If you're not drinking your own beer...

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

If you're not drinking your own beer...

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 am

With homemade beer usually on tap I find myself buying bottles less frequently than in the past, but due to extenuating circumstances I wasn't able to brew between november and march, therefore i haven't had much of my own stuff to drink for a while. well, the last kegs finished at the end of december... Anyways, that, combined with the recently-ballooning craft beer trend in the netherlands, I've been buying a lot of bottles lately, but i have to say most of the regulars in my fridge originate from over our southern border. So i ask you- what are your regular drinkers? or what's a great beer you tried recently and want to shout out??
My regulars are: cantillon gueuze, cantillon kriek, oud beersel, girardin and others. i always have a few of these beauties at the back of the fridge. rodenbach grand cru and duchesse de bourgogne (GF loves that one, bit too sweet for me) are usually in stock. chimay blue, westmalle triple, rochefort 8 or 10, de koninck as an easy drinker, all of these are readily available in the local supermarkets and quite cheap. (the case of westvleteren in my cellar is for special occasions). gulpener pils is my 'normal' house beer for non-interesting-beer guests. maximus is my local brewery, their 'pandora' is a great hoppy session-ish beer. (I'll be brewing there for a collaboration hopefully next month...!). I try lots of smaller NL beers but I can't say that any other is a regular in my fridge! occasionally emelise barrel aged imperial stouts (fantastic, try them if you can).
some beers that i tried recently for the first time and really enjoyed are: meantime chocolate porter, fantome regular saison, oedipus (who will be known to most of the randstad homebrew scene) 'panty' stout, awful name great beer, vicarus gueuze/triple blend, brewdog paradox isle of arran barrel aged (15%) stout... wow!
bye!
Last edited by dinnerstick on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

RE: If you're not drinking your own beer...

Unread postby Elderberry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm

I have an English friend who takes his car to England often and brings me back a variety of English beers. Some excellent, some less so. The beer I buy in the largest quantity is Taras Boulba from Brasserie de la Senne. I'm also a big fan of Saisons, especially Saison Voisin when I can find it.
Elderberry

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:05 am

Nice imported beers are really overpriced here.

A pint of industrial lager swill @ local pubs @ peak hour would probably set you back ~USD 10.

If you want to get something more sexy like a Chimay or a Westmalle - that can easily go up to around USD 12-15 for a 0.33L (don't forget tax & service charge on top of that!)

SWMBO & I happen to be avid cooks, so we typically eat home-cooked food & drink homebrew @ our home-sweet-home :drink:

I brew religiously every two weeks, so I typically do not run out of tasty beverages (as prescribed by Rule #1 of homebrewing). ;) :beer:
Last edited by cpa4ny on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:20 am

cpa4ny wrote:SWMBO & I happen to be avid cooks, so we typically eat home-cooked food & drink homebrew @ our home-sweet-home

nice! me too!
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:20 pm

I remember that sous-vide post of yours :cheers:

That's something I really want to try one of these days.

Based on your post - I wonder if Speidel will start selling mini-BMs specifically targeted at the SV market.

They gotta pay you some commission! :P

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:09 pm

they should pay niels a commission! he's basically selling their machines for them! but yeah the BM20 is a good industrial scale sous vide bath, i did 13 large duck breasts in mine for a big christmas dinner a few years ago, as well as the 'usual' 4 racks of ribs... with the 50L and a big bbq you could really feed a big pack of hungry drunks
dinnerstick

Return to The Pub