Speidel Kellermeister (CCT/Fermentor)

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Speidel Kellermeister (CCT/Fermentor)

Unread postby niels » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Does anyone have a Speidel Kellermeister? These plastic CCTs look very promising:
  • The lid covers the whole CCT which makes it very easy to clean
  • The lid acts as an airlock which reduces the total heightness
  • It should be able to fit a "normal" fridge for temperature controlled fermentation: 65L = Ø 46 cm x H 106,5 cm

Maybe the outlets are not the best, but might be upgradeable.

Niels
Last edited by niels on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: Speidel Kellermeister (CCT/Fermentor)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:12 pm

i have been thinking about one for a while, holding the same reservations about the very cheap looking valves, but when brouwland and friends started carrying blichmann ss conicals the price for the plastic ones started to seem a bit too high. if anyone has/gets one please report back!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

RE: Speidel Kellermeister (CCT/Fermentor)

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm

I have one that I got with the 50L BM.
Its tall and you do need to make sure where you place it after you fill it with wort and yeast because your not going to move it that freely!
Sitting on the stand the bottom spigot is still quite low to the floor to remove your trub/yeast bed for secondary fermenting which is a pain.
I think I need a trolley or something to fix this.
The valves are on the cheap side but dont leak and they clean up well, so...
But Ive only had one brew so far and it has left a staining after draining which proved difficult to remove and Im sure over time this will age poorly.
Over time I think plastic however good the food grade of the plastic material is, still introduces a 'homebrew' taste to your brew no matter what.
Glass on the other hand introduces no such taste, based on my experience and feedback from others .
Stainless steel I'm sure is the same as glass in terms of having no involvment in the overall taste of the brew.
I was limited with my budget and would have got a S/S conical fermentor if I could
Last edited by ChilliMayne on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brewing: Not much glamour but plenty of Glory!
ChilliMayne

Re: Speidel Kellermeister (CCT/Fermentor)

Unread postby Erik T » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:11 pm

30173_1_0.jpg
Lifting table
I have two 30L and two 65L, they work great. The only issu I have had one tim is that the bottom tap did not let sediment pass thru when I open the tap to drain, on the 65L. I now drain it more frequent so it don´t get so packed at the bottom. And I Place it on a lifting table first with a crank, so I can elevate it to the right height for the moment.
Erik T

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Erik T wrote:
30173_1_0.jpg
I have two 30L and two 65L, they work great. The only issu I have had one tim is that the bottom tap did not let sediment pass thru when I open the tap to drain, on the 65L. I now drain it more frequent so it don´t get so packed at the bottom. And I Place it on a lifting table first with a crank, so I can elevate it to the right height for the moment.

I love that lifting table idea - put one on my Amazon wish list for my barrel program!

Unread postby niels » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Erik T wrote:I have two 30L and two 65L, they work great. The only issu I have had one tim is that the bottom tap did not let sediment pass thru when I open the tap to drain, on the 65L. I now drain it more frequent so it don´t get so packed at the bottom. And I Place it on a lifting table first with a crank, so I can elevate it to the right height for the moment.

Do you use the standard plastic spigots or did you replace them with "proper" ones?
Am I right to assume that the threading for the spigots is metal (stainless steel, brass, ...)?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby ErikT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 am

I use the original plastic spigots.
Every day is a day to cherish.
ErikT

Unread postby ErikT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:40 pm

I have two of these and I use one for the 50L Braumeister, and one for the Kellermeister.
Every day is a day to cherish.
ErikT

Unread postby Rhodesy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:41 pm

I have the 30L one, I have stuck with the original taps, the bottom one is quite low and can be a pain when trying to drain for some harvesting. I don't use the thermometer but instead put my STC1000 probe in the thermowell insulating it inside with some foam to ensure the reading is more accurate the vessel temperature.

I find it easy enough to clean and am happy with it, I use a larder fridge for temp control and it fits fine but does mean I cannot use another FV at the same time so sometimes if I have 2 on the go at the same time it gets sacrificed.
Rhodesy

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby LMoerkens » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:56 am

From what I am seeing on the pictures, this is very close to the 15 gallon fermentor I have in the US for many years. I have been fermenting in this for at least10 years for my larger batches without any problems. The webpage is: http://minibrew.com .
The difference seems to be the brass/SS valves and the height. For a price of $429 seems like a pretty good deal :)
And no I don't have any connection to the supplier, bought one about 10 years ago and am happy with it :cheers:
LMoerkens

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:57 pm

I think the sweetest in the link, is the unit with SS legs. $229 Bargain.
mashy

Unread postby Omphteliba » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:24 pm

If i could fit something this high into my fridge, i 'd have a ssbrewtech 7Gal fermentor.
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Cap'n Greybeard » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:11 am

LMoerkens wrote:From what I am seeing on the pictures, this is very close to the 15 gallon fermentor I have in the US for many years. I have been fermenting in this for at least10 years for my larger batches without any problems. The webpage is: http://minibrew.com .
The difference seems to be the brass/SS valves and the height. For a price of $429 seems like a pretty good deal :)
And no I don't have any connection to the supplier, bought one about 10 years ago and am happy with it :cheers:

I must concur. I've had a Mini Brew for close to 10 years and have run countless brews thru it. It has performed flawlessly, cleans up easily, allows me to do a sanitary yeast harvest and lets me do a secondary without having to siphon or rack to a different container. The only thing I can't do is ferment lagers since it is too big for the beer fridge. I've got mine permanently mounted on a piece of ⅝" plywood with 3" locking caster wheels and can roll it from my brew cave to the outdoor brew site to pump from the BM directly into the Mini Brew, and then roll it into the laundry area for kegging and cleanup. Absolutely love it! And at a fraction of the cost of a SS conical.

Cappy
Cleared for Final Approach
Cap'n Greybeard

Return to Other Speidel Products