BM Copper Hoods

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Re: BM Copper Hoods

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:10 pm

niels wrote:
Since it completes my BM set-up, I promised my girlfriend that this would be the last accessory for my BM

- Niels

Now that is a BIG statement Niels. :lol: :cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Batz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:53 am

I would love S.S. hood for my 50lt, way to expensive here in Australia.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 am

Batz wrote:I would love S.S. hood for my 50lt, way to expensive here in Australia.

I found a German store selling them for 145 € (which is 30 € cheaper than elsewhere). It's not the cheapest solution, but I have too much DIY projects laying around that I couldn't bother too much about this one.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Still in the deciding mode about buying a BM. However, while the copper dome has a TON of bling factor, I would think the upkeep to keep it looking like the photo would be excessive.. just one more chore.. and not a small one at that. I'd go for the SS version.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Re: RE: BM Copper Hoods

Unread postby Jackson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:08 pm

swiggingpig wrote:I have the Copper hood and the Thermo jacket, I bought them at the same time as the BM.

I have to brew in my cellar so with the 20L BM only having a 2Kw element I decided that the Thermo jacket was a must with the Baltic temperatures we enjoy in the UK :)

Does the thermo jacket help much with the boil. Thought that was there more to help speed up the time it takes to warm up etc..

Gave my BM a test run a few days ago and definitely want to give the boil some help but trying to decide if I need to go with a hood or if its biggest advantage is help removing steam

Thanks
Jackson

Unread postby niels » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Jackson wrote:Does the thermo jacket help much with the boil. Thought that was there more to help speed up the time it takes to warm up etc..

Gave my BM a test run a few days ago and definitely want to give the boil some help but trying to decide if I need to go with a hood or if its biggest advantage is help removing steam

Thanks

You can make a cheap thermo jacket with a simple camping mat: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70
This definitely helps the BM keeping its temperature, so decreasing the time to raise temperature and keeping the boil going.

The hood is really a dual purpose accessory: it helps with the boil and makes it easier to drive off the steam. Here is a quote from another post:
niels wrote:Boiling happened with the stainless steel hood for the first time. Main advantage: I connected a flexible aluminum pipe to the hood which lead all the vaporization outside. Big plus as I didn't have to watch for condens dripping of the ceiling!
Main disadvantages: The hood get hot! So does the aluminum pipe. Hop additions are dangerous as there are no handles on the hood. Also, the seal tends to get loose when you're sliding the hood instead of picking it up. And as last: you don't see what is going on in the kettle :(
But I'm still happy with the purchase as I really like the way I get rid of the condensation now! I'll ask my father-in-law to weld some handles to the hood. I'll search the web for some stainless steel with wood handles.

If I were you I would first spend a few quid on a camping mat and a few minutes cutting it up. If that helps enough you don't have to spend your cash on a hood.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Jackson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:16 pm

niels wrote:
Jackson wrote:Does the thermo jacket help much with the boil. Thought that was there more to help speed up the time it takes to warm up etc..

Thanks

You can make a cheap thermo jacket with a simple camping mat: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70
This definitely helps the BM keeping its temperature, so decreasing the time to raise temperature and keeping the boil going.

The hood is really a dual purpose accessory: it helps with the boil and makes it easier to drive off the steam. Here is a quote from another post:
niels wrote:Boiling happened with the stainless steel hood for the first time. Main advantage: I connected a flexible aluminum pipe to the hood which lead all the vaporization outside. Big plus as I didn't have to watch for condens dripping of the ceiling!
Main disadvantages: The hood get hot! So does the aluminum pipe. Hop additions are dangerous as there are no handles on the hood. Also, the seal tends to get loose when you're sliding the hood instead of picking it up. And as last: you don't see what is going on in the kettle :(
But I'm still happy with the purchase as I really like the way I get rid of the condensation now! I'll ask my father-in-law to weld some handles to the hood. I'll search the web for some stainless steel with wood handles.

If I were you I would first spend a few quid on a camping mat and a few minutes cutting it up. If that helps enough you don't have to spend your cash on a hood.

- Niels

Thanks, there's a few camping stores near work (not sure why one of Manchesters busiest roads is a hub for them) so will go in tomorrow and see what I can find.
Jackson

Unread postby Batz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 am

niels wrote:
Batz wrote:I would love S.S. hood for my 50lt, way to expensive here in Australia.

I found a German store selling them for 145 € (which is 30 € cheaper than elsewhere). It's not the cheapest solution, but I have too much DIY projects laying around that I couldn't bother too much about this one.

- Niels

Does that store have a website Niels? I wonder if they would ship to Australia and how much it would be?
And what about a show off photo for us?

Batz
Batz

Unread postby niels » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 am

Paul was faster :)

I didn't take a picture yet, but I will try to make one later this week.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Batz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks,
I have sent an email to find out shipping costs.

Since it completes my BM set-up, I promised my wife that this would be the last accessory for my BM

Doctor said the stitches can be removed in nine days time. :lol:

Batz
Batz

Unread postby Batz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:46 am

Thanks guys, I can save $68.00 Australian by ordering for Germany.

Batz
Batz

Unread postby niels » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:30 am

Batz wrote:Thanks guys, I can save $68.00 Australian by ordering for Germany.

Batz

You'll save more than I. And I'm living I'm a country next door. But you'll probably spending more too...

I suppose the local resellers do have a nice markup on BM gear.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Batz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:16 am

It will cost me 41.90 Ero's for shipping.

I you bring it over Niels I'll buy free beer for you.!

Batz
Batz

Unread postby paulg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:47 pm

thats a good saving Batz you can buy some grain for the next brew with it
paulg

PreviousNext

Return to Other Speidel Products