Big size SS Speidel tanks

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Big size SS Speidel tanks

Unread postby philip500 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi guys

We are in the process of setting up a brewpub in an existing restaurant. We have decided to go for Braumeister 500L for the brewhouse and now we are working out the fermentation and serving tank issue.

Does anyone have any experience of using Speidel's tanks for conditioning/carbonation and serving? We are thinking of using Duotank as serving tank. I'm not sure if Speidel's SS 625L pressure tank is suitable for fermentation/conditioning and carbonation. It's up to 1.2 bar which I think is a bit on the low side for a fully carbonated beer.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for good SS fermentation tanks?

Cheers

Philip
philip500

Re: Big size SS Speidel tanks

Unread postby Stickrod » Thu May 12, 2016 9:55 pm

I looked in to the 625 non pressure tanks that are available in the USA, but never used. Talking to a few people, i was told it is very hard to harvest yeast out of these, even with the "dish" bottom. But that price point is stellar. 1.2 Barr is 17 psi, which technically would work. I've been carbonating 30bbl combi conical tanks at 15 psi just fine. Usually takes about 3 times running up to 15 psi through the carb stone then blowing off to hit around 2.6 volumes in solution. The prv blows around 20 psi on these tanks. You could always carbonate to 1.6 or so in the speidel tanks and finish carbonation in the serving tanks, or something alone those lines.
Stickrod

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Munz » Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am

Hi Philip500.

Where are you located? The reason I ask is that the Speidel unitanks aren't insulated as I understand, which could pose a problem if you experience temperatures at either extreme. I know they're not really recommended where I live, with temps above 40C in summer. That aside, I'm told they are fine for conditioning, carbonation, and serving from. 1.2 bar isn't huge, but should be fine.

Out of interest, how many beers do you intend to have on tap and how long do you expect 500L of each beer to last?

Exciting :beer:
Munz

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri May 13, 2016 6:24 am

i have used the 'dish' bottom 625 tanks. these are the low-pressure rating ones, but i'm not sure if they are zero or the 1.2 bar you are talking about. they have no manway and no carbonation port, and indeed no insulation, only the glycol jacket. quality is really good, they are sturdy and not bad on the eye, but indeed yeast harvest is difficult / impractical. it holds pressure enough to CO2-push transfer but i wouldn't try to carbonate. as munz said i am not sure you could hold them at low temps with no insulation.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby philip500 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:26 am

cheers for reply and input,

I was thinking of the coneshaped version, ZKG625L. Should be better for harvesting yeast.

Location is Northern Sweden so any high temperature will not be a problem during fermentation.

Thinking of getting a BBT besides 3 FV for carbonating well and conditioning before the beer hits the serving tanks.
philip500

Return to Other Speidel Products