decisions decisions . . . . .

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Unread postby baikinman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:02 am

So as many before it would seem i'm really torn between the braumeister 20l 2015 and the grainfather. I'm swaying more and more to the braumeister but have read a few posts on here from owners saying they feel the most recent grainfather with new control unit and free counterflow chiller included etc is very attractive and if buying now they'd possibly go for that.

I kind of think i'd be happy with both, after viewing way to many forums and videos it just seems there are a pros and cons with both.

One thing i do wonder about is the 6kg max grain bill, I would like to make the odd dipa, however probably wouldn't want 20litres of it :shock: can i just use maximum malt bill with half (or less) water or does that cause problems ?

Also the way the malt pipe balances on those pins looks a bit wobbly to me , is that an issue at all ? It also says on the site it doesn't require a sparge, is that not the case with the grainfather also ?

Finally can i use the (much cheaper) grainfather hop spider on the braumeister or does it not fit ?

Was just after some final thoughts before just going for it, any comments most welcome.

Cheers
baikinman

Re: decisions decisions . . . . .

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 am

Many, Many decisions lol

baikinman wrote:One thing i do wonder about is the 6kg max grain bill, I would like to make the odd dipa, however probably wouldn't want 20litres of it :shock: can i just use maximum malt bill with half (or less) water or does that cause problems ?

Not at all. It is a very versatile unit.

Also the way the malt pipe balances on those pins looks a bit wobbly to me , is that an issue at all ?

No.

It also says on the site it doesn't require a sparge, is that not the case with the grainfather also ?

Sparge or not, it's a choice with both.

Finally can i use the (much cheaper) grainfather hop spider on the braumeister or does it not fit ?

The mangrove jack fits very well.

Is a good forum important in your decision.. for some of is?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby IPA » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:32 am

I've been using BM's for 8years. I currently have 2 a 50 and a 20. My advice is if you have the money buy one and if you have the space buy the 50 with the optional 25 litre malt tube.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby tsgreen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:21 am

IPA wrote:My advice is if you have the money buy one and if you have the space buy the 50 with the optional 25 litre malt tube.

+1 :beerbang:
Last edited by tsgreen on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsgreen

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:01 pm

I have twice tested the Grainfather and in my opinion it's the best system of all the rest, but the BM is the best of every system out there.
Build quality cannot be compared, the BM is streets ahead, the GF has such flimsy spot welds, the one I tested tore away at the pump recirculation pipe fixings, It needs handles.
I got a good efficiency with the GF but much better with the BM. I sparge and if I want to raise the ABV, I boil a little longer, but mostly I just keep at what I get and gain an extra bottle.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBM all the way. :beer:
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:12 pm

gandalf the brew wrote:I have twice tested the Grainfather and in my opinion it's the best system of all the rest, but the BM is the best of every system out there.
Build quality cannot be compared, the BM is streets ahead, the GF has such flimsy spot welds, the one I tested tore away at the pump recirculation pipe fixings, It needs handles.
I got a good efficiency with the GF but much better with the BM. I sparge and if I want to raise the ABV, I boil a little longer, but mostly I just keep at what I get and gain an extra bottle.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBM all the way. :beer:

Bang on
mashy

Unread postby mbarn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:36 pm

You’re obviously going to get one-sided views on a BM forum. GF is the better value and better thought out system. The mobile to GF connectivity and chiller as part of the standard package is excellent.

If you want a more user friendly system , with a much larger community of users, GF wins hands down. If you want quality workmanship on the metal side, and a more solid system, BM is the one.
Despite owning a 2015 BM, if I had my money again today, GF would be what I’d buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbarn

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby baikinman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks for all the responses.

mbarn its bm owners like you that make the decision harder :lol: i think it may be the bm that i go for though, i'm hoping that in the long run it'll serve me better. It surprises me that you say the grainfather is more user friendly though, from the videos i've seen it looks a bit more fiddly, things like this worry me to:

Cheers again to all though :beer:
baikinman

Unread postby mashy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:12 am

If you are interested in the beer and not the pretty lights and WiFi. Buy a preowned original. If you are buying new avoid the plus.
mashy

Unread postby mbarn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 am

baikinman wrote:Thanks for all the responses.

mbarn its bm owners like you that make the decision harder :lol: i think it may be the bm that i go for though, i'm hoping that in the long run it'll serve me better. It surprises me that you say the grainfather is more user friendly though, from the videos i've seen it looks a bit more fiddly, things like this worry me to:

Cheers again to all though :beer:

One example I will give on user friendly.
GF - download an app, find a recipe and then fire it to the grain father to brew.
BM - spend £90 extra for a WiFi module, have to use a website for recipes and to sync, reviews on system very mixed.

Speidel was the market leader, spent lots on R&D and produced a high quality product in the BM.
GF was able to massively benefit from BM’s R&D and the first GF was basically a half decent copy, with a little of their own innovation. GF v2 is a big step up, with connectivity built in.
The BM plus is a poor evolution. The cooling jacket doesn’t work anywhere near as well as a coil, and I’d bet money on it that the controller still mists up, exactly like mine. My general thoughts are that BM used to justify the premium over GF, no so much anymore.

P.S love my BM, but if I was buying again, I couldn’t justify the difference between GF2 and BM+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbarn

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 pm

If you can get to the Malt Miller in the UK on one of their brew days then it looks from the advert that they are using a row of GFs, might be worth a go if you are trying to decide between the two.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby uk_brewer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 am

for what its worth, heres my 2 cents.

I've brewed on the old school cooler, turkey fryer and pot setup; three vessel brutus 10 clone; three vessel rims utilizing a bcs controller (which i still have). But so far i'm loving using the BM, my only complaints are as follows

1. That darn awful spigot
2. Dead space volume is too much without modifications
3. Lame wifi/network interface. Spoiled by the bcs controller.

But as far as the rest, build quality is superb, as is the repeatability.
uk_brewer

Return to Potentials owners