Bottom up vs top down

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

Re: Bottom up vs top down

Unread postby mashy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:57 am

Welcome aboard. They are all good questions but for me it is about the ability to brew consistently and timely.
I enjoy a greater variety and better quality beer because of the BM.

If you what a cost benefit... It's the time a 3v takes. I used to find out took all day and sometimes some of the following. The BM takes 5 hours and most of that it does on its own.... I am free to get on with other stuff and only have to wash up one vessel :-)
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Icefever » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:40 am

Image +1 it's so easy to use...knocks spots of my 3v setup.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:10 am

1. the pump pushes the grain up against the top screen, which can slide up or down along the post. so when the grain pipe is not completely packed the grain bed is still set upside-down at the top, and the wort runs very clear like a well established gravity-fed grain bed. the difference is that the final lautering is done by gravity in the reverse direction, so the bed sort of has to re-set at the bottom of the pipe. therefore you get some particulates in the kettle, but really not very much. if you want to run completely clear wort to the fermenter you just need to settle the wort after the boil, which of course you would do anyways. in my opinion it's a total non-issue.

2. stepped mashes, there are countless arguments on the topic, and everyone has an opinion, some supported by facts and others not. so i won't touch that. but there are certain grain bills; high percentages of unmalted oat or wheat for example, that benefit from various lower temp rests like beta-glucan and protein. also i love to do overnight mashes, with relatively normal sacc rests and extended mashout, this requires an automated stem mash while i'm snoring away.

3. about 5000 years
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Tipsy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 am

dinnerstick wrote:3. about 5000 years

:lol: The MOST expensive way of making cheap beer.
But I wouldn't have it any other way. :wink:
Tipsy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm

Youtubing Braumeister stuff to "train" the use of it while my Braumeister is being replaced by Speidel due to some rust issue, I found this video.

It somehow relates to the Bottom up vs top down topic. Seems that the guy on the video, inverted the pump flow to have the pump sucks below the malt pipe and overflow the malt pipe from the side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-rERtxxa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_qpIqoxpc

I do not mean that it should be the way to do it, just found it interesting enough to share it as I could find it on the forum.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby jaroporter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:27 am

lower efficiency of 3v? guess that depends on what 3v setup you have, but most i've seen are certainly higher
jaroporter

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Return to Potentials owners