BM Copper Hoods

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

BM Copper Hoods

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:31 am

I have seen the copper hoods that are available for the BM's and I was wondering what they are like apart from being able to empty the grain neatly into the malt pipe when inverted.

They are extremely expensive in Aus but do they......

Increase the volatility of the boil?

Does the wort that condenses drip back into the kettle or does it run down the outside?

Is the boil volume affected between no hood fitted and hood fitted?

I saw on another forum somewhere that a guy made a hood from a stainless steel bowl that he found in a kitchenware shop which has got me wondering as to how it may work.

I hope I have posted this in the correct section...if not maybe you would want to move it niels.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

RE: BM Copper Hoods

Unread postby niels » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:04 am

I can't answer your questions with certainty as I don't own a hood. But I would think that the boil will be better as it has the same effect as putting a the lid partly onto the BM.

Besides the copper version of the hood there is also a somewhat less expensive stainless steel hood (130 EUR vs 199 EUR for the 20L):

bm_ss_hood.jpg
bm_ss_hood.jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

bm_copper_hood.jpg
bm_copper_hood.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Niels

Note: Photos courtesy of Brouwland
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:57 am

I got the copper hood and I use it in every brew.

Some of the condensation drops back into the BM, some obviously get evaporated through the hole.

Nothing runs down the side of my BM.

The funnel function that you mentioned is very useful as well.

I think the hood & the jacket should work very well in conjunction with each other to maximize the boil (which I always have set @ 102C)

(Disclaimer: I still haven't bought the jacket, but it's on my "fairly urgent" shopping list).
Last edited by cpa4ny on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:03 am

niels wrote:
Note: Photos courtesy of Brouwland

Wow - is that brushed metal look a new finish for the BMs? Mine got a chrome finish.

Unread postby SteveOR » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:12 pm

I asked morebeer if they had the stainless hood. The response was not now but my request would be forwarded to the purchasing group. I like the look of copper but prefer steel price.
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Unread postby Batz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:14 am

I wonder how much the stainless ones would be in Australia? They look so cool ;-)
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Euro - AUD exchange rate puts them at around AUD$200 ex factory + shipping + dealer's slice of the action
Dan

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Gee, they are quite expensive for what they are...but I note the copper variety is $349 in Aus retail.

I wonder do they increase boil activity to assist with wort clarity or are they just purely good looking bling....???
Last edited by Dicko on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 am

i have a new brew space with an old dryer vent available, thinking about getting a hood (i suppose stainless) can anyone help talk me into/out of it? my worry with the dryer vent is that condensation is going to travel back down the vent picking up dust and drip into the kettle unless i make an inversion to act as a trap?? do people get a much more vigorous boil with the hood, am i going to boil over at the start of the boil? did i really just use the word boil 3 times in a sentence without even breaching the topic of dermatology?? how easy is it to remove during the aforementioned heating phase, for hop additions and the like? thanks!
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:02 pm

dinnerstick wrote:i have a new brew space with an old dryer vent available, thinking about getting a hood (i suppose stainless) can anyone help talk me into/out of it? my worry with the dryer vent is that condensation is going to travel back down the vent picking up dust and drip into the kettle unless i make an inversion to act as a trap?? do people get a much more vigorous boil with the hood, am i going to boil over at the start of the boil? did i really just use the word boil 3 times in a sentence without even breaching the topic of dermatology?? how easy is it to remove during the aforementioned heating phase, for hop additions and the like? thanks!

I have been thinking about this too. A local homebrewer I once visited had a flexible pipe that he put through a small window. He always made sure there was a bent and that condensation drips to the end of the pipe. It was not a permanent setup so he stored the pipe in a U-bent with the ends to the ground: water drips out and once dry you put a plastic bag over the ends to prevent dust entering.

For a more permanent setup I would consider putting a filter at the exit. This would prevent dust from entering the pipe. But I would change it often to prevent mold.

Adding an extraction fan will increase the boil off, no? So if you do it you have to recalculate your water volumes and boiling times.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Lgkex » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:51 pm

niels wrote:
dinnerstick wrote:i have a new brew space with an old dryer vent available, thinking about getting a hood (i suppose stainless) can anyone help talk me into/out of it? my worry with the dryer vent is that condensation is going to travel back down the vent picking up dust and drip into the kettle unless i make an inversion to act as a trap?? do people get a much more vigorous boil with the hood, am i going to boil over at the start of the boil? did i really just use the word boil 3 times in a sentence without even breaching the topic of dermatology?? how easy is it to remove during the aforementioned heating phase, for hop additions and the like? thanks!

I have been thinking about this too. A local homebrewer I once visited had a flexible pipe that he put through a small window. He always made sure there was a bent and that condensation drips to the end of the pipe. It was not a permanent setup so he stored the pipe in a U-bent with the ends to the ground: water drips out and once dry you put a plastic bag over the ends to prevent dust entering.

For a more permanent setup I would consider putting a filter at the exit. This would prevent dust from entering the pipe. But I would change it often to prevent mold.

Adding an extraction fan will increase the boil off, no? So if you do it you have to recalculate your water volumes and boiling times.

Niels

I think they are nice looking but not worth the price. My boil rate with 20l is 1gal per hr which is perfect. I mash and fill Bm to 5.3 gals. I get my gravity right for how I want to finish. I add 1gal water, boil off a gal and I am back to my OG with hops isomerised, DMS removed and all the rest that comes with a full wort boil. Why would I want to add a hood with no openings? This will only increase pressure in the BM which will increase temperature and boil off rate. I'm not sure what happens in the computer when the kettle temp goes above 102 which it will with the hood on. What happens when you have to add hops or your IC? To many unanswered q's for me to drop that much cash on something that looks nice.
Lgkex

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:06 pm

I think they are nice looking but not worth the price. My boil rate with 20l is 1gal per hr which is perfect. I mash and fill Bm to 5.3 gals. I get my gravity right for how I want to finish. I add 1gal water, boil off a gal and I am back to my OG with hops isomerised, DMS removed and all the rest that comes with a full wort boil. Why would I want to add a hood with no openings? This will only increase pressure in the BM which will increase temperature and boil off rate. I'm not sure what happens in the computer when the kettle temp goes above 102 which it will with the hood on. What happens when you have to add hops or your IC? To many unanswered q's for me to drop that much cash on something that looks nice.

Some good points there, I just wonder why the Germans made this as an accessory? Surely not only for the bling factor. :)
Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:22 am

I was at the market last weekend and saw one of those aluminum industrial light shades. I didn't have a tape to measure it but it looked the part, was new and $10.00. Perhaps a cheaper option?

This type of thing.

Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:50 am

I have seen at some catering supplies a s/steel pot shaped exactly the same as those lampshades.
I think the important thing is that any hood does not allow condensed wort to run down the outside of the BM.

One of those shades would be great for an experiment if its diameter was a tad smaller than your BM
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:57 am

Dicko

Next

Return to Other Speidel Products