20 vs. 50, did you regret the size you chose?

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

RE: 20 vs. 50, did you regret the size you chose?

Unread postby Dan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:18 pm

phlat wrote:... If the electric was cut, I'm assuming it would be a bit of a disaster, only recovered by manual operation from that point?

My power went out a few times last month, and when it came back on the BM asked if I wanted to resume or quit! So I resumed of course.
Unfortunately it never beeped for the hop additions. A little inconvenient, but at least I didn't have to re programme to start from where I could only guess it stopped.
Dan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Dan wrote:
phlat wrote:... If the electric was cut, I'm assuming it would be a bit of a disaster, only recovered by manual operation from that point?

My power went out a few times last month, and when it came back on the BM asked if I wanted to resume or quit! So I resumed of course.
Unfortunately it never beeped for the hop additions. A little inconvenient, but at least I didn't have to re programme to start from where I could only guess it stopped.

That is handy to know Dan, I am always worried if the power goes out while I am brewing.
I thought the way that phlat did above....that it would be a manual procedure from the cut off point, at a guess.:beer:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Beerkench » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:29 pm

I would buy a 50L with the 25L pipe if I could go back in time. I would do my own recipes with the 25L pipe first, then repeat the good ones with the 50L.
Last edited by Beerkench on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:09 pm

I have a 50L BM and to be honest the lift out of the kettle was a struggle. Im borrowing a lifting hoist from work for brew day, I just hope the sheds roof can take the weight!! But moving from a 5 Gallon system to a 50 L system, made it more of a chore than fun!!
I brew less because of the volume so I dont need to. I have the 25 malt pipe too but I never use it!!
Brewing: Not much glamour but plenty of Glory!
ChilliMayne

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Beerkench wrote:I would do my own recipes with the 25L pipe first, then repeat the good ones with the 50L.

That's how I use mine.

ChilliMayne wrote:I have a 50L BM and to be honest the lift out of the kettle was a struggle. Im borrowing a lifting hoist from work for brew day, I just hope the sheds roof can take the weight!! But moving from a 5 Gallon system to a 50 L system, made it more of a chore than fun!!
I brew less because of the volume so I dont need to. I have the 25 malt pipe too but I never use it!!

If the hoist works, then I'm sure you'll find it less of a chore. I couldn't brew with the 50L malt pipe without the hoist for fear of bringing on lower back problems!
Last edited by BrauTim on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Twonky » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:33 pm

I too have a 50l and indeed lifting the full malt pipe can be a bit of a hoist, it is tough with one arm, using the other to position the stirrup...
And usually I'ld ask my daughter to position the stirrup while I lift the pipe, but viewing some clips, I noticed that one owner placed the stirrup on the edge and maneuvered the pipe through it and then rotated 45 degrees and placed it on the stirrup...

Sometimes a solution to a problem can be just that simple ;-)

Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Unread postby paddye » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:32 pm

going for the 50L version.
paddye

Unread postby niels » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 am

paddye wrote:going for the 50L version.

Good choice ;)

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby bhe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:47 am

I was going for the 50 model, but changed my mind when i put the order.
The reason i changed my mind was that i'm afraid that the malt pipe would be quite heavy with the 50 model, and i really would like to be able to brew on my own without asking my wife for help.
Another thing that helped the decision was that the 16A fuse needed would limit me to brew in certain places of my house (kitchen or washing room) since most rooms have 10A fuses.

I also really like to brew, so i don't mind doing it a bit more often.
bhe

Unread postby paddye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 pm

I have been doing biab and carrying 2x20l buckets up two flights of stairs in my mates house without any problem so I figured this cant be that bad. if it turns out too mutch I can always put a pulley in the ceiling. I got the short pipe too so I can play with smaller batches while I perfect the recipe. cant wait for it to arrive, neither can my new 5 y.o. brew mate (obviously she wont be near the hot stuff).
paddye

Re: 20 vs. 50, did you regret the size you chose?

Unread postby boristhespie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:41 pm

BrauTim wrote:The 50BM comes with a commando socket in the UK and I just stick a 13 amp 3 pin plug on it and it works fine, the plug gets a little warm but not hot, seems fine :rolleyes:

So you have chopped off the commando and it works okay on normal electrics? This is what is putting me off buying 50ltr

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
boristhespie

Unread postby mashy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:53 pm

It is right on the edge, make sure you are straight on to the a good ring main ans not a spur.

......and certainly no miles of extension.
mashy

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:02 pm

I know that it's a bit late for this input, but I have a 20L and have never regretted not getting the 50L.

I like to brew and to drink different types of beer and think that I'd struggle to get through 50L batches.

In an ideal world though I would really like another BM 20L to go with the one that I have, so that I could brew two different brews at the same time.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby LMoerkens » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 pm

I never regretted the 20L, the batch is just fine to put in a corny keg or bottle and it is easy to handle. If I want a larger batch I always can do two batches in succession which only adds about 2.5 hours to the 4.5-5 hour brew day, but I never got to that point. Plus I like the variety of my stock based on the 20L. Guess when you drink a lot, or have a lot of friend coming by for your superior beer that a 50L would be better :D

Cheers, :beer:
LMoerkens

Unread postby mashy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 pm

+1 I really like the 20l size. Easy to handle. I don't drink a huge amount, normally a stock of about 12 crates bottled... when 3 become free (36 bottles) I put another brew on.

I don't I want or need a 50 - it would perhaps be more of a hindrance than a benefit. Certainly don't want a gen2.
mashy

PreviousNext

Return to Potentials owners