Only Braumeister or Starterset?

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Only Braumeister or Starterset?

Unread postby Bortx » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:34 pm

Hello,

I'm going to buy a Braumeister 20L but I don't know what to do:

A) Buy a starter set with Brau 20L + chiller + mill + fermenter + airlock +....

B) Buy only the Brau 20L and after buy the other things in other shop

Maybe with the second option I can buy a the same or better chiller and mill by less money, I don´t know. What do you think?
(I'm sure I'm not going to buy a roll-mill because are too expensive)
Bortx

Re: Only Braumeister or Starterset?

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Bortx

I had no choice as only the starter kit was available here in South Africa (bought the 50l). You definitely need a chiller, mill and fermenter. So if you don't have these then the starter kit is probably the way to go (I would definitely add the insulation jacket). If you have the other items or can source them cheaper (noting that the chiller size needs to fit the BM) then unit only.

Cheers :cheers:
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:49 pm

You'll need all these items, but you don't need them all from Speidel.

Speidel makes some nice fermenters, but they come with a price. There are some budget options for sure! You can use a plastic bucket with lid of about €8~€10.

I would suggest buying a roller mill from the start. You can have a decent roller mill for about €90.

The chiller can be the one from Speidel, but you might be able to make a copper one for less money. Going for a plate chiller will probably set you back some extra € for a pump too.

Besides the fermenter with airlock and the mill you'll need a siphon (can be as simple as a stainless steel pipe with a length of silicon hose) and some cleaning/sanitation products.

A hydrometer with a test jar will cist you about €15.

You're probably bottling your beers, so within a few weeks after your first brew you'll need a bottle capper (go for a table version) too.

In the long run you might consider a temperature controlled fermentation chamber (old fridge with controller) if you want to brew in the summer.

I probably forgot something, but these are the basic things that come to mind.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Bortx » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'll buy the starter kit. I have 1/2 liter EZ cap bottles and hydrometer.
The problem now is that I have discovered the Braumeister 10L and I'm in doubt :? . This is the never ending story. I think that it could be a good idea to do only 10L each time, but the price is not the half of the 20L :x
I have to take a decision soon
Bortx

Unread postby niels » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:45 pm

Where are you from?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby paddye » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Have you brewed before?

I started with a starter set and did a few kits before moving to extract then biab and finally a BM. Like Niels said you need all that stuff anyway so it's not a waste. If you start with a kit and your first beers turn out horrible you know you need to look at your sanitary precautions.

If you decide you still want to go all grain from day one get a BM plus starter. If your hb shop doesn't crush for you you will need a mill.
paddye

Unread postby Bortx » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:59 pm

niels wrote:Where are you from?

- Niels

I'm from Basque Country

paddye wrote:Have you brewed before?

I started with a starter set and did a few kits before moving to extract then biab and finally a BM. Like Niels said you need all that stuff anyway so it's not a waste. If you start with a kit and your first beers turn out horrible you know you need to look at your sanitary precautions.

If you decide you still want to go all grain from day one get a BM plus starter. If your hb shop doesn't crush for you you will need a mill.

I've brewed twice with liquid extract. So I have a bottle capper, 1/2l bottles with "hermetic cap" (32 bottles at now), airlock, hydrometer and a fermenter.
I like the Braumeister option because it doesn´t need a lot of space because I want to brew in the kitchen.
Bortx

Unread postby Jake99 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:53 pm

One thing to consider to buy is a refractometer instead of a hydrometer,the main reason (for me)is less loss of wort.Taking a sample is fast en hardly no loss of wort.
A refractometer can be expensive !

Cheers

Jan
Jake99

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:06 am

Jake99 wrote:One thing to consider to buy is a refractometer instead of a hydrometer,the main reason (for me)is less loss of wort.Taking a sample is fast en hardly no loss of wort.
A refractometer can be expensive !

Cheers

Jan

+1 I love my digital one. Auto temp compensating...
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Refract ... 007Z4IN58/

Model: 20 litres

Return to Potentials owners