Looking to buy a BM / any South African forum members?

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi All

I'm keen to upgrade to all-grain brewing and have been researching various systems. I'm angling strongly to a BM either 20l or 50l. Have read through the postings on 20 vs 50. Are there any threads on the cons / weaknesses (notwithstanding this being a BM forum :) )?

Also are there any South African forum members that can share any local issues (spares support, etc.)?
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Sorry, not in South Africa, but here are a few threads in this forum discussing the one weakness of the BM, the ability to brew high gravity beers:
viewtopic.php?t=18

viewtopic.php?t=138

viewtopic.php?t=101

Doesn't mean it can't be done, but you need to be a little creative to do it. For me at least, the benefits far outweigh this con... small footprint, ease of multiple mash temps, time required to brew, efficiency, and ease of cleaning to name the pros I really like.

Model: 20 litres

Re: Looking to buy a BM / any South African forum members?

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 pm

I own a 50BM with the 25L malt pipe, initially I thought I wouldn't be brewing many 50L batches, but for each 25L brew that I enjoy (nearly all of them) then each subsequent brew of the same recipe I will brew 50L, so there is a gradual but fairly rapid switch to 50L batch brewing, but with the option of 25L if I need it and when trying out new recipes.

:beerbang:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks guys

In summary not a disadvantage but a challenge (for higher gravity) and need to find the budget for a 50l. :cheers:
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby leosardinha » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:03 pm

I also have the 50L.

I got a deal and bought it for only 200 euros more than the 20L.

I never made a 50L batch but I also enjoy to have the possibility of brewing a larger batch.

Also for high gravity I believe the 50L offers a little bit more flexibility as you can use both malt pipes or even mash a large volume and longer boil with an ease.
leosardinha

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Ok decision made and order placed.

I've gone "big" that is the 50l one plus a shorter mash pipe. Guess trying to avoid the risk of regret that I should have gone bigger. Only have a once off chance to buy :D .

Now the waiting begins, bearing in mind it needs to be shipped to the other side of the world. :(
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby niels » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 am

Fritzkellerbrau wrote:Ok decision made and order placed.

I've gone "big" that is the 50l one plus a shorter mash pipe. Guess trying to avoid the risk of regret that I should have gone bigger. Only have a once off chance to buy :D .

Now the waiting begins, bearing in mind it needs to be shipped to the other side of the world. :(

Good decision ;) I can imagine the tension you will feel while waiting for it :p

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 am

OK Dirk, found you. I thought Leon had a few in stock? I will be in touch when I get back from Mauritius!
royco

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:57 pm

Having ordered in late April I stated in my posting above "now the waiting begins bearing in mind in needs to be shipped to the other side of the world".

This was partly tongue in cheek. I have however learnt to really "lager" my expectation and not let "my temperature rise".

It took the local agent a couple of weeks to place his order on Speidel. Was shipped end May and is now set to arrive at Cape Town port 17 July. Customs clearance plus 1400km road trip to Johannesburg plus unpacking at local agent means arrival for first brew :( sometime early August :?: :( :(

Cry.
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby royco » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:25 am

Hi Dirk, that is shocking; and to compound things, why Cape Town, when it is an overnight "hop" from Durban? Did you pay the full amount in advance? You should demand that Leon lend you his for a few weeks to get going.
royco

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi Roy

One thing I have learnt is COD. 8)

It is what it is and I am emptying out my LME brewed bottles supplemented by commercial. Fortunately it's winter so thirst levels are slightly moderated.
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby hughjampton » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:45 pm

I always think it's good to have something to look forward to and August is not far off.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Still no machine, not withstanding that the shipment arrived a while ago. :(

The local distributor has left a very sour taste in my mouth - not returning various voice messages. :x

I eventually involved Speidel this afternoon - thumbs up for a prompt response from Ralph. :cheers: This led to an email response from the local distributor this evening. So at least Speidel is standing up for its reputation.

Hopefully I will be able to collect by the end of the week (for order placed 20 April!)
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby niels » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Fritzkellerbrau wrote:Still no machine, not withstanding that the shipment arrived a while ago. :(

The local distributor has left a very sour taste in my mouth - not returning various voice messages. :x

I eventually involved Speidel this afternoon - thumbs up for a prompt response from Ralph. :cheers: This led to an email response from the local distributor this evening. So at least Speidel is standing up for its reputation.

Hopefully I will be able to collect by the end of the week (for order placed 20 April!)

Let's hope you can cuddle your precious this weekend! Too bad you have to rely on such a unprofessional distributor...

But once again this proves how serious Speidel takes quality and customer support!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:09 pm

My Precious was eventually ready for collection today and duly collected. A long cuddle and then set to work immediately. 40l "Kölner" (the Speidel pack that comes with it) is currently being brewed. Mashing well underway. Thread herewith closed :D
Fritzkellerbrau

Next

Return to Potentials owners