Speidel Thermo Collar

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Speidel Thermo Collar

Unread postby timtoos » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I use a BM20.

Anyone use the thermo collar? If so is it worth the cost? I think its about £50ish.

What are the benefits? (apart from cheaper to run due to less temperature losses).

Cheers all
timtoos

Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Thermo Collar

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Timtoos, I cannot answer about the Speidel jacket but I (very recently) bought a car windshield reflector off eBay for less than $10.00 US. I did not trim it, just made a small cut where the handles go and folded down the extra from the top. Hold it down with a couple of bungie chords and you are good to go. I only have two brews on it so far but I "think" it really helped my boil. And I live in a warm place. :cheers:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Yes. Definitely worth it. Speeds up brew days and saves money on the electricity bill.
mashy

Unread postby Kyle_T » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 am

mashy wrote:Yes. Definitely worth it. Speeds up brew days and saves money on the electricity bill.

+1, it is also very good for pre-heating liqour, my kitchen is unheated and it loses approximately 18.5°C overnight, if I want to mash in at 60°C, I heat it to roughly 76°C, by morning time it is on or around the 60°C mark and ready to mash in.
Kyle_T

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby timtoos » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I think Ill be investing in something to keep it warm. Spiedel or homemade that's where I am now
timtoos

Unread postby Nashbrew » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Defiantly worth while I would say.
Don't forget to wake up breathing!
Nashbrew

Unread postby niels » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 pm

You should consider some insulation. Either a cheap-ass camping mat or the genuine Speidel accessory. Both will help on reducing heat loss (and increasing ramp up times).

I've a camping mat for my BM50 and the genuine jacket for my BM10. With both the improvements are noticeable, but the latter is the more expensive solution. Of course it is well made and easy to put on/take off.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby RichM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Yes agree with everyone, i've got the Speidel collar for my 20 litre and it does speed up time to strike temp and boil, i brewed outside last weekend with my neighbour, it was pretty cold and surprised how much difference the extra insulation made.
you could probably wrap a lump of camping mat around it and hold it on with a length of bungee cord for next to nothing and it would probably do the job, but thats your choice.
RichM

Unread postby richardm » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:21 pm

I've made a jacket from some left over insulation http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-loft- ... 139_BQ.prd
I also have the stainsteel hood. I get a good rolling boil and the surface of the Braumiester doesn't get very hot. So the insulation must being some good
Richard M
20L BM
Cardiff, Wales
richardm

Unread postby squadricus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Seems like it would do a good job of covering dent.

Wonder how the Speidels jacket and the homemades would stack up against a copper or stainless jacket filled with foamed insulation.

Seriously thinking about a heat tape or two under the jacket for additional heat.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby RichM » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:19 pm

squadricus wrote:Seems like it would do a good job of covering dent.

Wonder how the Speidels jacket and the homemades would stack up against a copper or stainless jacket filled with foamed insulation.

Seriously thinking about a heat tape or two under the jacket for additional heat.

Why not go the full hog and make a foam cover for the lid as well, a chunk of foam camping mate would do the job

You can always heat up some of your strike water in a kettle and warm the BM up by strong indoors over night then running some hot water into it before adding the strike water, but unless your brewing up out at the Arctic circle or outdoors in Norway its only going to save you minutes.

I've thought about adding the wifi module to mine, setting it up the night before then starting the strike water heating stage from bed, when its up to temperature get up and mash in, and go back to bed for an hour and a half why the BM does its thing, then finally get up for the boil stage. Whiles its boiling i can get my fermenter ready and clean down the malt pipe, measure out hops etc
RichM

Unread postby mashy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:06 am

RichM wrote: Why not go the full hog and make a foam cover for the lid as well, a chunk of foam camping mate would do the job

I did - brilliant.

If you guys have domestic HW systems in the house, which store hot water - what's wrong with using that? I have. And if anything I have found it is better. The water is slightly de-calcified, but most importantly has lost a lot of its chlorine. Winner. winner etc
mashy

Unread postby Kent » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:46 pm

I bough the genuine Speidel thermo collar for mine. Only just because it looks pretty but looking at the material it is made from, I don't think you would be any worse off with some camping mat or car windscreen sun block material. Also a cover on the lid would be a good idea as someone has mentioned.
Kent

Unread postby duncans » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

If you don't mind the look of it, a home-made jacket would work just as well as the official jacket. Just down to looks.
duncans

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby Joe1002 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Insulation jackets also stop you burning yourself if you accidentally touch the BM during the boil.
Joe1002

Next

Return to Other Speidel Products