Importing a BM

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Importing a BM

Unread postby uberg33k » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:33 am

I was wondering if anyone had any experience importing a BM to the US. I'm aware that there are two retailers in the US that sell them, but after a little research, I find their markup outrageous. For instance, for a US retailer, a 20L BM is $1700 and a 20L Pro is $2300. From a German retailer, I can have a 20L shipped to my door for ~$1100 and a Pro for ~$1700. That's taking into account shipping, exchange fees, and VAT rebate. I have no idea how they can justify that kind of markup. It makes even less sense when you compare accessory prices. A wifi module in the US is $150 and imported from Germany, it's ~$135. That seems more fair. Why is there so much markup on the main unit?

Are there any downsides to importing one myself? Any particular retailers you might recommend? TIA
uberg33k

Re: Importing a BM

Unread postby mashy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:15 am

You might find there is a sales tax to pay on top of the price.

Read the "King cobra" post.

I WOULD *NOT* CONSIDER THE PLUS

Get a Hydra....
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby uberg33k » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:38 pm

I was just using the Plus pricing as an example, but now I'm curious. Why are you recommending to stay away from the Plus?
uberg33k

Unread postby mashy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:35 am

The cooling is innapropiate for what we need. It's stunningly poor performance is already being posted about.....

You might as well drive down the road and through your money out of the window.

The extra $600 would solve the problem better and leave some change for some other kit.
mashy

Unread postby tcncc » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:26 am

mashy wrote:The cooling is innapropiate for what we need. It's stunningly poor performance is already being posted about.....

You might as well drive down the road and through your money out of the window.

The extra $600 would solve the problem better and leave some change for some other kit.

How long is the cooling time for the plus model?

//tcncc
tcncc

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 am

are you sure you won't be slapped with an import duty? i admittedly don't know very much about this stuff, but at least in this country if you, as an individual as opposed to a business, import something that looks expensive from outside the EU the customs poke around and try their best to slap a duty on it, often an arbitrary one at that. if you buy one from europe you can of course get it from our fearless leader niels, the founder of this forum:
https://homebrewshop.be
dinnerstick

Unread postby uberg33k » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm not 100% sure about the import tax. The only helpful duty calculator I could find was https://www.dutycalculator.com/ and it only lets you run one query before they want you to pay to start using it :roll: I punched in 1100 purchase with Germany as the country of origin and it said duty was $2. I think I can handle that. The problem is trying to figure out if you hit some kind of threshold at a certain dollar amount or if I had the product type right. I classed it as a kitchen appliance - other since that seemed to be the only appropriate listing I could find. I'd try to redo it, but I'm not interested in paying $15 just to mess around with the tax tables and hope I get the right classification before I run out of credits and need to top up again.

I tried pricing it out from https://homebrewshop.be but apparently I found a glitch in the store. He'll let you add the item to your cart, it automatically subtracts out VAT, but then tells your there's no way to ship the item. If there's no way to ship, why even allow me to put in a US address? In this case, purchase price in USD minus VAT and plus about $150 for shipping would come out to about $1475 delivered. Not quite as good a deal anymore, but still over $100 cheaper than the next closest competitor in the US.
uberg33k

Unread postby LMoerkens » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:38 pm

It depends how Speidel, or the exporter codes it in the equipment with the "Harmonized System Codes". That will be the basis for the import duty you have to pay here. I looked into it for the same reason a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly the import duty was around 4%, but that might have changed. Then I found a hardly used one on eBay for $1200 and it became a no-brainer to do that.
You might want to look at: https://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff.asp and do your research there.
Good luck, :beer:
LMoerkens

Unread postby LMoerkens » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Here is another website I found in my old notes: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-admi ... duty-rates.

Good luck again, :beerbang:
LMoerkens

Return to Potentials owners