IC with pump on?

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

IC with pump on?

Unread postby Oz11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Hey up everyone,
I borrowed a 20L BM and did a brew with it on sunday. I chilled with my existing copper immersion chiller but it took a while. I was considering switching the pump on to speed it up, but concerned it might get blocked by the hops. (I use loose hops in the boil, not pellets). Anyone had any experience?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere... a quick scan didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Cheers!
Oz
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.
Model: 20 litres

Re: IC with pump on?

Unread postby Lylo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:53 pm

I can't speak on the whole hops question but, I always chill with the pump on. From boiling to 20C in about 20 minutes.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby bjolu340 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:19 pm

It usually does clog the pump after a while if you have used whole hops - but then again that does not matter - you are not going to use it anymore during this brew session anyway and it is simple enough to clean.

However, if you use pellet hops you can use this feature more efficiently.
bjolu340

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:04 pm

whole hops always clog the pump in my experience. i bag them up, then pin the bags to the bottom of the kettle with my immersion chiller, and then happily run the pump while cooling. indeed cooling goes mush faster with the circulaiton
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Yes, whole hops do clog the pumps and it doesn't sound very nice and I'm sure it may cause some damage if left running.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Oz11 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks for the replies chaps!
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Return to Potentials owners