Grain in Wort

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Grain in Wort

Unread postby newton15 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:27 pm

I recently watched a video on the 10l BM and when the brewer pulled the malt pipe there were grains on the lip, stuck to the outside, stuck on center rod. It seemed to look like a decent sized gap between the top filter and the pipe. Is this typical? I was really interested in the 20l but have read some of people having to filter out the grain after pulling the pipe. If this is typical will have to go back to looking at top down solutions.
newton15

Re: Grain in Wort

Unread postby bierfest » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:50 pm

In general the gap is not that great. In my experience you are more likely to get some floaters outside the maltpipe from spillage as you empty them in. A few may escape the malt pipe. I have never had any issues iwth a small number grains being outside the malt pipe. Its done no harm. Its only if you end up with quite a few outside that you may have issues blocking the pump. Some people have added a rubber seal around the edge of the top cover for the maltpipe. I havent done so and I think the majority of users probably have not done this. I wouldnt be so worried about this issue.
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:50 pm

I have a 20. That sounds like just poor process.

I have had a few escapees while filling but nothing else.

Really. An absolute non-issue. Just goes to show you shouldn't belive everything you see on the Internet :D
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Wezzel » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:27 pm

mashy wrote:I have a 20. That sounds like just poor process.

I have had a few escapees while filling but nothing else.

Really. An absolute non-issue. Just goes to show you shouldn't belive everything you see on the Internet :D

Agreed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wezzel

Unread postby newton15 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have been brewing for a while and as age creeps up on me the desire to brew is still there but not the desire to deal with multiple vessels. After spending years with the traditional top circulation, (small particles and powder get cycled to the top of the grain bed), it's taking me a while to get my head around the bottom up and how powder and small particles don't fall back out when you stop the pump, and grain not falling down and out the hole that is created by the center rod when you pull the pipe. I'll get there I am sure, did consider the grainfather for a bit, but since I'm in the states don't really want to deal with the limited heating element, plus the build quality of the BM is just hard to pass up. Again thanks for the replies.
newton15

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:40 am

When mash is complete you lift the malt pipe half out and allow it to drain.
The centre post is still in the mash at this point and the mash is well compacted.
mashy

Unread postby red ice » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:38 am

I have the stainless hood and use that for pouring grain in. It works great. No spillage!

The filters aren't 100% efficiency so I do find the odd piece in the wort but nothing that causes any concern and is normally stuck to the side with the hotbreak etc by end of boil.

I highly recommend the hood and insulated cover. Very good boil!
red ice

Location: Scotland. I can almost see the Caledonian Brewery from my doorstep

Return to Potentials owners