What's on your bookshelf?

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

What's on your bookshelf?

Unread postby niels » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Inspired by the topic "Good Brewing Book" I wanted to start a thread about what's on your bookshelf.

My bookshelf is filled with pretty common brewing books. Not too advanced either...
  • How to Brew by John Palmer
  • Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer
  • For The Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops by Stan Hieronymus
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation by Jamil Zainasheff and Chris White
  • Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them by Stan Hieronymus
  • Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition by Phil Markowski
  • Wild Brews: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition by Jeff Sparrow
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles by Ray Daniels
  • Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher
On my wishlist I have the following books:
  • The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian
  • Bock by Darryl Richman
  • German Wheat Beer by Eric Warner
  • Brewing with Wheat: The 'Wit' & 'Weize​n' of World Wheat Beer Styles by Stan Hieronymus
  • Some more from the Classic Beer Style series.
Most of the books I really liked. The only one I didn't fully read are "Water" and "Wild Brews". "Designing Great Beer" and "Brewing Classic Styles" are books that I pick up, read a chapter about a style and put down again. I can't read them as a whole (and I don't think they are written with that intention).
Since I lack a background in chemistry (and the fact that I'm not a native English speaker) the "Water" book is a very though read. I think I will try to get some better knowledge about chemistry before I start reading this book again.
"Wild Brews" only arrived last week, so I will start reading it over the next few days.

Regarding my wishlist: I'm waiting for the fourth (revised) edition of Charlie Papazian's classic. "Brewing with Wheat" might get removed as it doesn't get very good reviews. The "Classic Beer Style" series is almost a complete must-have, but some of the books (I think "Stout") aren't well received. Therefor I first want "Bock" and "German Wheat Beer" on the shelf (as I intend to brew some of these styles pretty soon).

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: What's on your bookshelf?

Unread postby bjolu340 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm

I think you should add Randy Moshers Radical Brewing on your wishlist. It is not the most educational book but it really gets your brewing spirits up!
bjolu340

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 pm

bjolu340 wrote:I think you should add Randy Moshers Radical Brewing on your wishlist. It is not the most educational book but it really gets your brewing spirits up!

Indeed, you're right! I actually have it. Totally forgot about it while compiling the list.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:51 pm

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian (2002) was my 1st.

Since that one I bought nothing until last year. Now I have the following;
Brewing Classic Styles - Great reference for recipe development.
Designing Great Beers - Same as above but a little dated. Many new hop and malt varieties released since this was published.
For The Love of Hops - Had trouble getting into it. Don't think it flowed well, and it focused more on industry than homebrewing.
Water - similar to Niels - a little too technical for me.
Brew Like a Monk - good read. I based a R10 clone on info from this one (still maturing but showing early signs of tasting okay).
IPA - Just started reading - interesting so far and easy to read.

In the bookshelf but yet to read:
Wild Brews
Porter
Belgian Ale

Read but don't own;
Yeast - beside some technical sections, quite easy to read and a book I would go back to over and over so will buy one day.
Pilsner - brief but informative.
Dan

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 am

In addition to all the great books that have already been mentioned, there are a couple of more books that I would highly recommend:

- Brew Like a Pro by Dave Miller
- Brew Better Beer by Gordon Strong
- New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan

The last book is a bit of a misnomer - it's actually general brewing book and it's not overly focused on lagers.

There is some terrific advice on how to understand malt analysis sheets - probably the best that I have seen anywhere.

I also really look forward to American Sour Beer book that will be coming out in July.

I follow the author's brewing on his blog: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:53 am

niels wrote:Inspired by the topic "Good Brewing Book" I wanted to start a thread about what's on your bookshelf.

My bookshelf is filled with pretty common brewing books. Not too advanced either...
  • How to Brew by John Palmer
  • Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer
  • For The Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops by Stan Hieronymus
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation by Jamil Zainasheff and Chris White
  • Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them by Stan Hieronymus
  • Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition by Phil Markowski
  • Wild Brews: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition by Jeff Sparrow
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles by Ray Daniels
  • Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher

Amazingly I have the same books in my library as well! Each of that list has many great reasons to recommend it to brewers. Some more advanced than others, of course.

