Stainless steel immersion chiller

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Stainless steel immersion chiller

Unread postby niels » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Does anyone have the Speidel wort chiller for the 50L Braumeister? If so, would you mind taking some photos and post them here?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: Stainless steel immersion chiller

Unread postby royco » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:59 am

BM 50 SS chiller, with garden hose quick connects.

IC.jpg
royco

Unread postby niels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:22 am

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm considering buying one, but I have some copper tubing laying around which could be formed into a chiller too...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:53 am

I am not sure what they cost as I bought my 50L second hand and it came with the chiller. I made my previous one out of 15m copper tube rolled around a 20L paint tin and it was so easy if you know how to solder copper fittings (two elbows). Actually the BM one does not have elbows. You just have to be careful bending copper tube. It likes to kink!
royco

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:02 am

+1 for DIY Copper one
Making a DIY copper chiller takes about 30 minutes, and copper has much higher (about 20x) Thermal Conductivity (Heat Transfer Coefficient) which means faster cooling.

Of course SS chiller looks nicer and is easier to clean + no copper oxide in the beer (but majority of studies consider it as yeast nutrient, unless in high doses when causes oxidative stress, disables the flow of carbon through the preferred glycolytic pathway and promotes the production of glucose-equivalents within the pentose phosphate pathway of the yeast :lol: )

Of course, I'm striking out the cost concerns as they mean nothing to us, spending fortunes on BMs 8)
fy0d0r

Unread postby royco » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:00 am

fy0d0r wrote:Of course SS chiller looks nicer and is easier to clean + no copper oxide in the beer (but majority of studies consider it as yeast nutrient, unless in high doses when causes oxidative stress, disables the flow of carbon through the preferred glycolytic pathway and promotes the production of glucose-equivalents within the pentose phosphate pathway of the yeast :lol: )

I hate it when that happens :lol:
royco

Unread postby niels » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am

I just came across an alternative to the Speidel IC. It is a stainless steel chiller with the following specifications:
- Diameter: 20 cm
- Height of coil: 23 cm
- Total height: 60 cm
- Totals about 16 meters of tubing and has quick connects for a garden hose. It also has SS spacers for the coil which should make it a bit more sturdy.

Regarding price this one comes out cheaper than the Speidel version: 136.50 EUR vs 179.50 EUR.

wortkoeler-rvs-groot-50-liter-met-rvs-afstandshouders.jpg
Alternative immersion chiller for 50L BM
wortkoeler-rvs-groot-50-liter-met-rvs-afstandshouders.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

I do see 2 possible drawbacks:
1) The total height might not be enough to let it rest on the bottom of a 50L BM and have the connectors above the edge of the BM.
2) The horizontal part where the connectors are might not be long enough so that the connectors are over the edge of the BM (to prevent leaking cooling water in the wort).

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Niels

Some dimensions of the BM chiller:

Inner diameter : 23 cm
Outer diameter : 25cm
Height to bottom of lowest outlet (horizontal) 53 cm (when standing - collapsed. Hanging length extends to 56 ( the non extendable outlet.
Coils 16

Hope it helps
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby niels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:51 pm

I just ordered the "alternative" immersion chiller. I checked the diameter of the heating coils in the BM 50L and the inner ones have an inner diameter of about 30cm. The kettle is a tid over 55cm high. This means the chiller will fit without any problems. To improve the efficiency of the chiller I will have to hold it a bit higher as the hottest wort will be at the top.

I couldn't justify the 50 EUR difference as it looks like a decent build chiller. For 50 EUR I can buy 50kg base malt and a kilo of EU hops.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby niels » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:09 am

I just received my new immersion chiller. Quality looks good, connections are perfect (I like the garden hose type of connections) and the match with the Braumeister is ideal. I'm not 100% sure but I think it will also fit a 20L Braumeister.

Before actually having used it I could say I'm really pleased.

Some quick shots of the chiller. I didn't take pictures when test fitting it in the BM as the cellar is a bit too dark. On my next brewday I will make sure to make a picture!

2014-08-16 12.46.50.jpg
Alternative stainless steel immersion chiller

2014-08-16 12.46.58.jpg
Close-up of the spacers

:beer:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby bruulog » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:36 pm

The price of those is so absurd it's not even funny.
As mentioned before, copper is way better than stainless steel. I use 10 mm pipe.

BTW, I can make you a chiller if you like.

Copper chiller (immersion)
75 EUR for 20 l
135 EUR for 50 l *
I do not include the hose because I have no idea, how long water hose you need and what type of tap connections you have.
I think it makes more sense and keeps the cost down, if you buy your own hose from your local hardware/gardening store.

I can also make you a CFC (counterflow chiller)
Good for 20 and 50 l and probably more. Exiting wort is at 20 C (you can adjust that to meet your needs. Depends on your cold water temperature and the speed of wort passing trough the system)

165 EUR *

* - excludes postage. I'll give you a quote, if I have your address.

PM me if you like to get one.
PS! You can pay me in cryptocurrency like BTC or LTC ;)
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:52 pm

@Niels - where did you buy this from?

I have the Speidel one and it works great although the build quality on your one looks really great from the pictures.

@bruulog - Im not sure of the effiency differences betwee Stainless steelan copper (probably a few minutes in a cooling period) but I can say that the one great thing about stainless steel is that its so easy to clean compared to Copper. Sometimes a quick spray of the hose after chilling my wort is enough to clean it or a quick rub of the BM scrub brush. So overall I probably save time this way... I do give it a good proper cleaning regularly.. but its quite easy to do and overall maintenance free.
bierfest

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:03 pm

bierfest wrote:@Niels - where did you buy this from?

I have the Speidel one and it works great although the build quality on your one looks really great from the pictures.

@bruulog - Im not sure of the effiency differences betwee Stainless steelan copper (probably a few minutes in a cooling period) but I can say that the one great thing about stainless steel is that its so easy to clean compared to Copper. Sometimes a quick spray of the hose after chilling my wort is enough to clean it or a quick rub of the BM scrub brush. So overall I probably save time this way... I do give it a good proper cleaning regularly.. but its quite easy to do and overall maintenance free.

Have to fully agree with this after owning most type of chillers over the years, copper works well but I was always worried about cleaning.
It is stainless all the way for me, even if it does take a minute or two longer to chill, a quick wash and a hose off and it is ready for the next brew.

That is a great looking chiller Niels, that spacer set up looks good.
The one I have has no spacers and maybe therefor has less contact area in theory. :?:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:25 pm

bierfest wrote:@Niels - where did you buy this from?

I bought it a Brouwmarkt (in the Netherlands). At the end of the month I will try it out for the first time.

I do have a DIY copper chiller, but since it was made for a previous brewing kettle it didn't fit the BM well. I've been on the fence about copper vs SS, but I went for the convenience of cleaning.

I will however add a piece of copper tubing to the BM at boil as I believe that wort have to be in contact before going into the fermentor. ;)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby bruulog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Thermal conductivity of some common metals
Metal Thermal conductivity (Btu/(hr-ft-F)
Silver 247.87
Copper 231
Gold 183
Aluminium 136
Yellow brass 69.33
Cast iron 46.33
Stainless steel 8.1

pardon me for the medieval units of measurement ;) but it makes no difference as the ratio is the same.
This is why copper is used for this type of applications.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Next

Return to Other Speidel Products