Another potential 10L owner

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Another potential 10L owner

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi,

Question for Niels... I read with interest your pending decision to scale back from your 50L BM to the 10L model if it's suitable. I almost always do 10L brews myself, so I'm familiar with the positives of small batch brewing... I'm very close to making the decision to invest in a BM, but having the 10L version as an option has thrown a spanner in the works. In the big scheme of things, it won't be that much cheaper than a 20L, and cost is not really the concern to me. That said, if I'm going to spend $2000 or $2500 on my BM, I suppose having the option to brew a bigger batch from time to time wouldn't be a bad thing.

So my question is... having used the new 10L version (and hopefully having some knowledge about the 10L shorter malt pipe option for the 20L version), would you say there are any advantages over getting the 10L over the 20L with the short malt pipe to do small batches? I'm trying to figure out what Spiedel's motivation for the 10L was i.e. it produces a better end product for small batches (being specifically designed for that volume), or if it's purely a space saving thing, while at the same time being a little bit easier on the wallet.

Using the 80/20 rule, I really should just wait until the 10L comes out, because that's the volume I'll be using either for most of the time, but I just can't look past having the versatility of the 20L at my disposal should I need it.

There's not a lot of info anywhere on the net about people's experience with the 20L short malt pipe option, so I'm really keen to hear from anyone using this configuration regularly. Are there any hoops to jump through vs just using it for 20L volumes? Do recipes scale up well from the short pipe to full volume? Other comments/concerns?

Thanks,
Steve
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Another potential 10L owner

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Hmmm.... just thinking about the cost component of the decision a bit more. Let's say for argument's sake a 10L ends up selling for [AU] $2000 (I had a very rough ballpark estimate from a retailer yesterday), and on the other hand I have $2600 for the 20L plus $150 for the short pipe, we are talking a difference in the order of $750 give or take. I suppose that's not really an insignificant difference, and it would buy me a few accessories that I've been wanting (grain mill etc).

Anyway, I'm going off topic, cost is not the primary concern so I still am more interested to keep this thread focused on the technical differences between the 2 options. If I were to get the 20L version, I think I'd still splash out on the grain mill etc to ensure I'm getting the best out of my BM.

Any cost savings up front really just make it easier to factor in the hidden costs of what the wife is asking for in return for her "approval" of my BM purchase ;-)
stevodevo

Unread postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:52 pm

I suppose Niels is pretty busy with his 2 jobs, so I'll make an effort to answer some questions.

I don't think Niels is actually downsizing. He'll have both the 50l and 10l versions.

The main advantage of the 10l is the portability. It's easy to move around and use pretty much anywhere. You can brew a 10l batch on the 20l, but it's still more unwieldy.

Anyway, I think you're right. It's pretty much a space saving, money saving and possibly back saving option. If you have the space, the money and don't plan on moving around a lot to brew in different places, I'd say go for the 20l.

BTW, the 20l isn't exactly huge, but neither am I.
Elderberry

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:04 pm

I totally forgot about this topic, sorry.

Elderberry really sums it up pretty nice. If you can afford the BM20 + short malt pipe AND you have the space I would go for that solution as it is a bit more flexible than a BM10.

I will keep my BM50 for now (as we will replace the 3V system of the "brew club" with this Braumeister), but I will go 100% on a BM10 for my personal brews. I do like the very small footprint so I can brew in the kitchen while attending to my daily tasks. Also, 10 litres is enough for my personal consumption and the few friends that dare to drink my brews.

Since the BM10 units will arrive next week I've been thinking about brewing with it again. A few days back I realized I can easily fit 2 10 L brews in a day: simply pour the wort in a 15 L pot after the first mash and start the boiling on the stove while prepping the BM10 for second full brew. It takes a little longer, but I can brew 2 totally different beers on the same day.

