BM20 Plus accessories

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

BM20 Plus accessories

Unread postby Greenfather » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi all,

I've ordered a new BM20 plus but I dont know if the some accessories are compatible.

Is anyone able to tell me if the Thermomcollar is compatible (I think so based on what I read).

And the BAC springer filter, does this fit the plus, or does it obstruct the bottotm outlet.

Thanks for your help in advance

Ian
Greenfather

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: BM20 Plus accessories

Unread postby mashy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Should be.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby LMoerkens » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:20 am

My advise is to start getting experience with brewing with the BM. If you feel the need for more insulation during the brewing process because you cannot get a good boil, consider a collar. If you feel that you cannot get enough wort without a springer filter, consider that.
I have been brewing without any of that in my basement with a temperature between 55-65F dependent on the season without any of this. It is all up to your specific situation, so I would getting started without any of this and add when you really have a need for it. Besides that, the plus should have some extra insertion to begin with, I think :roll:

I know I am Dutch, so why spend extra money while it is not necessary :lol:

Good luck and keep us informed, :beer:
LMoerkens

Unread postby mashy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:07 am

I would buy the collar. But I agree, don't spend the money if you don't have to.

In my opinion the springer is over priced and wildy overrated. There are better ways.

With the money you save on that look at extraction.. If you are brewing indoors you have to think about the amount of stream from the boil.
mashy

Unread postby BarnBrian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:53 am

I'd definitely buy the collar, or make one from a camping mat, the rest can wait.
Brian
BarnBrian

Unread postby BarnBrian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 am

Also as Mashy says, extraction is essential.
BarnBrian

Unread postby Greenfather » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Thanks all, Based on your advice I'll get the collar and skip the filter.

I brew outside so will need the collar if the BM struggles to keep boil going.

I'm coming fron a grainfather, so looking forward to a little more consistency and refinement ;-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Greenfather

Unread postby darrenwh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm hoping to get my 20l+ in the next few weeks, I have actually bought a springer filter, I've read mixed opinion on its performance; with it sometimes blocking, but generally feel it can do a better job at improving efficiency (ie draw another 3 liters out of the pot) and stop me having to get a hop spider that I'm not all that keen on.

Also further down the line I'm planning on getting the small malt pipe and see the efficiency can drop down to 50% because of the leftover wort and hope this kit goes some way towards rectifying this.

Some other thoughts I've had is that since a proper whirlpool should be able to be done without the hindrance of a cooling coil it should be possible to keep most of the trub and hops in the center (hear's hoping anyway), I'm also coming from a GF and been brewing for over 5 years so expect to hit the ground running...
darrenwh

Unread postby mashy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 am

I had been brewing you years before I bought a BM.

It will take you a minute or two to get used to the operation.

Do a water only run. It will be good for you to see a program run , give the BM a wash through, makes sure everything fits and does not leak. Timings might also be important. All with no pressure - there is no wort to waste or bugger up.

You will find silly things you where not expecting...and you can have a play the minute it arrives. :lol:
mashy

Unread postby Greenfather » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 pm

darrenwh wrote:I'm hoping to get my 20l+ in the next few weeks, I have actually bought a springer filter, I've read mixed opinion on its performance; with it sometimes blocking, but generally feel it can do a better job at improving efficiency (ie draw another 3 liters out of the pot) and stop me having to get a hop spider that I'm not all that keen on.

Also further down the line I'm planning on getting the small malt pipe and see the efficiency can drop down to 50% because of the leftover wort and hope this kit goes some way towards rectifying this.

Some other thoughts I've had is that since a proper whirlpool should be able to be done without the hindrance of a cooling coil it should be possible to keep most of the trub and hops in the center (hear's hoping anyway), I'm also coming from a GF and been brewing for over 5 years so expect to hit the ground running...

Interesting, but i read that the inbuilt cooling in the plus versions is compromised when using the short malt pipe. 90 minutes to cool to 20c is one example i recall. Not having to use a seperate chiller was my main reason for buying the plus.

Greenfather

Unread postby mashy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Have to agree. IMO the chilling will be very ineffective and inefficient.
Last edited by mashy on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby darrenwh » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 pm

They say in the manual that it's not so efficient, I was just planning on recirculating with a sump pump out of an old fermentation bucket swapping water out as it cools.
darrenwh

Unread postby mashy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:18 am

Think you'll want an immersion coil or a plate after a few goes.
mashy

Unread postby Uwe-K » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Interesting, but i read that the inbuilt cooling in the plus versions is compromised when using the short malt pipe. 90 minutes to cool to 20c is one example i recall. Not having to use a seperate chiller was my main reason for buying the plus.

I have the BM20+ and using the 10l malt pipe the overlap area of the inbuilt cooling and the hot wort is only few centimetres ( very few )

cu

Uwe
cu
Uwe :beer:
Uwe-K

Unread postby Greenfather » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Uwe-K wrote:

I have the BM20+ and using the 10l malt pipe the overlap area of the inbuilt cooling and the hot wort is only few centimetres ( very few )

cu

Uwe

A good accessory for someone to come up would be a circular tank that slips over the centre pole and displaces 10-12l of wort. Put it in at end of boil to sterlise, and it will maximise contact with cooling area.

I've seen water tanks that fit round gazebo legs that would do somthing similar.

But my recommendation would be to buy the standard version for small batches.

Greenfather

Next

Return to Potentials owners