Potential buyer Braumeister

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Potential buyer Braumeister

Unread postby gregor94 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:41 am

I'm intrigued and very interested in buying a 20lt braumeister. Here's the problem, the electrical plug connection. I've emailed the manufacturer and the distributor in California and asked this question. What's the deal with converting the German equipment to USA electric connection. I was basically blown off, hire an electrician and figure it out on your own. This is crazy, you can buy flat screens and everything else from Korea/Japan and there ready to go with USA connection. So I'm asking you folks, how do you convert this machine to 220 volts USA. Hopefully it's easy and I'm just overreacting.
gregor94

RE: Potential buyer Braumeister

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:07 am

check this thread
https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?id=22
or go to homebrewtalk and sift through the many pages of this one:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel-braumeister-brewmaster-229225/
many people have dealt with the same concern. (not me, i should add, i just plug it in and go!)
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

RE: Potential buyer Braumeister

Unread postby niels » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:51 am

Since I'm living in Europe I don't have the need to convert my BM nor do I have a decent understanding of how electrics in the US are. The following information is to help you started and I hope a US forum member will join the conversation to clarify it all.

Depending on the model of the BM the socket on the machine is different. The 20l version uses a C13 plug, while the 50l uses a C19 plug.

Here is the part that is a bit fuzzy for me: the wall socket. It seems that there are different options in the US to get 220V out of a socket.

It looks like the most common is the use of a NEMA 6-20R receptacle that can be used with a NEMA L6-20P plug. This way you can simply buy a replacement cord that fits both your outlet and the BM socket: 20l (C13) or 50l (C19) (Source: HBT)

I have seen posts on other forums where someone installed a EU-style outlet in his home. This way he could use the standard power cord that comes with the BM. When I come across this info I will post/reference it here.

One thing I would definitely discourage is the use of a transformer. These things will fry in the longer run!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: RE: Potential buyer Braumeister

Unread postby Spitz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:39 pm

niels wrote:One thing I would definitely discourage is the use of a transformer. These things will fry in the longer run!

I'm getting my 20L BM today (yay!!!), and in preparation had my electrician over to discuss where/how to install the 220V plug.
We had agreed to have him install a dedicated circuit and pull it into one of my existing kitchen plugs.
I told him that would be great since I already have an EU/220V Saeco espresso machine which could share the same circuit.
(I bought it in Moscow when I was living there and didn't want to cough up $2000 to replace it with a US/110V model.)
He took a look at my transformer specs (3000W model) and the BM tech specs and said the transformer should work fine on the existing circuit.
The Saeco consumes 2300W (it's a dual coil model) and has worked famously on the transformer for over 3 years.
IIRC, the BM 20L consumes less than that, so I'm hoping it'll work fine too (of course assuming I don't run both at the same time!)
Spitz

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Potential buyer Braumeister

Unread postby LMoerkens » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 pm

If you have already a converter and your Seaco is using 2300, you should be fine. I am using a LiteFuze LT3000, which also has 3000, and it is working fine. The advantage with the LiteFuze is that you don't even need to change the plug to an American plug, since it has the European socket besides the American socket.

Good luck and welcome to the community.

:beer:
LMoerkens

Unread postby Spitz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:01 pm

LMoerkens wrote:If you have already a converter and your Seaco is using 2300, you should be fine.

Thanks! I'm using this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Bright-VC3000W-Vo ... B000MY02LQ
Which also has a Euro-socket and needs no further adapters.

Good luck and welcome to the community.

Thanks again - I'm so stoked to be brewing again after a 25 year hiatus!
Spitz

Unread postby LMoerkens » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:55 pm

From what I can see, and I am in no way an electrical expert, it is pretty much the same I am using without any problem :beerbang:
LMoerkens

Unread postby scott312 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:05 am

LMoerkens wrote:From what I can see, and I am in no way an electrical expert, it is pretty much the same I am using without any problem :beer bang:

I wanted one so I could plug up anywhere. But my home is from the 60s and everything is 15 amp. I think I will change out some breaks later on and pick one up.
scott312

Unread postby LMoerkens » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:41 pm

I have 20 amp, have seen posts n the forum where people report that a 15 amp circuit sometimes flips. :drink:
LMoerkens

Return to Potentials owners