Last minute questions

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Last minute questions

Unread postby David » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:42 pm

I am ready to order the BM 50L but have some questions (below) that allow me to procrastinate for a day or two more.

1. I am having a 16 amp commando socket fitted at home along with circuit breaker – do owners think this is absolutely essential? – or have others found a reliable work-around (I am in the UK).

2. How long is the power lead that comes with the 50 Litre?

3. Should I anticipate problems lifting the malt pipe out of the BM after the mash on my own?

4. I will not get thermal jacket initially. Is this a mistake?

Generally I am set on the BM and prefer the scale that the 50 Litre provides over the practicality and convenience of 20L. Though worried about the potential for over production. Eventually I will get the short malt pipe, but right now my budget is designated for the BM 50Litre, and conical fermenters.

Feedback/suggestions much appreciated.

David

David
@davidreynoldsuk
David

Model: 50 litres

Re: Last minute questions

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:03 pm

David wrote:
1. I am having a 16 amp commando socket fitted at home along with circuit breaker – do owners think this is absolutely essential? – or have others found a reliable work-around (I am in the UK).

No but yes, but no but yes but..........If you are getting it fitted then continue, mine is hanging off a 13A 3 pin socket which has a 32A breaker on it, the reason for this is because I am lazy and I haven't got around to fitting a commando socket yet, the plug gets reasonably warm during the boil and I would prefer the commando.

2. How long is the power lead that comes with the 50 Litre?

About 5m

. Should I anticipate problems lifting the malt pipe out of the BM after the mash on my own?

Not necessarily, but it can be a bugger, the only way is to try, you can do it in two stages to drain some of the liquid before hoisting to its highest position, I went for a hoist to make life easier

4. I will not get thermal jacket initially. Is this a mistake?

Not essential, but will help to speed up heating and maintain a rolling boil especially in a UK Winter, there are various methods of making an improvised one, I use a camping mat for a few quid.

Generally I am set on the BM and prefer the scale that the 50 Litre provides over the practicality and convenience of 20L. Though worried about the potential for over production. Eventually I will get the short malt pipe, but right now my budget is designated for the BM 50Litre, and conical fermenters.

Good choice, the 50 with short malt pipe is the one to go for if your budget allows :D
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby David » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:25 pm

David wrote:

BrauTim wrote:
No but yes, but no but yes but..........If you are getting it fitted then continue, mine is hanging off a 13A 3 pin socket which has a 32A breaker on it, the reason for this is because I am lazy and I haven't got around to fitting a commando socket yet, the plug gets reasonably warm during the boil and I would prefer the commando.

Thanks for these answers BrauTim. Confirmation re the commando socket helps. I would rather be buying other things but I guess in the long run it won't sting quite as much.

David

David
@davidreynoldsuk
David

Unread postby paulg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:38 am

+1
I have the 50 litre model and have brewed several times with the short malt pipe ,no problems lifting the pipe with the BM about on a table, 2 feet above the floor.
yesterday brewed for the first time using large malt pipe and about 10 kilos grain.I placed the BM on the floor anticipating difficulties lifting the larger heavier pipe if on the table. Mistake lifted malt pipe ok but then couldnt lift the BM up onto the table to drain wort into the fermenter by gravity.I ended up syphoning about 1/2 the wort out of the BM and then lifting the BM and using the tap for the rest of the wort.I then had to lift the fermenter from the floor into my fermentation fridge.
So I think either a hoist as per others on here or a pump to move the wort from floor to fermenter already in the fridge is in order for me.
I cant stand above the BM to lift the malt pipe if it is on the table as the height of my store room is only 2.2 metres,
paulg

Unread postby bierfest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:42 am

I run mine off a standard 3 pin socket. I have a jacket and find it good. The 50l malt pipe can get heavy if lifting but unless your BM is close to the ground you won't lift it standing at ground level. 50l is quite a lot of beer. I mostly use the short malt pipe and the long one for high gravity beers.
bierfest

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:11 am

Speidel recommend that you don't lift the BM kettle when it is full as the handles aren't designed for it.

There was a member on HBT or AHB, I can't remember which now who actually broke the spot weld on one of the handles on the side of the BM while trying to lift it.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Lindh » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:26 am

You can make about 27l + trub loss with the long malt pipe so if you can save a couple of liters in a PET soda bottle in the freezer you have free wort for starters. Try this before you buy a short malt pipe, you might not need one. Another way to think about it is; brew 27l and dump a few down the drain before fermentation. How much homemade wort equals a short malt pipe? About 300l? Depends on hop bill but you get the point.
To brew 25-27l wort, start with 41l of water and you be good to go. Here is my calculation:
41l water - 6l soak up (1l per kg malt) - 5l evaporation - 3l trub loss = 27l post boil
Soak up may be less but if you do a hoppy beer your trubloss may be higher.
I made an IPA with this technique you can read about here: http://www.lindhcraftbeer.com/2015/01/g ... -regn-ipa/
Lindh

Return to Potentials owners