BM Copper Hoods

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Re: BM Copper Hoods

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 am

Batz wrote:Whoa! This thing gets so hot! Anyone with a Braumeister hood fitted handles to it?

Batz

I'm considering welded handles, but I will need to start looking for a pair.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby zoigl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:20 am

I have an early copper hood with out any rubber seals. I boil at 102c and the hot break comes out the top. I use a simple hand sprayer and spray a mist of water onto the hood to cool it for a few moments. This cools it enough to slow the overflow.
I also use thickish, long rubber gloves when handling the hood. I have never felt any heat with my hands at all.
I try to keep things simple,and use protective clothing, rubber boots, and a butcher's nylon apron. IMHO, I don't think handles on the hood are the way to go.
The local Master Butcher supply shop has an amazing collection of protective clothing.
:beer:
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
zoigl

Unread postby Batz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:26 am

zoigl wrote:I have an early copper hood with out any rubber seals. I boil at 102c and the hot break comes out the top. I use a simple hand sprayer and spray a mist of water onto the hood to cool it for a few moments. This cools it enough to slow the overflow.
I also use thickish, long rubber gloves when handling the hood. I have never felt any heat with my hands at all.
I try to keep things simple,and use protective clothing, rubber boots, and a butcher's nylon apron. IMHO, I don't think handles on the hood are the way to go.
The local Master Butcher supply shop has an amazing collection of protective clothing.
:beer:

Of course! Use my welding gloves...thanks zoigl so simple I didn't think of it :oops:
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby johnrm » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:41 am

I'm new to the site and only have 3 brews down on the BM 20l.
I have both the jacket and s/s hood.
What I have noticed is that pellet hops get deposited on the inside of the Vessel during a vigorous boil, so diallrd back the temp back to minimise foaming in the headspace.
My concern is reduced hop utilisation as the hop material had left the wort.
One brew had an small amount of cones, these stayed in the boil 100%.
johnrm

Unread postby Dan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:01 am

johnrm wrote:I'm new to the site and only have 3 brews down on the BM 20l.
I have both the jacket and s/s hood.
What I have noticed is that pellet hops get deposited on the inside of the Vessel during a vigorous boil, so diallrd back the temp back to minimise foaming in the headspace.
My concern is reduced hop utilisation as the hop material had left the wort.
One brew had an small amount of cones, these stayed in the boil 100%.

Can't hurt to give it a stir occassionally - as you might a pot of soup.
Push everything down off the sides and back into the brew.
I do and it makes me feel better :D
Dan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby johnrm » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:16 am

I have done this, it is a pity the temp can't be fine adjusted to .5 degree. Maybe a resistor in line with the temp sensor.
There is definitely an energy impact with the hood in place.
As for the hood getting hot - I did a brew day on a local micro - you really do need gloves for the boil, steam burns are nasty.
Consider a jubilee clip on the narrow section and affix handles here
johnrm

Re: BM Copper Hoods. My first use

Unread postby SteveOR » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:38 pm

Just received the copper hood. I wanted a better boil. I figured it might have boil over problems during hot break. However it wanted to boil over for over 30 minutes. I lowered temp from 102 tp 100 and the boil over behavior improved but the boil was so puny i bumped up to 101 and more boil over. My starting boil vol was 25L. I am guessing if i had patiently waited on the 100 setting the boil would have become more vigorous. My first use has me wondering? The utility of the grain funnel was really nice. I guess ill try the 100 setting next brew.
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

BM Copper Hoods

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:13 am

SteveOR wrote:Just received the copper hood. I wanted a better boil. I figured it might have boil over problems during hot break. However it wanted to boil over for over 30 minutes. I lowered temp from 102 tp 100 and the boil over behavior improved but the boil was so puny i bumped up to 101 and more boil over. My starting boil vol was 25L. I am guessing if i had patiently waited on the 100 setting the boil would have become more vigorous. My first use has me wondering? The utility of the grain funnel was really nice. I guess ill try the 100 setting next brew.

Just wait until hot break has subsided and your boil will be right as rain. Keep at 102, just wait. No reason to put hood on until hot break has subsided.

Unread postby mashy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:55 am

Bang on Nesto
mashy

Unread postby Aleman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:55 pm

I think you're definition of the hot break and mine are completely different. The hot break occurs when the wort has boiled long enough four all the protein matter to have coagulated. This happens at least after 60 minutes of the boil if not longer.

John Palmer refers to the foam at the start of the boil as the hot break . . . It isn't, it is just the wort 'coppering up'.
Last edited by Aleman on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aleman

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Sorry I took Jr's word for it.
mashy

Unread postby Harloc » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Anybody has a 50l hood?
Could help me with the dimensions?
The total height is 225mm? Width 457mm?
I would like to know the neck height and width.
Help please:).

Best,
Peter
Harloc

Previous

Return to Other Speidel Products