Add to that list, also in my library:
Ultimate Beer by Michael Jackson - not so much a home brewers book, but a coffee table book on describing beers, beer pairings and cooking with beer. Pretty pics!
The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm - basic guide for the beginning to intermediate mead maker
The Everything Hard Cider Book by Drew Beechum - introduction to cider, probably good for intermediates as well
Beer is Proof that God Loves Us by Charlie Bamforth - biography and a little philosophy from this UC Davis brewing science professor
The History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage - a history of how six beverages (beer and wine among them) shaped the history of the world. A great read. Highly recommended.

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:29 am

I have been adding books slowly over the years.

This is my library so far;
1001 Beers you must try before you die-Tierney-Jones (bought for me by my daughter)
Homebrewing for Dummies- Nachel (Gift from a good friend)
How to Brew- Palmer
Designing Great Beers- Daniels
New Brewing Lager Beer- Noonan
Beer Captured- Szamatulski
Brewing Classic Styles- Zainasheff and Palmer
Mild Ale- Sutala
Yeast- White and Zainasheff
Brewing British Style Beers- Line
Vienna, Marzen, Octoberfest- Fix and Fix
Bock- Richman
Altbeer- Dornbusch
Kolsch- Warner
IPA- Steele
Pale Ale- Foster
Bavarian Helles- Dornbusch
Continental Pilsener- (out on loan)
For the Love of Hops- Hieronymus (borrowed from a friend)

My next purchases are
Farmhouse Ales and Brew like a Monk

Must build a special shelf for them one day :D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:17 am

I'm just starting out at this but so far..................

How to Brew by John Palmer
Brew Your Own British Real Ale by Graham Wheeler - I like this as it is simply written and easy to understand.

And in the post

Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer

And just ordered

Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles by Ray Daniels
Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink by Randy Mosher

I do most of my reading on the net though and also find YouTube to be a great resource.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 am

cpa4ny wrote:In addition to all the great books that have already been mentioned, there are a couple of more books that I would highly recommend:......
- Brew Better Beer by Gordon Strong.......

I follow the author's brewing on his blog: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/

I forgot to mention Gordon Strong's - Brewing Better Beer - another local is borrowing it. I bought this before I started AG brewing and, though it's aimed at intermediate brewers, I found plenty of inspiration in his text. Not well structured, but he mentions this in the intro. I'll be re-reading this one day soon.

Also found some very interesting info on the above blog. I'm about to try brewing a few sours - they're so bloody expensive here, but soooo tasty :beerbang:
Dan

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 am

Sours go down really well in our respective climates - super refreshing.

Haven't brewed one yet, but they are certainly on my to-brew list.

Unread postby piet_v » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 am

My latest buy

The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer: Rediscovered Recipes for Classic Brews Dating from 1800 to 1965 by Pattinson

Very interesting & stuffed with old recipes.
piet_v

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm

I've got quite a few of the one's mentioned on this thread, one I find interesting is the Oxford Companion to Beer by Garrett Oliver

:drink:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Dan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 pm

piet_v wrote:My latest buy

The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer: Rediscovered Recipes for Classic Brews Dating from 1800 to 1965 by Pattinson

Very interesting & stuffed with old recipes.

Sounds like that would be a great companion to Brewing classic styles.
There was also a link to the "Malt" book on that page. Had me excited for a little while until I found "pre-order for September 7"
Dan

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:14 pm

To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 pm

I didn't know wether to say this in this topic or in this one

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=141

So, I bought Brew Like a Monk

http://www.bookdepository.com/Brew-Like ... 0937381878

the other day and I need to say that once I started reading it I just could not put it down.
It is certainly a well researched and well presented publication and it is a book that holds your interest from the "get go".
It is not over technical and it is a very "easy read"

Highly recommended particularly if anyone wishes to know about or brew Belgian beers.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Next

Return to The Pub