The Gärmeister

Ask questions and share experiences about other Speidel products like accessories, fermentation vessels, ...

Re: The Gärmeister

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:19 pm

There is already one on market- http://www.brewjacket.com , originally only cooled but from next month apparently they have one that will warm too. works like sous vide in cooking. only draw back i can see is cant quick chill- is that a deal breaker?

This is actually my first post as i've just joined. ive been researching what kit for the last 3 months or so, and finally decided yesterday to go for the BM, havnt decided whether 20l or 10l yet- any advice?

I spent as much time looking into fermentation as brew gear and was really surpprised there isnt any all in one heat controlled fermentation vessels on the market yet. i imagine BM and GF types would love them.

on another note, my thoughts are i will need in addition to the BM itself a few other things to get off to a smooth start- cooling coil, hop spiders, a FV, and for my brew fridge- a heat mat and and temp controller as well as a fridge ( how much simpler a temp controlled FV!) . is there anything else anyone would suggest? gonna kick off with the black IPA recipe I think.
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 am

Welcome to the forum.
Great first post - good find!
In the UK, heating is more the issue than cooling.. With the exception of 2 days in August :D

To answer your question. Unless space prevents it entirely get a 20l

Chiller. You might find the commercial ones take 20-30 mins.

Search "fast beer"... it might give you some more ideas.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:02 pm

ok thanks for that. been on hols but back and the the BM is on the way - i went for the 20l one. still havent decided what to do about brew fridge. like the idea of these devices better but obviously need something quickly in the meantime. i ordered the BM FV and it looks like it may be difficult to fit it in a standard below the counter fridge, with the air lock- its massive.

i am in ireland by the way so, dito, but the heating in our house is all over the shop and can get overwarm in winter!
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 am

Onthebrew wrote:ok thanks for that. been on hols but back and the the BM is on the way - i went for the 20l one. still havent decided what to do about brew fridge. like the idea of these devices better but obviously need something quickly in the meantime. i ordered the BM FV and it looks like it may be difficult to fit it in a standard below the counter fridge, with the air lock- its massive.

i am in ireland by the way so, dito, but the heating in our house is all over the shop and can get overwarm in winter!

A wide mount wine fermenter will https://www.youngsgroup.co.uk/catalogue ... 486-detail
mashy

Unread postby bierfest » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Looks like they have refined it a lot if this video is correct - https://youtu.be/0uUM05Ou8F0
Seems like it screws in to the tap area on this small conical. That would be strange unless there was an alternative way to withdraw your beer.
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Looking at that it looks more like they scrapped and replaced it, unless iv'e missed something.

The idea in original post was it would control temperature, where as this look likes it just monitors the fermentation process - the mobile option for the 30 litres FVs anyway.

The control system for professional version needs to go with the 60 litre SS FVs and looks like it would temperature control via a cooling blanket and an external heat circuit. page 24 and onward here -

https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/ ... nglish.pdf

anyone through any light on this?
Onthebrew

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:43 pm

http://www.geterbrewed.com/garmeister-c ... arly-2017/

garmeister being marketed now, only works with a speidal stainless steel fermenter so out of reach for most of us.

however http://www.geterbrewed.com/garspundmobi ... arly-2017/

this looks interesting but a shame it has no ability to control temperature as originally planned.
Onthebrew

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:15 pm

With the garmeister control (the professional one) they mention that it also has the ability to control a heating circuit. They provide a unit to allow you to cool the Speidel fermenter using the built in cooling jacket. However has anybody any idea how they propose to actually heat the SS fermenters?
bierfest

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:23 pm

maybe just connects to an external heating system that you would need to set up and just regulates it. Neither of them possess any resemblance to the example in original post. i wonder why they gave up on that?
Onthebrew

Unread postby bierfest » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Yes but what form would this external heating system take to work with one of these SS conicals.
bierfest

Previous

Return to Other Speidel Products