Stainless steel immersion chiller

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Re: Stainless steel immersion chiller

Unread postby malzrohr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Another interesting and very affordable option are beer pump chillers. Like dual coil spirals found here.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby McMullan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Copper is an essential trace element for most living things, including yeast (and drinkers). And I'm sure my yeast nutrient contains copper. But, at typical wort pHs, which can be corrosive to copper, I'd be concerned they get more than actually required. That can be dangerous, in a chronic sense. Sorry, SS is not just easier to clean. It's more stable and less toxic. There's an interesting experiment: which yeast (and drinkers) remain viable longer; those in worts exposed to copper or SS? Scary, this science stuff.
McMullan

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:30 am

McMullan wrote:Copper is an essential trace element for most living things, including yeast (and drinkers). And I'm sure my yeast nutrient contains copper. But, at typical wort pHs, which can be corrosive to copper, I'd be concerned they get more than actually required. That can be dangerous, in a chronic sense. Sorry, SS is not just easier to clean. It's more stable and less toxic. There's an interesting experiment: which yeast (and drinkers) remain viable longer; those in worts exposed to copper or SS? Scary, this science stuff.

Calling copper toxic in this particular context is absurd and pure FUD. I am guessing you have no idea what happens to copper - how it becomes foodsafe nor you have any idea what makes stainless steel shiny stainless :)
PS! "Science stuff" is not scary. Stupid rumours and guesses, presented as facts, are.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:25 am

bruulog wrote:Calling copper toxic in this particular context is absurd and pure FUD. I am guessing you have no idea what happens to copper - how it becomes foodsafe nor you have any idea what makes stainless steel shiny stainless :)
PS! "Science stuff" is not scary. Stupid rumours and guesses, presented as facts, are.

I made my decision to go with SS based on an article by John Palmer:

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1144 ... omebrewers.

And, as a biologist, I do wonder about chronic (long-term) exposure risks. Copper, above trace levels, in the blood can promote the formation of chemically reactive molecules that damage DNA. I don't mean to sound alarmist. Wort chillers are not the only source of 'free copper'. Of course copper is 'safe'. But I considered it and decided, in the long run, it wasn't for me.

Why can't you make SS chillers too?
McMullan

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:28 pm

McMullan wrote:...

Sure I can. No problem at all. :beer:
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby maxx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 pm

I am deciding which immersion chiller to buy with my BM20. The original Speidel ones look like it has much less tubing compared to alternative stainless steel wort chiller. Meaning it has much less cooling surface compared to the other one. Can some confirm that the picture on Speidel site is correct one?

Speidel 20L ss wort chiller;

Alternative RVS ss wort chiller;

maxx

Unread postby mashy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:14 am

bruulog wrote:
McMullan wrote:...

Sure I can. No problem at all. :beer:

SS is tougher to bend. Copper bends much easier.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:16 am

maxx wrote:I am deciding which immersion chiller to buy with my BM20. The original Speidel ones look like it has much less tubing compared to alternative stainless steel wort chiller. Meaning it has much less cooling surface compared to the other one. Can some confirm that the picture on Speidel site is correct one?

This is a surface area thing. Go for the one with the most coils. Mine is a double coil (coil within a coil) , and even that is not as efficient as 4 ice packs.
mashy

Unread postby maxx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 am

Indeed, that is my plan to get the one with most cooling area, but I would like some confirmation that Speidel chiller is really loking like the one on the picture. If you go to Speidel store site all three (10L, 20L, 50L) chillers have the same picture, thus I am not sure how does 20L version looks like.

http://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/ ... es/Brewing
maxx

Unread postby Aleman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:07 pm

My Speidel chiller for the 20L doesn't look like your first picture but more like the second one.
Aleman

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby maxx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Thank you Aleman. Would you mind taking a picture of your wort chiller. Of course when you will have time.
maxx

Unread postby DaBear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm

If it helps this is the BM 10L chiller
DaBear

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby RichM » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:12 pm

i've got both a stainless and copper wort chiller, the copper one i had for a previous boiling bucket i used to use pre BM and the stainless for my BM - irrespective of the safe / unsafe arguments i'm for stainless purely from the cleaning down perspective, the copper always seemed to tarnish and the trub in the boiler would stick to it, this mean't a good scrub after use and ordinarily i'd clean it again before re use, the stainless on the other hand comes out pretty clean and just takes a squirt of the hose to wash the wort of.
I've personally not really noticed any real difference in time to chill, i use the time it takes to clean down other stuff and get things sorted anyway, so its not wasted or dead time for me.
RichM

Unread postby kcmcalistair » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:29 pm

+1 RichM ... agree

I use the speidel chiller few times. With my setup the temperature is down in less than 15min.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
my setup
BM 20L 2015
50.0678, 8.1552

English Ale in Fridge
Brewdog Zeitgeist in Fermentor
kcmcalistair

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby RichM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:45 am

MChaps
For awareness - I brewed last Saturday and my Speidel wort chiller catastrophically failed during the chill phase

The clip holding the outlet pipe to the chilled shot of under full water pressure and jet of water sprayed the entire brewery.

RCA post clean up has identified a very lose clip and combined with a kink in the outlet hose to the drain caused sufficient back pressure to force the hose lock connector on the outlet pipe off and the inlet pipe exploded under pressure off the stainless steel cooler in let pipe

I've changed the plastic hose lock connectors to expensive metal connectors now and will change the smaller pipe connectors to stainless jubilee clips - I've also sourced a new length of waste hose pipe that doesn't have any kinks in it thus not back pressure

No real damage done, just a wet brewery and a bit of a clean up after
RichM

Previous

Return to Other Speidel Products