, as not many of us have patience to wait months and months for other type of Brett strains to work. I deal with haze with agar-agar, a kind of seaweed version of gelatin, so I don't worry about how powdery the yeast strain is, as long as it tastes good. :drink:

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 am

i also use the wlp brett brux strain for primary fermentation, it makes a mean farmhouse style ale, and is also done in reasonable time. in my limited experience adding it for long maturation periods, this indeed takes a long time, but the results can be quite amazing, but the behavior is very different when used in that way. don't ask me why. i mean, don't ask me why after it behaves like a normal yeast in primary it doesn't then switch to behaving like brett and go funky.
i keep three brett strains in my library actually, trois, brux, and wlp b. lambicus, i like to mix them in my farmhouse ale.
i also used trois for a stout recently. the results are.... .... ... well it's great for IPAs
dinnerstick

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub