Braumeister 20 limitations??

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Braumeister 20 limitations??

Unread postby RinnieBiggs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:27 am

A question for the Braumeister 20 brewers.
I'm currently brewing on the kitchen stovetop with a 3v set up. Long story short the kitchen is now out of bounds so I'm looking at moving into the garage and simplifying my brew day and I've been looking at the Braumeister 20l.
I understand they have certain limitations regarding the grain bill and batch size.
Id like to know wether any of you guys using the Braumeister 20l have brewed https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ome.91488/ or something similar?

This is one of favourites and probable the biggest beer i brew give of take. With my current set up i have all my numbers dialled in, includind batch size. Would you guys with a 20l look at that recipe and say "No worries"?

Im more than partial to a good IPA, and brew quite a few.
So my main question is are recipes with these types of grain bill and batch size achievable on the 20l without scaling down or double mashing?

Hope some of you guys can chime in with your experience, It will help me to decide wether to pull the trigger on one.

Thanks guys.
RinnieBiggs

Re: Braumeister 20 limitations??

Unread postby tcncc » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:00 am

RinnieBiggs wrote:A question for the Braumeister 20 brewers.
I'm currently brewing on the kitchen stovetop with a 3v set up. Long story short the kitchen is now out of bounds so I'm looking at moving into the garage and simplifying my brew day and I've been looking at the Braumeister 20l.
I understand they have certain limitations regarding the grain bill and batch size.
Id like to know wether any of you guys using the Braumeister 20l have brewed https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ome.91488/ or something similar?

This is one of favourites and probable the biggest beer i brew give of take. With my current set up i have all my numbers dialled in, includind batch size. Would you guys with a 20l look at that recipe and say "No worries"?

Im more than partial to a good IPA, and brew quite a few.
So my main question is are recipes with these types of grain bill and batch size achievable on the 20l without scaling down or double mashing?

Hope some of you guys can chime in with your experience, It will help me to decide wether to pull the trigger on one.

Thanks guys.

This is the biggest beer I brew, without sacrificing efficiency or double mashing:
/STATS
Datum: 2018-02-25
4C. Helles Bock - Maibock
OG: 1.070
FG: 1.016
IBU: 26,7
SRM: 7,9
ABV: 7,1 %
Efficiency: 90 %

//GRAIN BILL
Pilsnermalt W 3,40 kg
Munich Malt typ 1 W 3,10 kg
Caramünich® typ 1 W 0,34 kg
tot. 6,84 kg

//HOPS
Northen Brewer 8,4 % 33,0 gr 75 min
Hallertau Tradition 5,8  % 20,0 gr 15 min
Tettnanger 2,3% 20,0 gr 0 min
tot. 73,0 gr

//MISC
Pre-boil volume: 31.0 L
Post-boil volume: 28.5 L

tcncc
tcncc

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:26 am

1.064 and a respectable brew length (>20L post-boil) is well within the limitations of the BM20. It may take you a few brews to dial in the system. The amount of grain you use is very important- too little (not a problem in this recipe obviously) and you risk having wort fountains as the pump forces the wort too fast through the small grain bed which provides little resistance, resulting in channeling, too much and you face more obvious channeling problems as the malt tube gets stuck. #runonsentence. Grain crush is very important, and you will probably find that larger grain bills work best with a very coarse crush, I go with the coarsest possible where all grains are cracked but must husks are intact. I have done many 1.070 (pre-boil) worts, with 26L in the kettle post-boil, I don't have ly logs in front of me but I can dig them out if you want an example of grain amounts, gravities, volumes. Anyways once you're dialed in it's no problem.
dinnerstick

Unread postby mashy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Yeah. That's in.

You will find the BM different. You will curse.
But you will learn its way and then love it.

Search "fast beer"for some bedtime reading.
mashy

Unread postby RinnieBiggs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:21 pm

It does seem more than capable, as long as the mash efficiency doesn’t dip to low. The tips on the grain crush will help too. I also treat my mash water with salts and acid which has helped. Thanks for the replies so far, looking like a good thing
RinnieBiggs

Return to Potentials owners