Speidel Braumeister Hop Sieve 20/50L

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Speidel Braumeister Hop Sieve 20/50L

Unread postby Jacques » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Dear all,

Is there any body using the Spiedel Braumeister Hop Sieve 20/50L ?
Until now, I always used a nylon bag for the hop cones, since according to the BM200 manual, hop cones will not get in the whirlpool. However, I would like to try to put the hop cones loose in the braumeister kettle directly. So, I wonder if the Spiedel hop sieve will really avoid hop cone bits to get in the fermenter or if I should better keep up with the nylon bag.

Thanks in advance for your feed backs.
c
Cheers,
Jacques.
Jacques

Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Braumeister Hop Sieve 20/50L

Unread postby royco » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi Jacques, I have the 50L with hop sieve and am not convinced. Definitely helps with cleanup as most of the mess is contained in the sieve, but is that a huge concern?
The sieve is very expensive for a piece of mesh tacked onto a pipe and two rings and I am thinking of not using it, or going back to a bag, which you can leave in during whirlpool.

Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Jacques » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Thank you very much Royco.
I also think it is a bit expensive for what it is, especially if it is not straining all the hop cone bits. Then, I will go on with the bag.
Thanks again !
Cheers :cheers:
Jacques.
Jacques

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:02 pm

fellow hop bag users... there has to be a better way.... we should get hop spiders/strainers i think...
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:53 am

dinnerstick wrote:fellow hop bag users... there has to be a better way.... we should get hop spiders/strainers i think...

Yes! I will ask Speidel if they have any plans in that direction.

For US users there is a supplier that sells custom made hop spiders, but shipping and taxes make it an expensive add-on for most EU residents.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Jacques » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Niels,

Yes that would be great. I just found a hop spider/filter on Amazon/Youtube:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_rb9n81SE

It is 70$, it would be good if Speidel could make something equivalent, or even better, that would efficiently: one for the BM20 and one for the BM50. This could increase the extraction of the oil from the hop cones, they will be less squeezed than in a bag.

Cheers,
Jacques.
Jacques

Unread postby Jacques » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:27 pm

See those especially for BM:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL- ... 1473304264

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... 45&t=67723

They look good, but as Niels said they are available in North America and are a big pricey in total (cost+freight)...
Jacques

Unread postby Jacques » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:06 am

Just to keep this topic updated, here is the answer from Speidel. This is part of the topic on the new BM controller in the announcement section.

Q: I've not heard much positive feedback about the hop sieve that Speidel introduced earlier this year. A few forum members have ordered a custom made hop spider and are very happy with it. One version is slided down the center rod while another version hangs from the side of the vessel. Both are made of fine stainless steel mesh. You can see one model in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_rb9n81SE and the other on this photo: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... P/$_57.JPG Maybe it might be an inspiration for a Speidel version of a hop spider
A: "I guess some people have not realized that our hop filter is only recommended if you are brewing with umbels. Not designed for pellets. And then it works perfect.
The solution on the link is nice and I have seen them before. Some people complain that they have not a rolling boil in the Filter.
We still think it's better using the filter after the boil, and no solution in form of a bag. But I will not say that the last word is spoken about this matter. We keep it in eye."

Royco, would you be using your sieve with cones or pellets ?
Jacques

Unread postby richard54 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Just throw in my experience.... I bought the Speidel strainer for my 20L and used it once and found i had quite a bit of rubbish in FV. So i reverted to a bag. But it was on one of my early brews and since then i have found the best way to get really clear wort is [a] using 1/2 whirlfloc tablet 8 minutes before end of boil, [b] letting the wort stand for 20 minutes or so after cooling to around 20C, [c] pulling the hop bag clear of the liquid and allowing to to drain as i cool the wort, [d] allowing some trub in the FV (its dosnt matter). I finish up with about 2 litres of trub, which i cool in the fridge. That gives me just under 1L to freeze as a starter for next brew and just over 1L to throw away. What i dont bother with is whirlpooling becuase its not needed and i am wasting so little wort. But as i say i used the strainer in an early brew before i had sorted all this out. What i may do is try the strainer again and see how it goes as intuitively not using a bag seems the best way to get hop flavour etc into the beer...
richard54

Unread postby niels » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:50 pm

@richard54: Do you use hop pellets or flowers?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Jacques wrote:Just to keep this topic updated, here is the answer from Speidel. This is part of the topic on the new BM controller in the announcement section.

Q: I've not heard much positive feedback about the hop sieve that Speidel introduced earlier this year. A few forum members have ordered a custom made hop spider and are very happy with it. One version is slided down the center rod while another version hangs from the side of the vessel. Both are made of fine stainless steel mesh. You can see one model in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_rb9n81SE and the other on this photo: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... P/$_57.JPG Maybe it might be an inspiration for a Speidel version of a hop spider
A: "I guess some people have not realized that our hop filter is only recommended if you are brewing with umbels. Not designed for pellets. And then it works perfect.
The solution on the link is nice and I have seen them before. Some people complain that they have not a rolling boil in the Filter.
We still think it's better using the filter after the boil, and no solution in form of a bag. But I will not say that the last word is spoken about this matter. We keep it in eye."

Royco, would you be using your sieve with cones or pellets ?

Jacques, I use pellets
royco

Unread postby JPSussex » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:17 pm

The hop filter as per the attached link is available in the UK, I always use whole hops and it works a treat.

http://www.vigoltd.com/Catalogue/Braume ... ster-93078
JPSussex

Unread postby Erick » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:29 pm

I do also use the hop sieve with my BM20.
I only use cones and it works perfect.
I also don't mind a little trub because I will get rid of that when transferring to the bottle vessel.

All things considered: It is expensive but is does what is says (don't use pellets!)
Erick

Unread postby royco » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:53 am

Now you tell me! I only use pellets and it seems to work fine, although some hop debris can get through the mesh. Nearly all the main "gunk" gets held back.
royco

Unread postby paulg » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:09 am

just for clarity royco are you using the speidel product or something like that pictured by jacques as you
quote by royco » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi Jacques, I have the 50L with hop sieve and am not convinced. Definitely helps with cleanup as most of the mess is contained in the sieve, but is that a huge concern?
The sieve is very expensive for a piece of mesh tacked onto a pipe and two rings

this sounds more like the video type as the speidel one is like a paddle shaped item,I have both sorts and agree the speidel one works well for hop cones ,my concern also with the tube type is that the wort inside the tube doesnt seem to bee boiling ,so how is the hop extraction, although I havent noticed any lack of bitterness in my recipes,which are not hop bombs anyway
paulg

Next

Return to Other Speidel Products