20 vs. 50, did you regret the size you chose?

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

20 vs. 50, did you regret the size you chose?

Unread postby phlat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi. I read a lot about the Braumeister and know the pro's and con's of each of the 20 & 50 litre versions. Still, the choice remains a difficult one. I think I could gain some more insight if there were someone who had done all the research, bought, but then the reality of the situation came into play and now wish they'd made a different choice. Anyone regretted their choice of size, and why?

Personally, I like the manageability of the 20l and the fact that you can try out more beers, but I fear I don't have the time to invest in only 20l each brew day.
phlat

RE: 20 vs. 50, did you regret the size you chose?

Unread postby niels » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:18 pm

After a long time of reading and thinking I went for the 50l with the short malt pipe (25l). My main motivation was the versatility of this setup: I'm able to brew from +-20l to +-60l depending on the gravity. The main downside is the price. Not only do you have to pay more for the BM, but the short malt pipe adds extra to the cost. The 20l does handle better because of its smaller size, so that's a big pro for the smallest model.

I know of one guy in the US who sold his 50l BM because the handling was a bit too much. I don't think he was using the short malt pipe, though.

If I ever get tired of pulling the 50l malt pipe I can always sell mine and buy a 20l instead without spending extra money. The resell value of a BM is pretty high!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:17 pm

The only penalty that I can think of that comes with the 50BM is the extra weight and size when maneuvering for cleaning, personally I don't find it a problem but I can see that the 20BM would be much easier.

I also have the short malt pipe for mine, so I have the choice of brew sizes.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 pm

I thought long and hard before I decided on the 20 litre model.
My concern was lifting the equipment for cleaning and not really wanting to brew 50 litres of beer.
I graduated to the BM from a large Stainless Steel 3v Herms system which was capable of up to 60 litres but I found myself brewing more 20 litre batches of late.
Lifting all the equipment for cleaning was the main reason at the time for me even considering a BM.
When the BM arrived and I did my first brew I could not believe how easy my brew day had become. My clean up time with the old system was a good hour where the BM is only minutes and no busting my back lifting heavy pots.

I have noticed in Aus a lot of 20 litre models for sale due to the owner wanting to upgrade to the 50. There does not appear to be many second hand 50's for sale.

In the end it is what ever suits your needs and I think that most people spending that kind of money will give it a lot of thought first.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:44 am

Actually - subsequent to the mash, the malt pipe is fairly heavy to lift even on a 20L BM.

To lift a malt pipe post-mash on 50L - does it require two people or some kind of hoisting mechanism?

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:10 pm

I use a manual hoist for lifting the short and long maltpipe. I've made a post about it here......Show us yer hoist
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:37 am

i have the 20L and lift the pipe manually. to any new users trying to lift the malt pipe, the less liquid the pipe the lighter it is! so, once the pump is off let it drain for a couple minutes, then lift it a little bit at a time. it's easy enough to hoist a few cm, let the wort drain down a little, lift a few cm, drain, get it 1/3 or 1/2 way up and then before your arms get too tired give it one final hoick up onto the support bar. this works for me much better than yanking it up all at once
dinnerstick

Unread postby Batz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 am

I bought the 50lt, brew 20lt or 50lt it takes the same time. I have been brewing for a long time and believe I can brew good beer every brew, so why not brew 50lt? The malt pipe lifting I do with a simple rope winch, way too easy.

I have bought a 20lt malt pipe for special beers and as yet never used it.

I would hate to buy a 20lt and regret it later, and I know a couple of BM owners who have done this.

It depends on your own needs of course, I work away from home a bit so when I have a chance to brew I need to take advantage of it.

Did I tell you how good my Saison turned out?

Batz
Last edited by Batz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby niels » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 am

Batz wrote:I have bought a 20lt malt pipe for special beers and as yet never used it.

Batz, the short malt pipe is meant for 25l brews :)

So you have a 20l model and a 50l model with an optional malt pipe for 25l.

Sorry, I just wanted to make sure this doesn't confused potential owners!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Batz wrote:

Batz

If it is that good Batz you better bring me a bottle when you come in March. :D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Dicko wrote:
Batz wrote:

Batz

I've had a call for work Dicko, it won't be happening in March now.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:52 pm

Batz wrote:
Dicko wrote:
Batz wrote:

Batz

I've had a call for work Dicko, it won't be happening in March now.

Always welcome mate.....provided I am not working :lol:
Dicko

Unread postby phlat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. Seems there is a lean towards the 50. I guess the risk of regretting the purchase of a 50, is less than the risk of regretting the purchase of a 20. And putting up a simple winch shouldn't be too tough. I don't think I'm ready to buy yet, but at least I know what I'm keeping my eye on now.

There is comment about amp protection with the 50. Did the electrics of the 50 cause any issue for anyone, or is it a fairly simple plug and play (normally)? I'm assuming it comes with a euro style plug? I see it's 3200W and I do often run a 3000W heater, so I'm hoping I don't need to do anything particular. If the electric was cut, I'm assuming it would be a bit of a disaster, only recovered by manual operation from that point?
phlat

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:06 pm

In Aus the standard household power outlet is only 10 amp, if you use a 50l BM in Aus you will need to have a 15 amp power supply outlet wired in and fitted to your brew area.
I can't comment on other countries...
Dicko

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 pm

The 50BM comes with a commando socket in the UK and I just stick a 13 amp 3 pin plug on it and it works fine, the plug gets a little warm but not hot, seems fine :rolleyes:
BrauTim

Next

Return to Potentials owners