New Pump Device

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Re: New Pump Device

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 pm

How do you wash out?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby IPA » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:15 pm

mashy wrote:How do you wash out?

Which bit the Springer or the plate chiller ?
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Sorry I forgot about the plate - no matter - it all sounds such hard work.
An immersion coil and a pump just make everything easier.
I am sub 5 hours every time, so I get started at 7 and am done for lunch.

Don't get me wrong, speed isn't everything. I just enjoy making good beer, quickly. In the early days he just used to get away, and gobble up a whole day.
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:05 pm

I like the looks of that Springer but don't think its available of here in the US. Currently I pump through a 300 micron stainless screen into the fermenter to keep any excess trub out.

Do you guys think I could use the valve on the end of the pump device to slow the flow down a bit without hurting the pump during whirlpool? When I run it wide open it seems too fast and I feel a bit slower whirlpool would help settle things better.
wobdee

Unread postby IPA » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:25 pm

wobdee wrote:I like the looks of that Springer but don't think its available of here in the US. Currently I pump through a 300 micron stainless screen into the fermenter to keep any excess trub out.

Do you guys think I could use the valve on the end of the pump device to slow the flow down a bit without hurting the pump during whirlpool? When I run it wide open it seems too fast and I feel a bit slower whirlpool would help settle things better.

As long as the valve is on the outgoing side of the pump it will work fine.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 am

What you perhaps ought to do is set up the pump bypass. Pump will still be working hard.

But perhaps the bigger questions are..
1..why is there that amount of trub? If it doesn't go in, it doesn't need to be filtered out? So can it be minimised earlier in the process.

2..Is the filter surface area big enough to cope with the amount of trub?

3..IMO 300 µ is too fine? Perhaps run a 800 µ filter first and then the 300 µ ? Or just the 800 µ filter? I personally think 800 is fine enough.

Are you filtering for a cleaner fermentation or just to get it out? I dabbled a bit with filtering [for ale] and found no proof that it makes a better beer. Racking to a secondary after two weeks made for better beer. Two weeks primary, two weeks secondary (airtight and chilled) two weeks maturing.

Consider also that filtering Is taking stuff out - by that I mean flavour & nutrition. Pre-fermentation is that a good thing? I guess it depends on the recipe.
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:58 am

I contacted Speidel and they said no problem adjusting the flow of the pump with the pump device valve, just don't close it off completely.

After whirlpooling, chilling and 30 min settling i'm pumping pretty clear wort. The 300 micron filter is just insurance to pick up the little extra trub that usually makes it way in towards the end of transfer. This really isn't a true filter, more like a hop spider that sits on the rim of the fermenter. It drains well and does not clog.

All I brew are Lagers and I like to harvest my yeast up to 12 generations or so. The less trub in the fermenter the cleaner the yeast cake for future generations.
wobdee

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

RIghto that makes sense.

Would you get a cleaner yeast still if you harvested from secondary?
12gen is good without character variation - well done.
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Probably, yes but I don't like the risk of secondary fermentation, also the better yeast are the ones that drop first, those stragglers that hang around are not the best attenuators. My Lagers are pretty much done fermenting in 6-10 days, sometimes I spund after 6 days, other times I let it go to 13 days, keg and force carb. I could probably go more than 12 generations, actually I have but I lose some attenuation so I figure 10-12 pretty much pays for itself so that's good enough for me.
wobdee

Previous

Return to Other Speidel Products