Almost There

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Almost There

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:03 am

I love the idea. I guess the only thing I'm a bit paranoid about is all the talk of difficult boils. It would seem that BM would make this less of a topic. I read about it in both 20L and 50L. I know the jacket will help.. and a good supply of current... but..... Seems a slightly beefier heating coil would solve the problem.. ???
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Re: Almost There

Unread postby royco » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:49 am

Hi HbgBill, don't be put off by the boil issue. I have a BM50 and stock-standard the boil is not exactly vigorous which is why most users seem to go for a longer boil -- 80 or 90 minutes.
An old sleeping bag wrapped around it makes a big difference and adding a cheap ss mixing bowl as a lid with a 100mm hole cut out will have you watching for boil-overs! Check the posts on this.

Good luck, Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:15 am

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the boil.
A BM still produces around a 10% boil off over a 60 min boil and that will produce good beer.
The modifications in other threads on this forum are really just for fine tuning...the BM in stock form will make great beer. :cheers:

:beer:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Since when is 80 or 90 mins a 'longer boil'? 90 mins has always been the standard boil length for home brewers with any system!
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:53 pm

stock BM user, no lid, but i do use the foam jacket, no problems whatsoever with boil, at (a hair above) sea level
dinnerstick

Unread postby Lylo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:28 pm

I have no problem with the boil, I have always done 90 minutes anyway. I do use a heat stick to ramp up to temp though to save a little time.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby niels » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Lylo wrote:I have no problem with the boil, I have always done 90 minutes anyway. I do use a heat stick to ramp up to temp though to save a little time.

How much time difference does this make if you compare it with a ramp up without the heat stick?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:01 pm

BrauTim wrote:Since when is 80 or 90 mins a 'longer boil'? 90 mins has always been the standard boil length for home brewers with any system!

Brautim, I bow to your superior knowledge as I am a rank novice. I just seem to have read some recipes for my 3V system (also minimal experience) where 60 min was stated.
Anyway, it seems that 90 min is good even for the standard BM system, so that is what I do. HbgBill mustn't be put off by this.
royco

Unread postby Lylo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:09 pm

niels wrote:
Lylo wrote:I have no problem with the boil, I have always done 90 minutes anyway. I do use a heat stick to ramp up to temp though to save a little time.

How much time difference does this make if you compare it with a ramp up without the heat stick?

- Niels

Thinking in percentages I guess it helps a lot. Probably saves 25%.
However that only works out to about 5 min. so not all that much really. I built the thing though and it is one of my few DIY projects that actually worked :oops: : so I use it!!
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:35 pm

60 minute boil is the standard here in the states... with a few exceptions. However, since I started BIAB, I have changed both mash time and boil time to 90 minutes each.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Return to Potentials owners