BM Copper Hoods

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

RE: BM Copper Hoods

Unread postby Batz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:17 am

I'm sure Fitch the rubber man would stock a rubber seal to prevent leaking. I see the Speidel ones have a seal.
Last edited by Batz on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:39 am

Batz wrote:I'm sure Fitch the rubber man would stock a rubber seal to prevent leaking. I see the Speidel ones have a seal.

I am sure that they would mate.

After lunch my good wife is going down to the local catering shop to have a look for me...she has already measured the BM and I believe her interest to find one is being kept keen by the cost of the original copper hood $349.00 :D

What a woman...;)
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:05 am

I'll be keeping a close eye on that experiment Dicko.
Had a very strange situation yesterday which had me second guessing - but after second measuring too I'm dumbfounded - boil off for 90 min was exactly 1 L less than usual (hence second guessing). Usually 4.5L but yesterday was 3.5?!?
Won't make any wild guesses yet (apart from your measuring stick being a dud :P )
I'll wait until I do the next brew and measure 3 x
But (back on topic) a little extra boil off wouldn't hurt. Seems such a tame boil as it is.
Dan

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:21 am

Nothing worse than a short stick Dan :(

Ill post some pics later.... she found one :beer:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:06 am

Dicko wrote:Nothing worse than a short stick Dan :(

Ill post some pics later.... she found one:beer:

Looking forward to seeing it Geoff, in fact heading over to Streaky early March, with a bit of luck I might catch up for a beer.
Batz

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:16 am

Batz wrote:
Dicko wrote:Nothing worse than a short stick Dan :(

Ill post some pics later.... she found one:beer:

Looking forward to seeing it Geoff, in fact heading over to Streaky early March, with a bit of luck I might catch up for a beer.

Great idea Jeff, I'll have to get brewing again.
You are welcome to stay here if you want mate.

Back on topic.

Here is what she found for $9.50

Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:27 am

I might take you up on that mate, just drive down by myself. What is it 300kms?

Batz
Batz

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:39 am

Batz wrote:I might take you up on that mate, just drive down by myself. What is it 300kms?

Batz

Yes Jeff 300klms....more than welcome mate just give me a bit of notice so I am not working.
I can be flexible with work at that time of the year.
Dicko

Unread postby swiggingpig » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:23 pm

I have the Copper hood and the Thermo jacket, I bought them at the same time as the BM.

I have to brew in my cellar so with the 20L BM only having a 2Kw element I decided that the Thermo jacket was a must with the Baltic temperatures we enjoy in the UK :)

Again, as I brew in my cellar I needed an effective method of removing the steam. I found that cooker hoods were a bit hit and miss so I fitted an extractor fan and I connect the copper hood to it with a standard 4" flexi hose which is long enough to create a dip which collects the condensation.
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:07 pm

I know alot of guys use their hood for doughing in. I found a $2 ccn alternative.

I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:06 pm

swiggingpig wrote:I have the Copper hood and the Thermo jacket, I bought them at the same time as the BM.

I have to brew in my cellar so with the 20L BM only having a 2Kw element I decided that the Thermo jacket was a must with the Baltic temperatures we enjoy in the UK :)

Again, as I brew in my cellar I needed an effective method of removing the steam. I found that cooker hoods were a bit hit and miss so I fitted an extractor fan and I connect the copper hood to it with a standard 4" flexi hose which is long enough to create a dip which collects the condensation.

Hi swigginpig,

Would it be possible for you to take a pic of the underside of the copper hood and of the rubber that I believe comes with it?

As per above posts I am looking to make something similar from a caterers s steel bowl and I want to see how they stop the condensation running down the outside of the kettle.

Thank you in anticipation

Dicko
Dicko

Unread postby swiggingpig » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Dicko wrote:Hi swigginpig,

Would it be possible for you to take a pic of the underside of the copper hood and of the rubber that I believe comes with it?

As per above posts I am looking to make something similar from a caterers s steel bowl and I want to see how they stop the condensation running down the outside of the kettle.

Thank you in anticipation

Dicko

Hi Dicko,

I know it needs cleaning, but I'm too lazy to polish after every use :P

The first image is of the edge of the Copper hood and the second tries to show the profile of the rubber seal which fits over the edge

Image Image

:beer:
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Thank you for that swigginpig.
So it appears that it is only the rubber that stops any condensate running down the outside.

Cheers
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:10 am

Lgkex wrote:I think they are nice looking but not worth the price. My boil rate with 20l is 1gal per hr which is perfect. I mash and fill Bm to 5.3 gals. I get my gravity right for how I want to finish. I add 1gal water, boil off a gal and I am back to my OG with hops isomerised, DMS removed and all the rest that comes with a full wort boil. Why would I want to add a hood with no openings? This will only increase pressure in the BM which will increase temperature and boil off rate. I'm not sure what happens in the computer when the kettle temp goes above 102 which it will with the hood on. What happens when you have to add hops or your IC? To many unanswered q's for me to drop that much cash on something that looks nice.

just to get back to this question, the idea for me to use the hood is to vent steam out of my small brew room (which is still under construction). i used to brew in my kitchen, and at the end of the boil it was just about raining upstairs. here in holland the air is pretty much permanently near dew point, doesn't take mush additional water vapor to tip it over to full on precipitation
also, just to clarify, i don't know why you think there's no opening, the hood has a big opening, it's made to have a duct attached, like a mini version of a proper brewery kettle. so there's no pressure generated, but some report higher boiloff rate as it heats more efficiently with the hood on. (and that's why people use them inverted as a malt funnel)
cheers
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:15 am

swiggingpig wrote:I have the Copper hood and the Thermo jacket, I bought them at the same time as the BM.

hey pig, question- (two questions) do you use a standard bathroom extractor, will that handle all the water vapor ok? or do you need a special / kitchen version (see how little i know about extractor fans...)? and, do you have a valve or opening on the trap (low point) of your flexi hose? or do you just drain it after the brew session?
where in uk are you? i was many years in oxfordshire, on the old hooky
ok so it was 4 questions in the end
dinnerstick

PreviousNext

Return to Other Speidel Products