99% Decided...

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

99% Decided...

Unread postby timfuller » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:56 am

Have been looking for a while and think that I am about to take the plunge.

The main thing that appeals to me is the ability to have just 1 unit and not a more standard 3 vessel set up. I have 2 young children so the thought of lots of pots of hot fluid and flames and pipes does not really sit too well with the wife....

I am looking at a 20l with Hop Screen, Chiller and thermocollar.

A couple of points..

1) It seems that the first "Mod" that most people make is to change the tap. Does this affect the Speidel Warranty ?
2) Does anyone have experience of using the Short Malt Pipe in the 20l unit ?

Nearly there... getting very excited now as the prospect of clean and tidy single vessel brewing.
timfuller

Re: 99% Decided...

Unread postby royco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:49 am

Hi Tim, just do it!
I can't see how a different tap could cause any failure, anyway just re-instal the original if you need to claim on some un-related thing.
The short 25L pipe works very well.
Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby royco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:50 am

Oops, sorry -- I have the 50L :oops:
royco

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:07 am

never heard of the short pipe for the 20L, let alone seen it reviewed on here. it must be a brand new product, hasn't made it to retailers' websites in NL yet, i only see it on grain and grape (aus), not even on speidel's site!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby timfuller » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:16 am

Yes I think it must be pretty new. The UK Supplier I am going to use (Vigo) were not aware of it until I told them and then they came back to me having spoken to Spiedel and ordered some.

http://speidels-braumeister.de/shop/en/ ... r-20-litre
timfuller

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 pm

timfuller wrote:Have been looking for a while and think that I am about to take the plunge.

The main thing that appeals to me is the ability to have just 1 unit and not a more standard 3 vessel set up. I have 2 young children so the thought of lots of pots of hot fluid and flames and pipes does not really sit too well with the wife....

I am looking at a 20l with Hop Screen, Chiller and thermocollar.

A couple of points..

1) It seems that the first "Mod" that most people make is to change the tap. Does this affect the Speidel Warranty ?
2) Does anyone have experience of using the Short Malt Pipe in the 20l unit ?

Nearly there... getting very excited now as the prospect of clean and tidy single vessel brewing.

You'll love it when you get one!

As far as the warranty, I agree with royco... you won't need to make a permanent mod to put in a new valve. And if you ever need to send your unit back with the original tap, you can just screw it back in.

I know the 50l users like having their short pipe. I have to wonder whether a 10 liter batch is big enough to make it useful for the 20l system. Maybe it's just my setup... I have only 20 liter kegs and go through beer fast enough that I mostly want to brew full 20 liter batches. On the positive side, you could use it to do a double mash. If you check here for a thread about double mashing, there is a suggestion to use the half size malt pipe and the full size malt pipe to get to higher gravity wort.

Unread postby royco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:48 pm

+1
Even 50L goes quickly. At only 3L a night between 2 of us, thats around 2 weeks. A few friends over and it evaporates at a fast pace. 10 L is really not worth doing except for a test batch, and then maybe save your money and do small BIAB brews. :beer:
royco

Unread postby timfuller » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have decided I am going with a 20l and not getting the short malt pipe at the moment. If I feel i need it later and I can always get it then.

I am now super excited and will be placing my order this afternoon, am also going to get some ingredients so that I can put a brew on over the weekend.
timfuller

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:08 pm

timfuller wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have decided I am going with a 20l and not getting the short malt pipe at the moment. If I feel i need it later and I can always get it then.

I am now super excited and will be placing my order this afternoon, am also going to get some ingredients so that I can put a brew on over the weekend.

Good call! You can always expand your Braumeister with extras (jacket, hood, ...) later on when you feel it is necessary. The standard Braumeister is a nice piece of kit! Get used to it before shelling out money for things you might not need.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:38 pm

I really love how clean and compact this system is... However..

I am still vacillating between the BM and the Blichmann BrewEasy. One plus with the BE is that I can brew anywhere (club meetings, etc) and not having to worry about 220v power.. or proper plug adapter. The one downside of the BE is that I can't brew inside on a bad day ( rain or wind).

Is there EVER a perfect solution> :D
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:13 pm

From observations of the BE it appears to have hoses running here and there and from my experience with a 3v system that I had for years before my BM, I found that as soon as you disconnect a hose you WILL spill wort from the connections.
If it was only for this reason I would have kept my 3v rather than go for the BM. i couldnt stand the mess that I used to make when brewing.
The BM is an absolute breeze to clean as well and it is the most portable system that I believe you could use. If you are kind enough to use your equipment at your brewclub then suggest that they supply a 220volt outlet.
You never know, once other members see how easy the BM is then others may want one.
I did a demo at my house for four brewers who were using BIAB and three of them went and bought a BM within the next week. :cheers: :drink: :beer:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:57 am

Dicko wrote:... I did a demo at my house for four brewers who were using BIAB and three of them went and bought a BM within the next week. :cheers: :drink: :beer:

You deserve a sales commission!

Unread postby timfuller » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:41 pm

So I did it....

Ordered a 20l today with the chiller and the SS hood...

Not going to bother with the short malt pipe as I think I will take the previous advice and just do BIAB if I want to test a recipe.

Also found out that Speidel have very recently changed the tap on the 20l. Confirmed with my Uk supplier (Vigo) that the ones they have in stock are the latest.

Should have delivery in the next couple of days ready for my first brew at the weekend....

YIPPEEEEEEEE :drink:
timfuller

Unread postby Oz11 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:05 pm

spookily I ordered mine today, from Brew Uk though, as they were good enough to deposit a 10% discount promo code in my inbox. Didn't know the tap had been changed. Do you know how it has been altered?
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby niels » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:11 pm

timfuller wrote:So I did it....

Ordered a 20l today with the chiller and the SS hood...

Not going to bother with the short malt pipe as I think I will take the previous advice and just do BIAB if I want to test a recipe.

Also found out that Speidel have very recently changed the tap on the 20l. Confirmed with my Uk supplier (Vigo) that the ones they have in stock are the latest.

Should have delivery in the next couple of days ready for my first brew at the weekend....

YIPPEEEEEEEE :drink:

Woohoo! Congratz!

Can you post a picture of the new tap when it arrives? I'm wondering how it is changed...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Next

Return to Potentials owners