Brew Timings

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Brew Timings

Unread postby craigbayne » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi all,

I run a little vineyard and winery, and we're thinking about getting a 50l brewmeister to run once or twice a week and make a few beers. Essentially it'll be a very small nano brewery.

Anyway, I'm interested in how long you guys find that the various parts of the process tend to take with the 50l model (reaching strike temp, for example, or how long from mash in to actually doing your first hop addition?). Basically, I'm wondering because there's a few points in the day where I wont really be able to be near the machine, but I'll need to make sure I'm free to add the grain at the strike temp, be there to take the grain out before the boil, add the hops at the right time and then transfer to the FV pretty soon afterwards. It'll be tricky to work this into my day (i'll definitely need to be out working in the vineyard at various points), but I think its possible!

So anyway, have you guys kept any records for timings on past brews (ideally on the 50l model, as heating the volume of water will vary from machine size to machine size)? I know it'll obviously vary from recipe to recipe too, but it would be great to see anyone's timing notes from some actual brews they've done. You know, it's easy to read a recipe's timings, but it might actually take the machine about, say, 30 minutes to go from the top mash temp to the beginning of the boil.

Sorry if this is a SUPER boring question!

Maybe you guys can share your own brew timings if you've taken notes?

Thanks!
Craig
craigbayne

Re: Brew Timings

Unread postby craigbayne » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Here's a rough timescale (that I'm kind of guessing). What do you think?

2pm - mash in
3:45 - grain out
4:30ish - 5pm hop additions
5:45 - time to cool and transfer to FV
craigbayne

Unread postby BreadMurderer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:11 am

I'm not entirely sure of the timing of the overall process (will vary I guess here and there depending on your brews) BUT I would suggest looking into overnight mashing as that could save you a load of time: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1725&hilit=overnight+mashing :cheers:

Also it's a great idea you have by the way and welcome to the forum.
Drinking: Whatever craft beer I can find!
Conditioning: Nowt
Fermenting: Nowt
Planning: To buy a pimpin' setup on my return
BreadMurderer

Brew Timings

Unread postby mbarn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:48 am

The temp of the water you fill with makes a difference to time, and a number of other factors. The quickest I've managed on a 20l including full clean up (including sterilisation) is 5.5 hours. 6 is a more regular guide. That includes a 1.5 hour mash and 1 hour boil, as well as cool down with an immersion chiller. The rest of the time is heating, and 20 minutes for cooling and 30 mins for cleaning.
As a very rough guide, 40 mins from fill to be able to get the malt in. Then you have the mash time free. You can leave it whilst boiling as well, but need to be aware of Hop times and set a timer on your phone if you're not going to be in audible range.
mbarn

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby LMoerkens » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:11 pm

agree with barn, that is also my experience (slight variations based on the recipe). The only remark is that I never leave it alone when boiling, not only because of the hop additions, but also to keep an eye on the boil that it is not overboiling. That would add a lot more time for cleaning :shock:

Good luck and keep us informed :beer:
LMoerkens

Model: 20 litres

Return to Potentials owners