Looking at the 50L a few queries.

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Looking at the 50L a few queries.

Unread postby megs8888 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:01 am

Hi. I will be getting back into brewing next year and will probably take the plunge on a 50L BM I have a few questions if you would be so kind.

1. When you see a recipe you like on beersmith or google how do you calculate how much of the ingredients you need. I find that part confusing as not everyone has a BM. Is there a simple guide somewhere to work this out for each recipe?

2. I saw somewhere the is a new model coming out should I wait as I'm looking to buy in January 2015.

3. What are the must haves with the BM. I am thinking at this stage a jacket and a hood.

4. I want to use the best and quickest method to cool the wort without wasting excess water anyone have any ideas on this. I would like to get the best option available on the market.

5. I will also get the 20L malt pipe which I take allows me to make smaller batches? How do we calculate for 20L batches.

6. With the 50 and 20L do you end up with that amount of wort?

7. Can the BM make all types of beer?
Many thanks for your assistance.

Wayne.
megs8888

Re: Looking at the 50L a few queries.

Unread postby royco » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Wayne you won't go wrong with a BM50.
1. Just plug your recipe into BS. BM is a sophisticated BIAB system so no big changes, just a few tweaks which you can learn from this wonderful forum.
2. If you can wait get the new model, but the current model is great.
3. Jacket, definitely, or use a sleeping bag and a stretchy cord. Hood yes, but use a $10 ss bowl unless you have cash to burn.
4. Some options. CF chiller very good but a pain to clean. Immersion chiller, BM or homemade, pretty good. Therminator with IC chiller and Thrumometer excellent.
Also investigate No-Chill. Highly controversial but widely used, especially in Australia. I have used it to good effect.
5. Note it is a 25L pipe. No difference in method; just plug a 25L batch into BS.

** Why does everyone (me included) get confused with this? Speidel should make it more clear.

6. Yes
7. Yes

Happy brewing.

Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:49 pm

megs8888 wrote:Hi. I will be getting back into brewing next year and will probably take the plunge on a 50L BM I have a few questions if you would be so kind.

1. When you see a recipe you like on beersmith or google how do you calculate how much of the ingredients you need. I find that part confusing as not everyone has a BM. Is there a simple guide somewhere to work this out for each recipe?

2. I saw somewhere the is a new model coming out should I wait as I'm looking to buy in January 2015.

3. What are the must haves with the BM. I am thinking at this stage a jacket and a hood.

4. I want to use the best and quickest method to cool the wort without wasting excess water anyone have any ideas on this. I would like to get the best option available on the market.

5. I will also get the 20L malt pipe which I take allows me to make smaller batches? How do we calculate for 20L batches.

6. With the 50 and 20L do you end up with that amount of wort?

7. Can the BM make all types of beer?
Many thanks for your assistance.

Wayne.

1/ You can simply start by scaling the recipe to volume and change the malt bill based on the mash efficiency. I take 75~78% as the number for mash efficiency for the BM.

2/ The new model comes out in January, but delivery time might depend on your location. Maybe you can make some nice deals if you buy the current model now.

3/ The BM is complete out of the box, but I noticed a better boil and ramp up times (although marginally) with a home made jacket (camping mat). The hood is rather expensive, but I like it as it makes it easier for me to drive the steam out.

4/ I like using a immersion chiller. Tap water (or rain water if you have a tank) first and a pump in an ice bath for the last few degrees.

5/ The small malt pipe is for 25 L batches! You just scale the recipe down (divide by 2). On a home brewers scale this is perfectly doable.

6/ Depending on the recipe you can end up with more than 50 (or 20) litres of wort. E.g. the 50 l can hold about 70 litres of liquid, so after mashing you can sparge as you like or water down before boiling.

7/ The BM can make all kinds of beer, but if you're into heavy beers and you don't want to add sugars you'll have to use some techniques that are found on the forum.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby megs8888 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Ok thanks so in relation to recipes if it's a 5 gallon recipe I just multiply by 2.5 to get close to 50 Litres?

I will make a lid as I've seen that using ss bowl for $10 with a wood handle.

Now the decision is to wait or buy before new model comes out, I'm in Australia so might take a while to get here. But as stated might get a cheaper one old model in the sales after Xmas.
megs8888

Unread postby royco » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:56 am

You can scale as you said or just plug the recipe into Beersmith and it will scale for you.

Lid: think before adding a handle as it may interfere with using the lid as a funnel for grain. Just use a cloth or gloves and beware the steam as you lift!
royco

Unread postby zoigl » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:51 pm

A crane, or lifting device for the malt tube is a great safety measure. I have installed an electric winch (from hebay about $100) but a small block and tackle like a main sheet set up for a small sailing dinghy would be suitable as well.

I made a small 4 castor wheel trolley for my conical fermenter which helps me move the fermenter around and load into my fermenting fridge, but you could move your wort around with a pump. I like using gravity to drop the wort directly into the fermenter from the BM.

I use a commercial catering stainless steel tea trolley to sit my BM on, so I can move the whole lot out of the way when not in use. :cheers:
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
zoigl

Unread postby megs8888 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:56 am

I have a Saico dual level wine fridge which I am going to use as a fermentor for the wort I will put the BM higher I think and then pump the wort to it. I'm just hoping the fridge will work as a fermentor. It's dual zone.

