Speidel 60L Fermentor

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Speidel 60L Fermentor

Unread postby SteveOR » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 am

Sturdy. Two handles. Easy to clean. It is a barrel and the entire lid comes off for cleaning. Spigot easy to transfer. My only concern is how many years or batches can HDPE really last. I am still using glass carboys from 1993.

Here is photo of a 20 L , 30 L fermentor . 60L in background

speidel_fermentors.jpg
Speidel Fermentors

Cheers
Last edited by SteveOR on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Model: 20 litres

RE: Speidel 60L Fermentor

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:37 am

Those Speidel fermentors surely offer a safer alternative to glass!

Some of the photos on HBT of injuries caused by broken carboys are truly horrifying...

Unread postby niels » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:17 pm

SteveOR wrote:Sturdy. Two handles. Easy to clean. It is a barrel and the entire lid comes off for cleaning. Spigot easy to transfer. My only concern is how many years or batches can HDPE really last. I am still using glass carboys from 1993.

No idea how long they will last. I bought a second hand 120L HDPE fermentor which had been used for a lot of batches, so the inside was stained/coloured and it smelled really hard. We fermented a few batches in it without any noticeable changes in taste.

I have read about people getting rid of the smell by soaking the fermentor in bleach. I never tried it as it also might result in off flavours due to the bleach.

The lid makes it easy to top crop (which is still the prefered way of harvesting top cropping yeast)!
cpa4ny wrote:Those Speidel fermentors surely offer a safer alternative to glass!

Some of the photos on HBT of injuries caused by broken carboys are truly horrifying...

They are also a more efficient form. You can easily put a 60L fermentor in a smaller fridge while a 54L dame jeanne/demijohn wouldn't fit.

If you take care when cleaning so you don't scratch it I think it will serve you very well for a long time.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 pm

A long soak with PBW generally cleans the "beer stone" from your fermenter and for my mind, never use a scourer. :)
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 am

I am 10,000% with Dicko on this one. I NEVER EVER scrub inside of the plastic fermentor.

(I use Beer Cellar ones - http://www.brewcellar.com.au/beerrange/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=61).

Soak overnight with PBW, pour, rinse a couple of times - and that's it. Sanitize and ferment away!

In > 3 years of brewing, I never had any sanitation issues. *touch wood*

Unread postby SteveOR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks for the no scrub advice. PBW is wonderful. I am trying an electric pump to spray down the inside , trying to mix 1 gallon instead of 5.
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Unread postby paddye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:14 pm

when I started brewing first time round I was 15 and I was using my dads equipment that he was using the day i was born. when i picked it up i didnt even need to replace the o rings, all i did was give it a good wash with a dish cloth and an over night soak in milton. my parents were even renovating the house at the time so while i was brewing in the kitchen it was just a tap on a copper pipe over a dirt floor.

I have read a lot of posts, mainly on us forums that suggest replacing your plastic fermentors after as little as TEN brews, IMHO this is rubbish otherwise I would have to buy (in my dreams) a new egg every ten brews and at nearly 400 euros swmbo would cut my credit and other things off pretty quick.

i think so long as there arent any deep scratches in your plastic stuff youre ok.
paddye

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 pm

The 60L fermenter is great, easily fits into a larder fridge, spigot is easy to draw from, the lid is surprisingly airtight (I don't even bother with the lid clamp) and it scrubs up clean very easily.
Last edited by BrauTim on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby royco » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:50 pm

A small high pressure cleaner is inexpensive and does a great job of cleaning plastic ferm vessels, cubes, even the BM itself (just be gentle on the heating coils).
Makes cleanup a breeze and scratch-free.
royco

Re: Speidel 60L Fermentor

Unread postby niels » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:30 pm

I received two 60l fermentors last week. Is it me or are the lids really a pain in the cock to open? Is there some trick which I'm not aware of?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Please let me know as well. I always think I am going to tear the plastic lugs off when trying to force the #@$%&* thing off
royco

Unread postby Batz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm

I am moving away from plastic fermenters altogether, I strongly believe they can leave a carry over taste from the last brew. I have two 30lt stainless olive oil drums that I have used for the last few brews and I am very pleased with the result. They also come in 50lt, 100lt and other sizes.

Batz

DSCF3834.JPG
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:09 am

I've started fermenting in 20 litre water jerry cans.

I can fit as many as six in my fermenting fridge at a time and they actually have about a 23 litre capacity, which suits a 20L BM and 19L Cornies perfectly.

The small lid means that I can't get my hand in there to scrub, but soaking in sodium percarbonate and hot water brings them up as good as new every time. Then I just sanitise before use.

20 Litres is also a size and weight that is easily lifted in and out of the fermenting fridge.

I've never noticed any carry over in flavours or smells from one brew to the next. The sodium percarbonate seems to take care of that.

Oh and best of all they're cheap.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Batz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:50 am

Cervantes wrote:
I've never noticed any carry over in flavours or smells from one brew to the next. The sodium percarbonate seems to take care of that.

After 35 years of brewing in plastic I though the same, just a couple of brews in stainless has changed my mind. It's all a matter of choice as is everything in home brewing, and yes I have used sodium percarbonate for many years.

I also went the 20 litre water jerry cans some 10 or 12 years ago when fridge space was a problem, I found they worked quite well also.

Happy brewing.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:19 am

Batz,

So where did you get the olive oil drums?

They look expensive.......
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Next

Return to Other Speidel Products