Also, I would recommend a grain mill either way. You can control the crush and avoid wort fountains.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby beerlover1983 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:02 pm

I must say i am torn myself im ready to push the button on a 20ltr bm with the small malt pipe.I guess there would be no need for extras with the 10ltr maybe a new tap.But i doubt insulation hop filter and hood would be needed for the 10ltr model.

I think its price is the issue for me as its close to the price of a 20ltr model.But as a brewer who lives in a flat im torn.
beerlover1983

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:53 am

beerlover1983 wrote:I must say i am torn myself im ready to push the button on a 20ltr bm with the small malt pipe.I guess there would be no need for extras with the 10ltr maybe a new tap.But i doubt insulation hop filter and hood would be needed for the 10ltr model.

I think its price is the issue for me as its close to the price of a 20ltr model.But as a brewer who lives in a flat im torn.

What are you brewing with now? If you have room to store your old kit, you can brew most often on the 10l and, on the rare occasion you want to brew more, you break out the old gear. That was partially my justification for getting a Braumeister to begin with. I almost never brew "big" beers, but if I decide to do so, I can still use my old gear.
Elderberry

Unread postby beerlover1983 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 am

Elderberry wrote:
beerlover1983 wrote:I must say i am torn myself im ready to push the button on a 20ltr bm with the small malt pipe.I guess there would be no need for extras with the 10ltr maybe a new tap.But i doubt insulation hop filter and hood would be needed for the 10ltr model.

What are you brewing with now? If you have room to store your old kit, you can brew most often on the 10l and, on the rare occasion you want to brew more, you break out the old gear. That was partially my justification for getting a Braumeister to begin with. I almost never brew "big" beers, but if I decide to do so, I can still use my old gear.

Well i did brew 3v but had to brew at parents house which meant finding time to brew.

I then tried 3v in my flat which was good but hard work with kids etc.Then moved to biab which has been good.Ive dobe some great beers but it lacks in areas for me.Currenty using a 10gallon brewtech pot on a 3kw induction burner.
beerlover1983

Unread postby stevodevo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:26 am

beerlover1983 wrote:But i doubt insulation hop filter and hood would be needed for the 10ltr model.

Niels may be able to comment on this one better, having used the 10L model, but just bear in mind the specs for the 10L on the Speidel website say it has a 1000W element. So it's not like you're necessarily going to get a stronger boil with less volume. Irina also told me that the ramp up times for the 10L and 20L models are exactly the same.

Irina also said pretty much the same as has been said above, that the smaller model is all about ease of handling and space constraints.

Thanks for all the input and warm welcomes. I'm VERY pleased to say I should be taking delivery of my shiny new 20L BM and 10L malt pipe tomorrow or early next week if I miss the postman. Is "I have to be home to take delivery of my new Braumeister" an acceptable excuse to take the day off work???
stevodevo

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Congratulations. I'm waiting to brew my first. Heck, I've had my 20L BM since mid-Nov and am finally ready to use it.

There is a fellow brewer here on BrauMeisters that lives close by.. he, at one time, offered to come up to help with the first brew. Hint, Hint, Hint..

I need to get a few more things ready.. like a fermentation chamber, etc before I'm fully ready.. but, I'm T H A T close.

Nesto... you listening? :lol: :lol: :beerbang:
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:13 pm

HbgBill wrote:Congratulations. I'm waiting to brew my first. Heck, I've had my 20L BM since mid-Nov and am finally ready to use it.

There is a fellow brewer here on BrauMeisters that lives close by.. he, at one time, offered to come up to help with the first brew. Hint, Hint, Hint..

I need to get a few more things ready.. like a fermentation chamber, etc before I'm fully ready.. but, I'm T H A T close.

Nesto... you listening? :lol: :lol: :beerbang:

Let me know when it happens - I'll make it if I can

Unread postby stevodevo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:40 am

Well it's official, my shiny new toy was delivered today. Thanks to everyone who helped with the decision making process :beer:
stevodevo

Return to Potentials owners