Newbie questions

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Newbie questions

Unread postby Hansgruber » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:17 am

Looking at purchasing a 20l model in the not to distant future and would like to see peoples experience!

The main reason I haven't bought it yet are my concerns with the grain pipe capacity. I've been mainly making Belgian triples and IPA's so far, weaker beers just don't do it for me. After reading around the net I've got the impression this is quite hard to accomplish due to the grain limit of the Braumeister. I have a few questions below!

1. Have people had luck boiling down the liquor and how does it effect the hop flavor/armor?
2. would the 50l model with the extra capacity be more beneficial?
3. what is the minimum amount of water people have managed to use in the system?

Is there anything else a prospective buyer should be looking at?

Thanks!
Hansgruber

Re: Newbie questions

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:44 am

What is the gravity you are aiming for, minus the points gained from sugars added to the boil? I have no problem generating 20+ liters of 1.070-1.074 wort in the BM20 without using any special tricks (no long boil, no double mash, no added extract), just a good coarse crush, proper mash pH, and a long mashout step seems to help. I have to say that it took me a while to get used to the system before this was possible, but now it's straightforward. I am pretty (but not 100%) sure that if I needed to, with a bit more grain and collecting a bit less wort, I could get that pushing 1.090, for sure with an extended boil. I'm not saying you will definitely be able to get wort that high in the BM, but for sure what you see online about a 1.060 limit is not strictly true.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:41 pm

0. Although there is a "limit" to how big a beer you can brew, inventive brewers have worked around this limit easily. Dicko has a single mash method. Some have done double mashing for volume and some have done double mashing for higher gravity. Many of us just use some malt extract to juice up our beers. And TequilaTom has promised to post about a malt pipe modification he has used for high gravity beers. You'll have to make the call - if you're regularly producing wort >1.090, you will have to figure out if the Braumeister work-arounds are worth it for you.

1. You do have to be careful with long boils. You do stuff to the proteins, generate more Maillard reactions. Would definitely affect your beer. Hop additions would need to be adjusted based on boil length.
2. The 20/50 choice is a matter of batch size and footprint. The malt pipe in the BM20 is easier to handle. Some BM50 owners like or need to use a hoist to handle their malt pipe. It's not that you can make higher gravity wort with the BM50, you just make more of it.
3. Minimum in the BM20 is about 20-21 liters of water

What else you look at depends on whether #0 is a make or break issue for you. The Blichmann BrewEasy, BREWHA BIAC, and GrainFather are a few similar systems.

Unread postby Hansgruber » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's been very helpful so far.I'm still concerned about the size or the malt pipe. As an example my current favourite brew is a bernadus stripple clone, it calls for about 7.5kg of grain which isn't possible as people say the malt pipe supports 6-6.5 at the most.

I'm currently reading clone brews amongst other books and paying close attention their grain bills.

If only the capacity of the malt pipe was larger I would of bought one in a heartbeat. I'm now considering the 20l for most brews and keeping one of my 40l buffalo boilers as a biab system for higher gravity brews.
Hansgruber

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Hansgruber wrote:Thanks for the replies. It's been very helpful so far.I'm still concerned about the size or the malt pipe. As an example my current favourite brew is a bernadus stripple clone, it calls for about 7.5kg of grain which isn't possible as people say the malt pipe supports 6-6.5 at the most.

I'm currently reading clone brews amongst other books and paying close attention their grain bills.

If only the capacity of the malt pipe was larger I would of bought one in a heartbeat. I'm now considering the 20l for most brews and keeping one of my 40l buffalo boilers as a biab system for higher gravity brews.

According to the style guidelines a tripple is in the range 1.075-1.095 (7.5-9.5%). If 1.075 is easily achievable then you could use the overnight mashing technique to obtain 90% efficiency probably putting you close to 1.085, then a sugar addition could get you 1.095.

So if you are going to buy a BM for ordinary brews then you'll be able to experiment with these and other other techniques to increase SG.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Hansgruber wrote:Thanks for the replies. It's been very helpful so far.I'm still concerned about the size or the malt pipe. As an example my current favourite brew is a bernadus stripple clone, it calls for about 7.5kg of grain which isn't possible as people say the malt pipe supports 6-6.5 at the most.

While I haven't gone above 6.5kg, Dicko did 7.7kg recently in the thread I referenced... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=845

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:20 pm

And if you steep the crystals and add that liquor / wort to the boil you will get the full 7.7 kg of grain in the pipe which with a bit of stirring should get you into the mid 80's OG and that is without candy syrup or DME or similar.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:28 pm

Dicko wrote:And if you steep the crystals and add that liquor / wort to the boil you will get the full 7.7 kg of grain in the pipe which with a bit of stirring should get you into the mid 80's OG and that is without candy syrup or DME or similar.

:cheers:

We're all quite impressed with you on this Dicko! :beerbang:

Unread postby Dalawhisky » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:57 pm

When I making whisky wort with my 20 liter braumeister I'm using 8 kilo malt.
I got sg1.080 with some boiling.
Dalawhisky

Return to Potentials owners