Plug for 20L braumeister

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Plug for 20L braumeister

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 pm

What kind of plug comes as standard with the Braumeister? Does anyone have any pics?
Dr Jacoby

Re: Plug for 20L braumeister

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:59 am

With the 20l I believe it is a standard cable like what is used on a PC or kettle (like this: http://hardware.am/Photo/Products/Acces ... cables.jpg)

I own a 50l and I believe it is different. I ordered mine directly from Ralf at Speidel and so it came with a standard European plug rather than the 3 prong UK plug we have in Ireland.

Perhaps some of the 20l users can confirm that this information is correct.
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby HopSong » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:21 am

I've seen one at Nesto's IIRC. I'm wondering if those of you who have the 20L find the cord getting warm???? It seems the conductors/wires would be small and have a level of resistance that might cut down on the power at the heater end??? I'd guess the conductor should be at least #12 AWG.. I don't know what the conversion would be in other countries.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:44 am

HbgBill wrote:I've seen one at Nesto's IIRC. I'm wondering if those of you who have the 20L find the cord getting warm???? It seems the conductors/wires would be small and have a level of resistance that might cut down on the power at the heater end??? I'd guess the conductor should be at least #12 AWG.. I don't know what the conversion would be in other countries.

bierfest wrote:With the 20l I believe it is a standard cable like what is used on a PC or kettle (like this: http://hardware.am/Photo/Products/Acces ... cables.jpg)

I own a 50l and I believe it is different. I ordered mine directly from Ralf at Speidel and so it came with a standard European plug rather than the 3 prong UK plug we have in Ireland.

Perhaps some of the 20l users can confirm that this information is correct.

This could be so as a computer cable may not be big enough to carry the current for the BM.
I would imagine that a kettle cord would be more suitable.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:46 am

the 3-prong female connector on the cable in bierfest's link is correct anyways, it goes with the recessed male on the BM20, like on many PCs. i specifically check the cable during maximum heating and pump usage, it does not get hot.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:45 am

Here's my original cord...

And here's what HbgBill mentioned I have...
I had an old style dryer outlet (NEMA 10-30) and you just can't find a C13 (note: BM50l is C19) to 10-30 power cord. So I had my electrician friend install a NEMA L6-20P outlet in it's place - and he updated the circuit breaker to 20 amp as well. All that cost just $60. With that, I bought this cord from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093W ... TF8&psc=1#

You'll see the Amazon cord I got is 14AWG (American Wire Gauge - what does the rest of the world use?). 14AWG is fine for up to 15 amp circuits; the BM20 spec is 10 amps. The BM50 spec is 16 amps. It'd probably be fine with 14AWG, but personally I'd seek a 12AWG cord for the BM50 (assuming your house wiring is also 12AWG for the 20 amp circuit you're plugged into). Not sure what it's ships with.

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:55 am

Jette posted some good tech info in this thread too...
viewtopic.php?t=22

Unread postby niels » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Nesto wrote:You'll see the Amazon cord I got is 14AWG (American Wire Gauge - what does the rest of the world use?).

We use mm², so 14AWG would be the equivalent of a 2mm² cord. These are rated up to 20A IIRC.

Some more info about the BM plugs: viewtopic.php?p=608#p608

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Return to Potentials owners