20ltr or 50 litre

Are you considering the purchase of a Braumeister? Please enter and we'll convince you to bite the bullet!

20ltr or 50 litre

Unread postby nibber » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Hello everyone,
Just deciding what to buy a 20 or a 50?,dont want to buy the 20 and regret not getting the bigger version i will probably buy from Brew uk ,i understand i can buy a smaller malt pipe to do 20 ltr batches also wondered what electrical requirements are needed for the 50 as it has a larger 3.2 Kw element and states "professional installation required",also may go to collect it as i understand there have been some damaged in transit by couriers,is it worth also buying the insulating collar? :drink:
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: 20ltr or 50 litre

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:35 pm

nibber wrote:Hello everyone,
Just deciding what to buy a 20 or a 50?,dont want to buy the 20 and regret not getting the bigger version i will probably buy from Brew uk ,i understand i can buy a smaller malt pipe to do 20 ltr batches also wondered what electrical requirements are needed for the 50 as it has a larger 3.2 Kw element and states "professional installation required",also may go to collect it as i understand there have been some damaged in transit by couriers,is it worth also buying the insulating collar? :drink:

Ideally you need a 16A feed (and appropriate wiring and 20A+ RCD) for the 50L, you can get away with 13A on a plug converter (I was running this off a 30A RCD) as I did for many months before buying the commando socket which is available from most DIY places. On 13A the plug got a reasonably warm, in the UK you can install these things yourself, but you will need to get a Part P certificate for various reasons, such as insurance etc (I haven't yet, but then I don't leave my BM unattended for very long on brewdays).

You could buy the insulated jacket or use an insulated camping mat, yes the short malt pipe is a good investment for when you don't want to brew the full amount or are aiming for higher gravity brews.

Brew days will be slightly longer than the 20L, it's more cumbersome and heavier for cleaning and you will most likely need some sort of hoist for when brewing with the 50L malt pipe cos it's effin heavy to lift.

There's plenty of info on the forum, so fill yer boots. :drink:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Wezzel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:50 pm

I like my 20l. It lets me brew more often and build up varying stocks. There's only me drinking and I wouldn't want to plough through 50 litres of a brew I wasn't entirely happy with.
Wezzel

Unread postby LMoerkens » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:52 pm

I had the same dilemma but decided for the 20L because I it gives me more variation. Unless you have a lot of friends coming over all the time or giving it away, 50L is a lot of beer.

If I want a 40/50L, I always can do two batches in one day and put it in the large fermenter. My guess was that I would brew more 20L batches than 50L batches so from a price and handling perspective I decided to buy the 20L.

So far it works posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=1297#
LMoerkens

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Batz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:54 pm

50lt......20lt ones are for girls. :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Batz wrote:50lt......20lt ones are for girls. :beer:

I guess that you will now refer to me as Miss Dicko.... :lol: :lol:

Hey Batz does it count if you sold your 60 litre 3v to get a 20 litre BM... :lol: :lol:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby nibber » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi,
Think i may go for the 20 ltr version as i can buy the short malt pipe for 10 litre batches and like people say 50 ltr is a lot of beer to keg or bottle especially if is turns out not too good,i i think the 20 litre will be more practical and has the smaller electrical element to run off a 13 amp plug top,sorry to be a pansy :twisted: :beer: :drink:
nibber

Unread postby nibber » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Bought a new 20 Litre with the 10 Litre short malt pipe in March this year from Brew UK :D
nibber

Return to Potentials owners