OH BOY..

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

OH BOY..

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Am I now totally conflicted. Why?????

I have placed an order for my BM20 a few weeks ago and haven't heard back.. Is it on the slow boat to that proverbial place or ???

And then... Today? What has now become available?????

Blichmann's Easy Brew... I already have a significant portion of that package.. and it would only cost me $1500 vs what I am outlaying for the BM with all the gadgets..

What to do.. what to do... what to do........ ArGGGGGHHHHHH
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Re: OH BOY..

Unread postby Lylo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Don't be second guessing yourself Bill. BM is the way to go if only for the smaller footprint.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby jdykes » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Ha - interesting.

Before buying the BM, I considered the BrewEasy.

My Braumeister showed up on Saturday, and I've brewed on it twice (Sat and Sun). I couldn't be happier and wouldn't trade for the BrewEasy setup. It is an amazing machine. Having only done 3 extract brews (ever!) and Saturday was my first all grain batch - I nailed my numbers in BrewSmith. That's honestly pretty hard to believe.

I'm sure the Blichmann is a great setup - it has to be; great company, with great equipment, with a great reputation. But to me, the BrewEasy is a professionally made 2 vessel automated system. It can essentially be built with off-the-shelf parts; it's a tried and true design.

But for my situation, being in the military, the Braumeister makes more sense. I need (want!) a 3v system in a small package - and to do this, the German folks at Speidel came up with an amazing concept. The BrewEasy, in comparision, is a LOT of equipment. I brewed two 5 gal batches on my kitchen island this weekend - watching TV, enjoying the air conditioning, etc. Cleaned up in the kitchen sink too. You'd have a hard time doing that with the BrewEasy.

Wouldn't trade the BM for any type of setup....
jdykes

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:12 pm

At this point.. the FAR smaller footprint/heightprint.. is a much bigger detractor for the BE system. One positive is that it can be run on either gas (propane or natural) or 110v or 220v. The propane would be great for taking it to club brew sessions. I'm still invested in the BM.. and will likely continue to lean that way.. I just can't believe it's taking the long to "happen".

BTW.. where are you stationed? My son is in the AF in Germany.. Should be back to the states with family (I hope) mid next year.. We are hoping that's his next station. He has been two tours in Germany.. Part of that has been.. twice in Iraq and once in Afghanistan.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 pm

If only for the reason of all the hoses I would not consider the BBE.

If you have brewed on a 3v system with hoses you would know what a mess of sticky wort you have at the end of a brew session, regardless of how careful you are with disconnecting them.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:29 pm

You are making it easier for me :)
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm

HbgBill wrote:At this point.. the FAR smaller footprint/heightprint.. is a much bigger detractor for the BE system. One positive is that it can be run on either gas (propane or natural) or 110v or 220v. The propane would be great for taking it to club brew sessions. I'm still invested in the BM.. and will likely continue to lean that way.. I just can't believe it's taking the long to "happen".

BTW.. where are you stationed? My son is in the AF in Germany.. Should be back to the states with family (I hope) mid next year.. We are hoping that's his next station. He has been two tours in Germany.. Part of that has been.. twice in Iraq and once in Afghanistan.

I looked into the BE system a bit last year before I decided on the BM. What made it easy was the BE was still pretty much vaporware last year :) so there wasn't much of a decision unless I wanted to wait. Turns out I would have waited a looong time.

Here's my take on it... Blichmann seemed to have made sure modularity was the key design element. Anyone who's made some significant investments in the Tower or Boilmakers can buy the additional components and put together the BrewEasy system. I think this led to some compromise decisions. The pump is external, so you have to have hoses to connect up the unit - more chances to spill, more stuff to clean. They stacked the mash tun over the boil kettle. It looks stable enough, but I'm not sure. And it would mean you'd probably have to use that external pump to transfer wort into your FV.

As far as I can figure out, the 2 systems are almost identical in cost at the 20l size (unless you already have a chunk of Blichmann equipment). I have to admit, I'm always confused looking at Blichmann stuff if there are "options" that you really need - even my BeerGun (which I LOVE), required a bunch of extra stuff to get it working in my setup. The BM50 is ~US$300 more than the BE 20 gal (75l) system.

So the cons for the BE: footprint and height; more mechanically complicated - making sure you setup properly and clean it has to be harder;

Pros for the BE: Blichmann known for good quality; priced well at the larger sizes

Unknowns for the BE: experienced user base (customer feedback on 1st gen system issues); higher gravity brewing might be easier? It's hard to tell how much grist vs. liquor you can get - especially in the 20l (5gal) and 40l (~10gal) systems. On those two, the mash tun you use is smaller than the hot liquor tank. And there's a float switch that will limit how much you can get in.

Is the BoilCoil actually available? (their website says electric "coming soon", but MoreBeer shows you can order it). For anyone considering, note that only the 5 gallon system (20l) comes with a 120V electric option. The larger systems require 240V. I'd be wary of thinking you can get by with 120V - I'd get 240V electric even at the 5 gal size.

Personally, I'd still buy the BM today. It's still an easy decision for me. While I might be an early technology adopter when it comes to cell phones, I'd want to hear from a much larger installed base before I'd consider the BE. Even then, I think I'd find the BM to be a simpler brew day.

Hope your system gets to you soon Bill!

Unread postby suchidog » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:30 am

HbgBill wrote:Am I now totally conflicted. Why?????

I have placed an order for my BM20 a few weeks ago and haven't heard back.. Is it on the slow boat to that proverbial place or ???

I ordered my BM 3 weeks ago. Apparently it left the factory yesterday...... :evil:
suchidog

Unread postby HopSong » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 am

Rubbing salt into my wound :D
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby HopSong » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Speidel was going to ship yesterday.. but, looks like they will ship tomorrow... we'll see. The Germans have got to get it right before they complete anything.. and that's good.

Wonder how long it will take Fed-X to get it here.. what with customs, etc.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Lylo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:50 pm

HbgBill, just wondering why you didn't just pick one up at Morebeer, they seem to have stock.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby HopSong » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Don't know if they do or not.. but, I guess, part of it is sales TAXES
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby jdykes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:34 am

Hey Bill -

I'm stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, MO - or Fort Lost in the Woods as it's known.

Morebeer did have at least one in stock last week.

I ordered last Tuesday and was brewing on Saturday! :beerbang:
jdykes

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:17 pm

OBOY OBOY OBOY... The good news is.. my BM has shipped. The bad news is... It won't be here until the 10th... the good news is.. it HAS SHIPPED :beerbang: :beerbang:
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby niels » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Aaargh... That are going to be 10 long days :(

- Niels
niels
Site Admin