A few questions

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

A few questions

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm very close to buying a 20L braumeister but wanted to check a few things first. Am I right in thinking that the coupling for the tap is a female 3/4" BSP thread?

If I was to build a copper immersion chiller, roughly how many metres (or feet) would I need if the chiller was to hug the inside of the boiler?

What's the distance from the centre pole in the boiler to the outer shell? Could you fit a hop filter with a 6" diameter between the two?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Dr Jacoby

A few questions

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:59 pm

With regard the immersion chiller. You probably won't want to hug the inside of the boiler because of the heating element in the bottom.

I wrapped mine around a corny keg and it fits neatly inside the heating element.

The connection for the tap is a 3/4" female connection. Not sure if it's BSP or not but a BSP nipple fits and doesn't leak if you use thread tape.

Not at home right now so can't measure the gap between the centre rod and the vessel wall, but I'm sure that you'll get an answer pretty quickly here.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Re: A few questions

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 pm

not exactly sure what you mean by 'boiler' and 'outer shell', if you mean the gap between the edge of the center pole to the inner rim of the kettle it's 17.3 cm
dinnerstick

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 pm

I found a great hop filter for the 20 litre BM at what I think is a reasonable price and custom made to fit. $90.00 US

Here it is
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:19 am

Hi Dicko,

The hop filter looks like Chad's one!!
I've been thinking, what is the main advantage of hop filter in comparison with musseline bags? Reusabiliry?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:Hi Dicko,

The hop filter looks like Chad's one!!
I've been thinking, what is the main advantage of hop filter in comparison with musseline bags? Reusabiliry?

Yes it appears to be the same but I didn't think that Chad was mass producing them and the last I saw he was only making them for the 50 litre model.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 am

Dicko wrote:I found a great hop filter for the 20 litre BM at what I think is a reasonable price and custom made to fit. $90.00 US

Here it is

Thanks for the link, that's a fantastic design. I'd go for it straight away if it weren't for the fact that I think it would make it difficult to use my heat stick during the boil, especially towards the end when I put the chiller in.
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:17 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:what is the main advantage of hop filter in comparison with musseline bags? Reusabiliry?

The filter helps to maximise utilisation by giving the hops plenty of space to move around freely. Also, they are very easy to clean and require minimum effort for multiple hop additions.
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:18 am

dinnerstick wrote:not exactly sure what you mean by 'boiler' and 'outer shell', if you mean the gap between the edge of the center pole to the inner rim of the kettle it's 17.3 cm

Cool, thanks
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby niels » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:Am I right in thinking that the coupling for the tap is a female 3/4" BSP thread?

I asked this question to Speidel when I was researching for the Braumeister.

Ralf from Speidel wrote:Sure you can change the spigot. We are using 3/4 inch Withworth thread which is close to the BSP thread.

So, it's not BSP but Withworth thread. You can use a BSP threaded part, but I recommend using "teflon" to ensure a good fit without leaks.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:44 am

niels wrote:
Dr Jacoby wrote:Am I right in thinking that the coupling for the tap is a female 3/4" BSP thread?

I asked this question to Speidel when I was researching for the Braumeister.

Ralf from Speidel wrote:Sure you can change the spigot. We are using 3/4 inch Withworth thread which is close to the BSP thread.

So, it's not BSP but Withworth thread. You can use a BSP threaded part, but I recommend using "teflon" to ensure a good fit without leaks.

- Niels

I'm on the wrong side of the pond (and not a mechanical engineer either!), but doesn't BSP use the Whitworth thread? For US readers, since the flow isn't under pressure, BSW is close enough to NPT to use some Teflon tape to couple.

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:52 am

Nesto wrote:
I'm on the wrong side of the pond (and not a mechanical engineer either!), but doesn't BSP use the Whitworth thread? For US readers, since the flow isn't under pressure, BSW is close enough to NPT to use some Teflon tape to couple.

Some light reading for you if you're keen.

BSP has the same 55 degree angle as a Whitworth thread...................
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby niels » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:31 am

Nesto wrote:I'm on the wrong side of the pond (and not a mechanical engineer either!), but doesn't BSP use the Whitworth thread? For US readers, since the flow isn't under pressure, BSW is close enough to NPT to use some Teflon tape to couple.

You're right. I meant to say NPT, but with all those acronyms I got confused. ;)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:27 pm

niels wrote:
Nesto wrote:I'm on the wrong side of the pond (and not a mechanical engineer either!), but doesn't BSP use the Whitworth thread? For US readers, since the flow isn't under pressure, BSW is close enough to NPT to use some Teflon tape to couple.

You're right. I meant to say NPT, but with all those acronyms I got confused. ;)

- Niels

Between the pipe and electrical acronyms, it's many trips to Wikipedia

Unread postby fy0d0r » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 am

Nesto wrote:Between the pipe and electrical acronyms, it's many trips to Wikipedia

Or a few years in Engineering... :lol:
There is a nice reading on NPT (National Pipe Taper) vs. BSP(T) (British Standard Pipe Taper) and their compatibility.
In a nutshell BSPT is compatible with NPT for 1/2" and 3/4" threads which is our case...
fy0d0r

Next

Return to Potentials owners