Top part of it is 4 degrees to 9

Bottom part is 8 - 14

I don't really want to buy another fridge as I'm building a keezer and will have to buy a chest freezer.

Do you think this will work.

I was thinking for heat that I use a stc1000 connected to it with a cheap hair dryer for heat if needed in winter.

http://www.cnsicao.com/product_view.asp?id=111

I will look at a winch the only problem is I don't have a joist in the garage to hook it to mmmmm. I'll have to think about that.
megs8888

Unread postby zoigl » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:54 am

I would not use a hair dryer as a heat source, potential problems there. I have reptile mat from a pet shop but have never used it.Fermenting wort creates it own heat.
There is a heating belt available as well from brewing supply shops, but there is a danger that the heat belt wound around the fermenter could create localized hot spots and cause other problems like off flavours etc. Try placing the reptile mat on the wall of your fridge, clip it or prop up, keeping a distance from the fermenter and that should overcome this problem.
You don't say where you are and therefore I don't know what your ambient temperatures are.
In Sunny South Australia my unheated brewing area might get down to 7 c perhaps in midwinter.
Will you be brewing lagers or ales?
I only brew ales so my fermenter is set so the wort is a constant 17 or 18c. I use a thermowell and a device similar to the STC100 to measure the wort temp.
I cold condition my ales at serving temperatures for 4 weeks usually 6 to 10 deg c depending on the time of the year.
Lagers will need a cooler temperature especially to ferment, it's best to look at the type of yeast that you plan to use and work around their recommended temperatures. Check the yeast manufacture web pages for easy reference.
If space is a problem you might consider making a device such as used for lifting engines from cars, it could be mobile and very light as you are only lifting around 40 kgs
I use an immersion chiller with a pump to recirculate the wort from the tap back into the BM creating a whirlpool. Without the pump, cthe chiller take around 45 - 50 minutes to reach pitching temp, recirculating the wort cuts this time to about 15 to 20 minutes. You could try whirlpooling with a paddle, but that leaves the wort open to infections. I found a cheap ss tray as used in commercial Asian Kitchens for a lid while whirlpooling, I cut a slot in this for the hot/cold hoses.
zoigl

Unread postby megs8888 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:23 am

zoigl wrote:I would not use a hair dryer as a heat source, potential problems there. I have reptile mat from a pet shop but have never used it.Fermenting wort creates it own heat.
There is a heating belt available as well from brewing supply shops, but there is a danger that the heat belt wound around the fermenter could create localized hot spots and cause other problems like off flavours etc. Try placing the reptile mat on the wall of your fridge, clip it or prop up, keeping a distance from the fermenter and that should overcome this problem.
You don't say where you are and therefore I don't know what your ambient temperatures are.
In Sunny South Australia my unheated brewing area might get down to 7 c perhaps in midwinter.
Will you be brewing lagers or ales?
I only brew ales so my fermenter is set so the wort is a constant 17 or 18c. I use a thermowell and a device similar to the STC100 to measure the wort temp.
I cold condition my ales at serving temperatures for 4 weeks usually 6 to 10 deg c depending on the time of the year.
Lagers will need a cooler temperature especially to ferment, it's best to look at the type of yeast that you plan to use and work around their recommended temperatures. Check the yeast manufacture web pages for easy reference.
If space is a problem you might consider making a device such as used for lifting engines from cars, it could be mobile and very light as you are only lifting around 40 kgs
I use an immersion chiller with a pump to recirculate the wort from the tap back into the BM creating a whirlpool. Without the pump, cthe chiller take around 45 - 50 minutes to reach pitching temp, recirculating the wort cuts this time to about 15 to 20 minutes. You could try whirlpooling with a paddle, but that leaves the wort open to infections. I found a cheap ss tray as used in commercial Asian Kitchens for a lid while whirlpooling, I cut a slot in this for the hot/cold hoses.

Sorry I'm in Melbourne East so temps similar to SA. I will start with Ales and Stouts I think, however i do like pilsner and lager and would like to do that maybe later. I could always use the keezer to cold crash or not?

I'm going to see if I can get someone to bypass the thermostat on the wine fridge then might be able to utilise it better?

It is a compressor wine fridge which I've heard is ok to use.

I'll look at the heat belt option then thanks for that advice.

I should not have to much trouble with temps in summer at least.
megs8888

Unread postby zoigl » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:34 am

Megs you have a couple of fantastic resources in your back yard. Keg King and Grain and Grape. I get a lot of my supplies from Keg King on overnight, check out his catalogue for the temperature controllers, They are wired and ready to go, just plug your fridge in one side and the other side goes to the wall socket. Unless you enjoy playing with electricity and really want an STC 1000 and save a few bucks. He has a youtube video showing you how to set the controller up. Once set, it is as easy as.
zoigl

Unread postby megs8888 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:14 am

Awesome I'll check it out. Thanks.
megs8888

Unread postby megs8888 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 am

Ordered the 50L BM new version Aswell with 10% off. Very happy will pick up after Xmas, then the fun begins.
megs8888

Return to Potentials owners