Doggone-it!

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Doggone-it!

Unread postby redwing_al » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:16 am

Hi Everyone... I think I've almost reached my limit as to how much I'm willing to research and item before I commit to purchasing it. I have went back and forth looking at different electric systems and I appear to be stuck between Braumeister and the e-BIAB Brew Boss (http://www.brew-boss.com/).

I am leaning toward the 20l BM. I simply love the simplicity and the ability to run a lean operation from powering up to cleaning. I see a bit more attention to detail with the Brew Boss since there are fittings and hoses that need attention; however, the sofware integration of the BrewBoss is, well, it's BOSS! So I'm conflicted.. Can those of you who are owners or potential owners please share your thought process on making this kind of investment?

One question I have is about the power of the heating element. Is it powerful enough to quickly raise mash and boil temps and will it maintain temps for the duration of time required for boil and mash? seems like it may be a little under powered? I dont know... In any case, please share your experience and knowledge. I'm ready to deep dive into autmation in my brewing process!

cheers!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Re: Doggone-it!

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:17 am

Watching the Brew boss video it looks way too messy for me.
Tipsy

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:27 am

redwing_al wrote:Hi Everyone... I think I've almost reached my limit as to how much I'm willing to research and item before I commit to purchasing it. I have went back and forth looking at different electric systems and I appear to be stuck between Braumeister and the e-BIAB Brew Boss (http://www.brew-boss.com/).

I am leaning toward the 20l BM. I simply love the simplicity and the ability to run a lean operation from powering up to cleaning. I see a bit more attention to detail with the Brew Boss since there are fittings and hoses that need attention; however, the sofware integration of the BrewBoss is, well, it's BOSS! So I'm conflicted.. Can those of you who are owners or potential owners please share your thought process on making this kind of investment?

One question I have is about the power of the heating element. Is it powerful enough to quickly raise mash and boil temps and will it maintain temps for the duration of time required for boil and mash? seems like it may be a little under powered? I dont know... In any case, please share your experience and knowledge. I'm ready to deep dive into autmation in my brewing process!

cheers!

You basically have the equation. BM seems a leaner process. At least a few of us wish the BM could integrate with an iPad or computer like the Brew Boss does. Just taking a quick look, I'd say the BM is better engineered - having to get trivets to put under the kettle on seems a little DIY. Not that's there anything wrong with that... If I'm reading correctly, you need both 120 and 220 supply for some configurations?

A 3500 or 5500W heater does sound nice, but you will need to make sure you get a 30A circuit. I have the 20l model. I find mash temp scales at about 1C per minute. It takes about 20-25 minutes to get from room temp to a 40C mash. And about 25-30 minutes to get from mash out (77C) to boil. We all make sure to set our boil to 102C when we program our brew day. You'll find most of us get good (but not great) boils on the BM20 with its 2000W heater. Most of us use a thermal jacket and some of us have bought the BM hood or done DIY hoods to help the boil. I don't think anyone has had DMS or hop utilization issues.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby jdykes » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Obviously since I own a 20L Braumeister, I'm going to be biased.

Since I brew almost every week, I'm going to be very, very biased.

My son and I brewed yesterday (10NOV), while we were washing out the Braumeister, I said - "Even if the Blichmann BrewEasy was $500 less than the Braumeister, I would still buy the Braumeister." You have to use it to truly appreciate how it works. I've, of course, not brewed on the Brew-Boss. Guy has a great idea - and lots of bells and whistles, but it is still a bit clunky (to me). Hoses, controllers, pumps, etc, etc. And while some might think a full computerized display is amazing, I don't see the value. When I did some brewing in Bamberg, Germany - we used 2 analog temperature gauges and 2 steam valves. I'm not sure what a fancy talking system gets you.... The Braumeister does step mashing all day - and it's an elegant solution from a proven company.

Dunno - I'm biased. Having a self contained unit that does step mashing in the size of a large coffee pot that sits on my kitchen counter is impossible to beat. Impossible to beat. Clean up in - literally - minutes.

You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers!
jdykes

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:17 pm

jd.. it sounds like you are biased.. am I guessing correctly? :beerbang: :beerbang:
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 am

i agree with nesto, the boil is fine (thermal jacket required). it's not a ferocious boil but it is a rolling boil, there are no DMS issues. I think we all get more or less similar temp ramping times, which I have never thought of as being an issue. I am not one to tell anyone else what toys you should and shouldn't have, but I don't see the point of having your mashing and boiling controlled from afar. Are you planning on starting the mash from the airport before boarding? Do the mash, make the wort, and get on to fermenting, that's where the beer is made, as my grandmother famously used to say (she definitely never said that). The BM makes your wort nice and easily, is more than programmable enough, and makes a very nice dinner for your yeast. I'm guessing the other system does as well, i've never seen one in the flesh. That wasn't meant to sound ranty at all so if it did, please inhale helium and read again out loud.
dinnerstick

Unread postby OLDMANDAN » Mon May 25, 2015 3:04 am

I like the Braumeister but after all of the horror stories about units damaged during shipping, I'm not sure it's a good purchase. The Brew Boss is made in the U.S. and has a lot better chance of arriving in usable condition. It sounds like Speidel doesn't take shipping issues seriously even if they do have good customer service after bad shipping experiences. If I spend $2000 on a unit I don't want to have to go through a nightmare dealing with damage problems. It doesn't seem like improved packaging would be a big challenge for a company that really cared.
OLDMANDAN

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 am

My guess is that because of the forum, the units that are delivered damaged are overstated. Out of all the units that are despatched each week the vast majority probably arrive safely with a damage rate percentage that would be within industry tolerances.

We as a forum are bound to be a small percentage of BM brewers that exist in total and the majority may not be using the forum to voice their opinions, either good or bad. So as with all things internet, unless there is a surge of complaints about delivery I would take the news with a pinch of salt and just get on and order one.

If it does arrive damaged, please let us know though :)

If I was selecting a new system without prior use of the BM, it would be tempting to go with a cheaper system, however, you can be assured that the BM is a brewers dream for making brew days as smooth as possible, all others seem to have an extra level of complication to them which will involve more setting up, more cleaning and more time and effort.

One great strength about the BM is the fact that it leaves you relatively free to concentrate on recipe's without too much worry that the equipment is going to perform its job or not.

My advice would be to think of your consumption now and in the future and then choose between either a 50L or 20L model. The boil on my 50L model is vigorous at 120m above sea level, with a camping mat jacket and a lid with holes punched into it, I have to slide the lid off slightly to control the boil on mine.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby OLDMANDAN » Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 am

And you may very well be correct. However, were I Speidel, I would have someone on this forum defending my success rate in undamaged deliveries. I am sure they are aware of this forum since it appears to be the only one discussing these units and really the only source of information about the Braumeister other than a few You Tube videos.
OLDMANDAN

Return to Potentials owners