Few questions

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Few questions

Unread postby Jackson » Sat May 24, 2014 10:05 am

Pretty much 100% going to invest in a 20litre unit later this years but have a few questions before I do

1) Does anyone use the Speidel immersion chillers? What sort of results do you get from them? They dont look as compact as some other immersion chillers on the market so Im worried the reduction in water being used will result in longer cooling times.

2) What makes the copper hood better than the stainless steel hood? Its more expensive and seems more popular

Thanks for any help
Jackson

Model: 20 litres

Re: Few questions

Unread postby Nath83 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:40 am

Hi there Jackson,

1: I haven't used one but the LHBS where I bought mine from spoke very highly of the Speidel chillers. I saw one and the build quality was quite high. However I'd assume that any other decent chiller would do just as good of a job.

2: Just the looks, that's it.

Have a look at Dicko's thread on the cheap domed lid. There's some really good, inexpensive ways to get a domed lid to improve the boil of your shiny new BM.

Cheers!
Nath
Nath83

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat May 24, 2014 4:56 pm

i use the speidel immersion chiller, it works great but i have nothing to compare it to! high quality stainless, good design, chills my wort... that's about all i can say...
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Sat May 24, 2014 8:36 pm

1/ I don't have the Speidel immersion chiller, but I use a DIY copper one. Copper does transfer heat/cold (sorry, bit tired and can't find the correct English term) better than stainless steel. Copper will oxidise when not stored properly (good rinse and dry well before storing in dry place). Both have pros and cons :)

2/ The copper hood was introduced first. The stainless steel one is been available for only a few months. I would go for the SS one as the only difference is the looks. Functionality is the same.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sat May 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi Jackson, welcome to the forum,

Any chiller relies on the temperature of the water that you use.
I bought a stainless steel chiller from a home brew shop and I achieve good results although the water in my area can be quite warm, particularly during our summer.
During the summer I recirculate an ice slurry through the chiller and I can achieve lager pitching temperatures quite easily.

I could not justify spending the money on the Speidel Dome so I made one from a stainless steel serving bowl.
HERE
The genuine domes have a bling factor though :lol:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Jackson » Sun May 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Thanks for your help.

Trying to hold off until later in the year before I buy one, starting to think I cant wait though
Jackson

Unread postby niels » Mon May 26, 2014 6:33 am

Jackson wrote:Thanks for your help.

Trying to hold off until later in the year before I buy one, starting to think I cant wait though

If you've already decided that you'll be spending the money you better spend it now. You'll have some extra months of fun time. :)
Although I understand the hesitation to spend that amount of cash. It took me about 6 months to bite the bullet.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Jackson » Mon May 26, 2014 9:27 am

I think I'll no longer be able to resist temptation once Im back from my holiday at the end of next month.

One more question, seen a few people on HBT complain about temp differential at the start of the mash between the top and the bottom of the malt pipe. Assume this is caused by the grain cooling some water when its added. Cant this be solved by doing a traditional strike water a few degrees above your intended mash temp?
Jackson

Unread postby Dicko » Mon May 26, 2014 10:26 am

Jackson wrote:I think I'll no longer be able to resist temptation once Im back from my holiday at the end of next month.

One more question, seen a few people on HBT complain about temp differential at the start of the mash between the top and the bottom of the malt pipe. Assume this is caused by the grain cooling some water when its added. Cant this be solved by doing a traditional strike water a few degrees above your intended mash temp?

If the ambient temp on the day was cold then you may get a slight variation from top to bottom of the mash, however with the lid on and the pump circulating as it should then I can't see it being a problem.

If you use an ordinary mash tun the temp variation would exist exactly the same but without the ability to recirculate and heat at the same time the temperature would take a lot longer than the Braumeister to equalise.
This is something that I would not be worrying about when using my BM... :cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Mon May 26, 2014 12:25 pm

And if you want to insulate your Braumeister the cheapskate way, you might consider using a camping mat: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70

This cheap upgrade is very effective as I noticed the last 2 brews!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Jackson » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Just pulled the trigger on a 20litre + wort chiller. Im away the next few weeks and want to pick up a few other bits (a ferm fridge for one) but hopefully get my first brew in before the end of the month.

Going to do at least one brew before deciding if I need a hood/ jacket or anything else
Jackson

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Jackson wrote:Just pulled the trigger on a 20litre + wort chiller. Im away the next few weeks and want to pick up a few other bits (a ferm fridge for one) but hopefully get my first brew in before the end of the month.

Going to do at least one brew before deciding if I need a hood/ jacket or anything else

Well done Jackson, you wont regret the purchase. :D

I did quite a few brews before I decided to make an insulating jacket for my BM.
I received mine in the March which is at the end of our summer here and it was not until it got colder that I decided to make the jacket.
Again, the hood would also be a personal choice, it will depend on where you are brewing as to wether you may need one or not.

Cheers and happy BM brewing. :cheers: :drink:
Dicko

Unread postby Jackson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Arrived today. Super quick delivery from Brew UK. In the process of upgrading my entire process with a ferm fridge and a brew bit, hopefully all be in place by the end of the month.

Can't wait to fire it up properly
Jackson

Return to Potentials owners