Want a Braumeister 20l but hesitant on taking the plunge

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Unread postby 4kant » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and happy to have found it.
I'm aware that this forum might be the wrong place to ask such a question...
Anyways:
Interested in getting a BM 20l.
Besides thinking about pro's and con's in comparison to i.e. the Grainfather, my guts somehow lean towards the BM even if the price is quite high, just because it seems to be a bit more sturdy and long lasting ("if you're poor, you can't afford to buy cheap...").
Having read a couple of issues people have come across with the "new" (2015) controller, this made me slightly worried (condensation, controller not fitted right, temp controller not working properly).

1) If I would purchase a BM 20l, is there any version (i.e. production date, Lot number) I should consider where (at least most of) the bugs have been fixed?
2) Having brewed all grain a couple of years in a normal manual system (electric kettle, mash tun) I have respect to start working with a pump with the maintenance and cleaning that takes: how does cleaning work?

Thanks for any feedbacks!
4kant

Re: Want a Braumeister 20l but hesitant on taking the plunge

Unread postby kahobro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am

1: I own the older model and it makes exactly the same beer as the new model. If you don't value the bigger screen and touchscreen go secondhand and buy a used BM.

2: cleaning: PBW in the kettle, add water and circulate over the pump (@ 55 °C). Clean with cloth brush and rinse.
Turn it up-side down and open the pump to check if antything is left there and to let it dry. Opening and closing is done by hand, no need to close it very tightly.
kahobro

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:00 am

Absolutely. They do come up on ebay.

If you do buy second hand you could make cleaning v easy by installing a "lower pumped tap"

Get one.. You will not be disappointed
mashy

Unread postby darrenwh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am

Just got a BM20+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP1XySRFBo8
Upgraded from a Grainfather
1. I think its work in progress, they are constantly upgrading the system and firmware, so not answerable...
2. I cleaned mine with sodium percarbonate (think this is what PBW is?) then flipped it over and wiped out the pump. Some light scrubbing is required behind the element but not too bad.
darrenwh

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 pm

The trick with cleaning is to do it immediately..... Don't let it dry on.
mashy

Unread postby mbarn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:09 pm

When I bought my 2015 BM, the Grainfather v1 was not in the same league. Now v2 is out, I'd have to think long and hard about which to buy. With BM, everything is an extra. You want to connect remotely, that's £150. Grainfather connection is free. Chiller, that's x price. GF included free.
Cost is never my first thought, but GF v2 seems excellent value for the benefits it provides. A second hand BM isn't much cheaper than a brand new GF.
mbarn

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby bierfest » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 pm

I have no regrets about buying my 50l BM. Everything works perfectly and it's like new still. I expect that it will function for a very long time as the build quality is really great.
Getting spare parts is simple (I dropped my pump impeller on a concrete floor). I have never had problems dealing directly with Speidel and everything was sent very quickly.

I would buy it again.
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby RichardBlackham » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:58 am

I just bought my new 20l BM two weeks ago and have used it twice already. I have used the older version many times. My only criticisms so far are 1) that the cooling jacket is not as efficient as they would have liked it to be. It took me 1h 20 mins to bring the wort down to fermentation temp using only the jacket; and 2) the temp readout on the new controller was not accurate it was only down to 39 celsius when the true reading was 22 celsius using a hand-held thermometer.

Other than that the heating was fast and the cleaning valve on the bottom is a good extra feature.
RichardBlackham

Unread postby 4kant » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks for all the replies!
Unfortunately I haven't seen alot of old BM being sold secondhand.
And since my patience is limited and I'm still leaning towards a BM 20l (not the plus version though), as opposed to the grainfather, I guess I'll have to start saving money to get me one, maybe in summer when I have birthday....
4kant

Unread postby mashy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:07 am

Put a wanted advert up here.

Do the leg work and you might have one by the time you have the funds. It will also be a better buy.
mashy

Unread postby Christian H. » Mon May 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Check to see if there are any homebrewing secondhand buying and selling groups on Facebook in your country. In Sweden we have at least two of them and I would check those first if I wanted to buy an used BM.
Christian H.

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby nibber » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 am

I have a Grainfather and 2 x Braumeisters-i think the new Grainfather controller is brilliant-the Braumeister Wi-Fi adaptor is very hit and miss- I only use it to update the firmware-The Braumeister is by far a better quality built machine but that is why it is twice the price I suppose-but the tap on the Braumeister is awful and the Speidel hop guard is not particularly good-I love the way you can pump the cooled wort out of the Grainfather straight into the fermenter.I have never had a blocked pump on the Grainfather but have on the Braumeister.
I did two brews on Saturday using the machines side by side and started at 06:30 and finished at 17:30 in the afternoon-this included all clean up of kit!
They are both very good machines. :mrgreen: :beer:
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

3 machines? Is your ebay account blocked :D
mashy

Unread postby nibber » Tue May 23, 2017 7:28 pm

I like the 20 Litre,cos i can also do small 10 litre batches as well -but wanted the flexibility of being able to do larger grain bills that were beyond the 20 Litre capabilities,so bought the 50 Litre- plus i give quite a bit away to friends+family to get some feedback on the quality of the brews! drink: :beerbang: :beer:
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby richardm » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Richard M
20L BM
Cardiff, Wales
richardm

Next

Return to Potentials owners